No announcement yet.

Jewish greats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roXy graziano
    hey I'm new to this forum I'm tryin to get a list of all the Jews who held titles from about the turn of the century to the late 30's, you know like Barney Ross and Abe Attell. Anyway, I got a list, I think I'm missin one or two though is anyone knows of any I'm missin I'd really appreciate it!!!

The Gold Star Champs
    Abe Attell
    Abe Goldstein
    Al McCoy
    Al "The Bronx Beauty" Singer
    Ben Jeby
    Barney Ross
    Battling Levinsky
    Benny Bass
    Benny Leonard
    Bob Olin
    Charley Rosenberg
    Harry Lewis
    Harry Harris
    Izzy Shwartz
    Jack Bernstein
    Jackie Berg
    Jackie Fields
    Louis "Kid" Kaplan
    Maxie Rosenbloom
    Monte Attell
    Mushy Callahan
    Pinky Silverberg
    Solly Kreiger
    Ted "Kid" Lewis
    Victor Perez
    i thought most of those boxers were american? what's this b/s about jewish, that's their religion maybe, but they were/are americans.....period.

what are we going to do next, have fighters represent their religions at the olympics??? what a joke? hey, anyone got a list of champions of the many other religions and sects??

Comment

jewish boxing greats

How come nobody includes Robert Cohen and Alphonse Halimi, both world bantamweight champs. Then there's Monte Attell, Jackie "kid" Wolfe, Sid Smith and quite a few lesser title holders, and greats who never held a title but deserve recognition, Lew Tendler, Charley White, Benny Valgar, etc.undefined

Comment

Rossman was not Jewish the way I understood his heritage. He took the maiden name of his Jewish stepmother and cashed in. Maybe he was Jewish in being a converted Jew, sorta like Tyson is a coverted Muslim.

Joe Choynski may have been the earliest great Jewish boxer. He was a Polish Jew the way I understand it. Fought started his career fighting Corbett and Sharkey who were much larger than the 160 lb Joe and beat him. The experienced Choynski gave a young Jeffries hell in a draw and as an old grizzled fighter he KOed young Jack Johnson, chilling him out for a full 5 min. Never got a title shot in any division, but he is in the HOF.

Comment

Originally posted by KidBlackie
          Joe Choynski may have been the earliest great Jewish boxer.
          Sure, Choynski may recieve that honour it you choose to ignore who many consider to be the first "superstar" of the sport in Daniel Mendoza, who also garners his share of support for being the greatest and especially the most talented bareknuckle boxer in history.

Comment

Abe Simon

I seem to recall that Abe Simon was Jewish.

http://www.boxrec.com/media/index.ph...e_Simon:012129
            http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=12129

It mentions it clearly here:

http://www.jewsinsports.org/profile....t=boxing&ID=10

I've never seen him on film but he must have been a bit like Primo Carnera, a scary-looking fighter but with serious flaws in his boxing ability. He also didn't have a great chin or else Buddy Baer and Joe Louis wouldn't have stopped him so quickly.

When Simon's career was over he went into acting and played roles in some famous movies including "On the Waterfront" and "Requiem for a Heavyweight":

http://movies.msn.com/celebs/celeb.aspx?c=155979

I saw both of those movies many years ago when I wasn't much more than a kid and was profoundly affected. In "On the Waterfront" Marlon Brando was asked about his boxing style and he answered "I was a short puncher". In other words he was in inside fighter, my favorite kind. I can't remember Abe Simon's role in those movies.

Comment

Simon's chin was okay. Buddy Baer and especially Joe Louis were extremely hard hitters.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi
                Sure, Choynski may recieve that honour it you choose to ignore who many consider to be the first "superstar" of the sport in Daniel Mendoza, who also garners his share of support for being the greatest and especially the most talented bareknuckle boxer in history.
                Yup..."Mendoza the Jew"...great Bareknuckle legend.

As far as the best p4p Jewish fighter...I'd have to go with Leonard (Benny, of course).

Comment

I didn't know about all these.

Comment

Originally posted by NiGe2011 View Post
                    Perhaps this is not the ideal thread for this question but I thought somebody might know the answer: what is up with the star of david that Judah is always rocking on his trunks and robe?
                    Originally posted by Xecutioner View Post
                    duno, i remember james toney had a star on his trucks for his manager. but i do believe judah is jewish
                    Originally posted by No-Mas View Post
                    Zab Judah is not a Jew.

I'm pretty sure that Zab is not a Jew. He is of that sect called the Israelites - the Black Jews. It's crazy, but those guys call themselves the real Jews - descendants of Israel - and the Jews that you and I know Zab and the other Israelites call them "the so-called Jew".

There a lot of these Black Israelites around New York City and they sure ain't the most friendly or loving people. Very angry, militant, and most of them hate Jews - that's why they refer to them with that derogatory phrase "the so-called Jew".

I could be wrong about this, but I think I might be right.
                    Zab Judah converted to Christianity a few years ago. He was born a Jew...a Black Hebrew Israelite...they are a Jewish Tribe. Ethiopia used to be pretty much Jewish at one time in History and there are a lot of black Jews in Israel...and quite a few in NY. His father Yoel is a devout Jew.

James Toney when he was under the management of Jackie Kallen wore the Star of David on his trunks as a tribute to her...as did many if not all her fighters did.

Comment

Originally posted by roXy graziano View Post
                      hey I'm new to this forum I'm tryin to get a list of all the Jews who held titles from about the turn of the century to the late 30's, you know like Barney Ross and Abe Attell. Anyway, I got a list, I think I'm missin one or two though is anyone knows of any I'm missin I'd really appreciate it!!!

The Gold Star Champs
                      Abe Attell
                      Abe Goldstein
                      Al McCoy
                      Al "The Bronx Beauty" Singer
                      Ben Jeby
                      Barney Ross
                      Battling Levinsky
                      Benny Bass
                      Benny Leonard
                      Bob Olin
                      Charley Rosenberg