Collapse
No announcement yet.

duran vs leonard 3- a sad sight to see

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DMike, i was about to say the exact same thing in the exact same words. the media loved leonard, and so did the crowd, and thats the only reason he walked away the winner that day. hagler hung up his gloves that day, and i wouldve too, its sad that a fight can be decided by showboating and working the crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by The_One77
      I just saw the highlights and i've lost some respect for sugar ray leonard, i felt sorry for duran because he was outclassed and all leonard did was mug to the crowd and beat him to the punch. I saw duran was discouraged and sometimes it almost seemed like he was bullied by leonard because duran just couldn't beat the **** out of him.
      Leonard showed signs of their second fight of how he humialted him into the 'no mas' scenario.
      I was glad when duran gave him a fat cut in the last round on his eye.
      Go DURAN!

Love Leonard and Duran, but the 3rd fight was just a payday. It sucked!!

Comment

Originally posted by The_One77
        I just saw the highlights and i've lost some respect for sugar ray leonard, i felt sorry for duran because he was outclassed and all leonard did was mug to the crowd and beat him to the punch. I saw duran was discouraged and sometimes it almost seemed like he was bullied by leonard because duran just couldn't beat the **** out of him.
        Leonard showed signs of their second fight of how he humialted him into the 'no mas' scenario.
        I was glad when duran gave him a fat cut in the last round on his eye.
        Go DURAN!
        You're lucky that all you saw were the highlights.

It was truly a pititable spectacle for anyone watching it and in more ways than one. It may have bee worse than Hagler-Leonard fight if such a thing is possible so I can relate to everything you said. I can imagine the gleeful looks on the faces of Leonard's fans as they watched leonard embarrass and outclass Duran.

On the bright side, Leonard got his just desserts in his very next fight as the tables were turned and Ray was now in the very same role as Duran.

Leonard fans will NEVER get over that one because Ray was supposed to get by Norris without a problem. Norris was a hage underdog and most people didn't even know who he was.I told this one guy after the Hagler fight, Leonard cannot beat a good young black fighter. I didn't even know at the time leonard would continue his career. I just knew that if he ever faced a youthful fighter that had the goods, he would lose and he did.

My point is that if Leonard was really as good as everyone had been saying he was for the entire decade of the 80's, he should have have had no problems with this unknown fighter. At the very least, he should have made it close but he didn't even give Terry a fight. Only the second round was competitive. But leonard seemed to get hurt in just about every round including the first in which he fell into the ropes from a bosy shot. I was surprised that he really couldn't take a punch.

I had first seen this problem back in 79 when he faced slapper Marcos Geraldo who clipped him on the chin three times in the third round and he went spaghetti legs three times. It was like a preview of leonard-Camacho as he kept stumbling back across the ring. It's pretty hard to cover up the fact that you have a glass jaw. This is probably why Ray had to be so selective with his opponents after 1982.

In the Norris fight, the only excuse Ray's supporters can come up with is "Ray got old-he was shot". But look athis last fight with Duran. He looked perfectly fine and won all 12 rounds.

Do shot fighters run around the ring no stop for 12 rounds? This is something his fans never could answer. They don't know how . They just keep repeatting themselves. Saying "He got old" and hoping others will somehow believe them.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectPunch
          duran in his prime would beat leonard in his prime. duran was past his prime in their first fight in montreal and still dominated leonard from first bell to last.in his prime he had amazing stamina,power and good speed.he also had good counterpunching skills,but is best as a banger. he was relentless and used his jab and slipped to get inside, and when he was in he punished his opponents with brutal combinations to the body. yes leonard would have a chance of stayin away from him in the first few rounds, but soon fatigue would be setting in and duran would slow him down and finish him off.duran in his prime could keep a fast pace throughout a fight and this would be telling in the later rounds.

Duran absolute best fight above lightweight was in Montreal, it was also his biggest win. Don't give this bull**** about prime Duran, he was 29 years old, in his best fight and all he got was close decision when Leonard fought his fight. And it was Duran who was tired in late rounds and Leonard took them. Duran fought regularly above lightweight for years but he didn't fight anybody Leonard, Hearns level in lightweight, Buchanan and De Jesus isn't. If you say that mythical p4p matchup, lightweight duran vs welterweight Leonard then I can take your arguments seriously.
          Anyway, I say Hearns still KO-s prime welterweight Duran(who fought in Montreal) with couple of rounds, Leonard outboxes him, Benitez, well this is tough call. I think Duran can rock him but if he doesn't knock him out Benitez wins comfortable decision.
          It's about styles, not about who looked better in their weight class. Hagler was monster like Duran in his weight but watch his fight with Duran and Leonard and you see different picture.
          Last edited by fabulous; 12-07-2005, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Duran a Bully

Originally posted by solo1bc
            The best way to fight a bully like Duran is to frustrate the hell out of them! Sugar Ray did what he had to do to win and you can't argue with that!
            Roberto Duran is in my very humble opinion is one of the greatest fighters that has walked this earth and was robbed by Hector(love to hate him) Camacho in his last comeback fight.

Comment

Duran was a macho pig and deserved it, just like Ray was a egotistical manipulator and deserved to be layed out by Macho Camacho. We feel bad for losses by Foreman or Hagler, real men, not jerked up Ray or jacked off Roberto being humiliated.

Comment

It was just a money fight

Comment

Originally posted by czars_salad View Post
                  hagler may have won that fight. leonard would launch a barrage of punches in the first 30 seconds of a round, then hagler outclassed leonard in the middle part of all rounds....up to the last 30 seconds wherein leonard unleash another flurry of punches.

it was like this, leonard won the fight based on impressions. but it was hagler who really fought a real fight
                  Tell you what! aa) Wanted Hagler to WIN! bb) Hagler (going in) deserved to WIN cc) Leonard won double the rounds. How could Marvin WIN if Ray Leonard won twice as many rounds?

Comment

Originally posted by KingAbdullah View Post
                    You're lucky that all you saw were the highlights.

It was truly a pititable spectacle for anyone watching it and in more ways than one. It may have bee worse than Hagler-Leonard fight if such a thing is possible so I can relate to everything you said. I can imagine the gleeful looks on the faces of Leonard's fans as they watched leonard embarrass and outclass Duran.

On the bright side, Leonard got his just desserts in his very next fight as the tables were turned and Ray was now in the very same role as Duran.

Leonard fans will NEVER get over that one because Ray was supposed to get by Norris without a problem. Norris was a hage underdog and most people didn't even know who he was.I told this one guy after the Hagler fight, Leonard cannot beat a good young black fighter. I didn't even know at the time leonard would continue his career. I just knew that if he ever faced a youthful fighter that had the goods, he would lose and he did.

My point is that if Leonard was really as good as everyone had been saying he was for the entire decade of the 80's, he should have have had no problems with this unknown fighter. At the very least, he should have made it close but he didn't even give Terry a fight. Only the second round was competitive. But leonard seemed to get hurt in just about every round including the first in which he fell into the ropes from a bosy shot. I was surprised that he really couldn't take a punch.

I had first seen this problem back in 79 when he faced slapper Marcos Geraldo who clipped him on the chin three times in the third round and he went spaghetti legs three times. It was like a preview of leonard-Camacho as he kept stumbling back across the ring. It's pretty hard to cover up the fact that you have a glass jaw. This is probably why Ray had to be so selective with his opponents after 1982.

In the Norris fight, the only excuse Ray's supporters can come up with is "Ray got old-he was shot". But look athis last fight with Duran. He looked perfectly fine and won all 12 rounds.

Do shot fighters run around the ring no stop for 12 rounds? This is something his fans never could answer. They don't know how . They just keep repeatting themselves. Saying "He got old" and hoping others will somehow believe them.
                    Guy! I know you ARE "all serious", HAAAAAAAAA but, Serious back at you! Have you been smoking something?
                    : ) NO! I know! You just a Novice CUB!
                    Tell you what......you are in Kindergarden with this discussion. What is your FAVORITE SPORT? What is your FIELD? I want "equal trade" here!

Comment

I was just an infant when they first fought.. I was really hyped to see part 3... Total dud..

Very similar to a modern day floyd fight as too the way Ray pretty much dominated and made it kinda boring

Comment

Working...
                      X