No announcement yet.

The overrated Roberto Duran

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
    Yes. A lot of people don't rate Joe Gans, Sam Langford, Barbados Joe Walcott, because that's simply far too back for them. Duran is definitely one of the greatest modern fighters and it's no surprise to see him rated above the previously mentioned names because of this.

Benny Leonard has the best resume of wins at lightweight for me. However Duran could very well beat him in a head-to-head match-up.
    Just answer the question in a straight manner.

Considering someone knew all of those fighters and knew everything they needed to know, and they didn't rate Duran in a top 10 P4P all-time list. Would that be understandable?

Considering someone knew everything about Duran, Leonard, Gans, etc. And they didn't rate Duran as the greatest lightweight of all-time. Is that understandable?

Yes or no answers, only.

Comment

• Originally posted by Method Checker View Post
      Just answer the question in a straight manner.

Considering someone knew all of those fighters and knew everything they needed to know, and they didn't rate Duran in a top 10 P4P all-time list. Would that be understandable?

Considering someone knew everything about Duran, Leonard, Gans, etc. And they didn't rate Duran as the greatest lightweight of all-time. Is that understandable?

Yes or no answers, only.
      Sometimes there is no clear "yes" or "no".

I've said it before that it's understandable not to rate Duran in the top 10 or as the greatest lightweight of all time. I believe I've been rather clear about that. However a case can also be made that Duran is top 10 p4p and the greatest lightweight of all time. Someone might look at the film of Gans and Leonard and say there's no way they could ever beat a prime Duran. Another might say that Gans and Leonard accomplished more.

Comment

Sometimes there is no clear "yes" or "no".

I've said it before that it's understandable not to rate Duran in the top 10 or as the greatest lightweight of all time. I believe I've been rather clear about that. However a case can also be made that Duran is top 10 p4p and the greatest lightweight of all time. Someone might look at the film of Gans and Leonard and say there's no way they could ever beat a prime Duran. Another might say that Gans and Leonard accomplished more.
        Fair enough. So he can be overrated. Thank you for establishing that.

Comment

Fair enough. So he can be overrated. Thank you for establishing that.
          I believe overrating Duran would be calling him the best fighter of all time, which he clearly is not, or top 5 at welterweight which he isn't either. Or the Jack Dempsey example since many rate him in their top 10 pound for pound. If a solid case can be made that Duran is top 10 or the number 1 at lightweight then it's not truly overrating him, in my opinion.

Comment

I believe overrating Duran would be calling him the best fighter of all time, which he clearly is not, or top 5 at welterweight which he isn't either. Or the Jack Dempsey example since many rate him in their top 10 pound for pound. If a solid case can be made that Duran is top 10 or the number 1 at lightweight then it's not truly overrating him, in my opinion.
            In your opinion. He can still be overrated, in the eyes of others.

Comment

In your opinion. He can still be overrated, in the eyes of others.
              I guess we will just have to disagree here then.

Comment

I guess we will just have to disagree here then.
                We will have to disagree on where he's rated, yes. But I would say that I've won this debate.

Comment

We will have to disagree on where he's rated, yes. But I would say that I've won this debate.
                  I think better points were made for Duran than against him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tsukiyomi View Post
                    I think better points were made for Duran than against him.
                    On the contrary.

The debate was about whether Duran can be considered overrated. He tried to show me how Duran is a top 10 all-time great and a top 3 lightweight. He failed. I tried to show him the opposite. I failed.

But he did agree with me on one thing: Duran can be overrated.

Comment

• Any fighter can be overated, seems like you were pretty much arguing over a couple of spaces in either pfp or LW lists.

Comment

Working...
                      X