No announcement yet.

Ezzard Charles or Ray Leonard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by donkim View Post
    LMAO at this Duran and Hagler apologist having the nerve to accuse others of ducking certain fighters.

Your idols ducked and dropped their title's rather than face their mandatories,one of which you included on that list of fighters that Leonard "supposedly" ducked.
    Who ducked who exactly? Are you new to the sport? I am asking because you seem to worry about mandatories...

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
      Who ducked who exactly? Are you new to the sport? I am asking because you seem to worry about mandatories...

Duran ducked McCallum(his mandatory) and Miss.Marvis ducked Graham(his mandatory).

You're accusing Leonard of avoiding fighters that he didn't have to fight and yet turn a blind eye to fighters that your idols did have to fight.
      Last edited by donkim; 01-25-2010, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Method Checker View Post
        It was common for a fighter to beat someone and then lose to that same person in a rematch multiple times.
        Charles went 3-0 against Moore, and he is on the winning side of most series he had against other HoFers.

So retiring because of a vision problem means they're ducking someone?
        Are you talking about Hagler or Hearns? Because I was talking about Hagler.

He was finishing off his career and you're bashing him for not continuing against the up and coming fighters? Wow..
        What was Charles doing at that age? I am not blaming Leonard for taking wise business decisions, but wise business decions do not constitute a legacy.

Comment

Duran wasn't at his best but it was still a better win than either Kinchen or Olajide.
          I would not be quite sure, considering Duran had not beat anyone worth noting at the weight. It was a better win by name, not by relevance at the weight.

Comment

Ezzard's resume far surpasses Leonard's as Charles consistently fought great contenders to numerous hall of famer's in one of boxing's toughest era's.

He is arguably the greatest Light Heavyweight of all-time, and top 10 Heavyweight of all-time.

People seem to forget that Charles lacked his killer instinct after the unfortunate events following the Sam Baroudi fight, and that he never went for the knock-out as much as previous fights, following that disaster. If the Baroudi death never happened, who knows what Charles could have achieved if his mind was still 100%.

Also, i'm not so sure Method Checker has seen the Charles/Marciano fights. A past-prime Charles fought a close fight in their first encounter, not a clear decision as he suggested, and in their second meeting, Charles had busted up Rocky's nose pretty bad which nearly forced the fight to be stopped. Marciano showed his heart and true grit in that fight, to come back and knock Charles out. A past-prime Charles.

Comment

Charles went 3-0 against Moore, and he is on the winning side of most series he had against other HoFers.
              I was specifically talking about his opponents, rather than himself. Some of his opponents were HOFers because they beat each other and then lost to each other in series. Anyone who does that nowadays wouldn't likely become a hall of famer.

Are you talking about Hagler or Hearns? Because I was talking about Hagler.
              Sorry. I thought you were talking about Hearns.

The Hagler rematch never happened because they couldn't agree on negotiations. Leonard "retired" and Hagler walked away fed up.

Leonard did retire a lot but that doesn't change what he accomplished.

What was Charles doing at that age? I am not blaming Leonard for taking wise business decisions, but wise business decions do not constitute a legacy.
              You mean what was Charles doing past his prime? Fighting on to make a living. But the fact is that he lost most of his fights against top notch opponents.

Comment

I would not be quite sure, considering Duran had not beat anyone worth noting at the weight. It was a better win by name, not by relevance at the weight.

Typical Duran apologist.The weight class that Duran fought Leonard at was the exact weight that he fought Iran barkley at.......regardless of which title was contested

Now granted,Duran picked up a gift decision against barkley,but Duran apologists such as yourself still claim what a great win and a great performance that it was by Duran.

You can't have it both ways,laddy.
                Last edited by donkim; 01-25-2010, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Despite it being for a title in another weight division, Duran and Leonard fought at the same weight as Duran's last fight against Barkley where Duran won a middleweight title. Even though it is a somewhat controversial fight, he still fought competitively and managed to win a title.

Comment

Originally posted by black.ink View Post
                    Ezzard's resume far surpasses Leonard's as Charles consistently fought great contenders to numerous hall of famer's in one of boxing's toughest era's.

He is arguably the greatest Light Heavyweight of all-time, and top 10 Heavyweight of all-time.

People seem to forget that Charles lacked his killer instinct after the unfortunate events following the Sam Baroudi fight, and that he never went for the knock-out as much as previous fights, following that disaster. If the Baroudi death never happened, who knows what Charles could have achieved if his mind was still 100%.

Also, i'm not so sure Method Checker has seen the Charles/Marciano fights. A past-prime Charles fought a close fight in their first encounter, not a clear decision as he suggested, and in their second meeting, Charles had busted up Rocky's nose pretty bad which nearly forced the fight to be stopped. Marciano showed his heart and true grit in that fight, to come back and knock Charles out. A past-prime Charles.
                    Excellent post.

Comment

Originally posted by black.ink View Post
                      If I didn't see it, I wouldn't be talking about it. So don't act like I haven't seen it just because my opinions differ from yours.

Like I said, Charles managed to win a good number of rounds but I felt Marciano was the clear winner. That doesn't mean it was shut-out, though.

And I already elaborated on the second fight. Marciano came back and did what he needed to do to win, after being ahead on the scorecards.

Comment

Working...
                      X