Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

According To Emmanuel Steward, Pacquiao is greater than.......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Pac is a little underrated historically here, but he is not top 15, let alone top 5. He does have tremendous talent and a style that gives him a shot against many of the best ever, but come on people have got to be realistic.

You can make a case for top 20, but that's it. Personally, when you factor in the different eras fighters fought in, weight classes, styles, and the fact very few people have seen all these fighters, I think all time rankings are impossible.
    Last edited by bojangles1987; 01-15-2010, 07:34 AM.

Comment

It's a bit soon to be ranking him amongst history's greatest..
      He has all the hallmarks of an ATG, but hell, I don't think he's turned 30 yet!
      If, as & when he does a job on PBF, then yes, he'll be right up there, but say there's a shock in his next fight (they do happen you know) then quite a few people are going to end up with egg all over their faces.. Fighters should be ranked after they retire, but this is with the exception of Evander Holyfield because he never will..

Comment

Originally posted by TheStoneRoses View Post
        It's not about hating a fighter or trying to discredit him, its about trying to look at it objectively......Many Pacquiao fans on this site honestly believe he's better than Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson.....there was this guy who called into Horus's radio show yesterday, who's name was RobTC and he said that Pacquiao will knock Robinson out in 1 round and that Pacquiao would beat Muhammad Ali at a catchweight......and im not lying, download the show from Horus's talkshoe page, Pacquiao fans are delusional
        Do not generalize, there are Pacquiao fans here who look at it as fair as possible..
        What Steward said was his own opinion, like any of us have..
        I for one believe he is not at top 5.. but hey I won't be surprise if experts would rank him inside of top-5, because I for one rank him very high.. but I prefer not to rate him yet since he's still active..

let me post what I posted in NSB..

I won't say any number where I feel Manny should belong.
        I'll just post some facts, which I know most if not ALL
        people here know, but prefer to neglect because of hate
        rather than welcome it as fair as possible.....

List of "Fighters of the Decade":

1910s: Sam Langford
        1920s: Benny Leonard
        1930s: Henry Armstrong
        1940s: Sugar Ray Robinson
        1950s: Sugar Ray Robinson
        1960s: Muhammad Ali
        1970s: Roberto Duran
        1980s: Ray Leonard
        1990s: Roy Jones Jr
        2000s: Manny Pacquiao

Multiple Awardee of "Figther of the Year":

Muhhamad Ali - 5
        Joe Louis - 4
        Manny Pacquiao - 3
        Joe Frazier - 3
        Evander Holyfield - 3
        Sugar Ray Robinson - 2
        Ezzard Charles - 2
        Rocky Marciano - 2
        Gene Tunney - 2
        James Toney - 2
        Harry Greb - 2
        Dick Tiger - 2
        Ingemar Johansson - 2
        Floyd Mayweather - 2
        Floyd Patterson - 2
        Tommy Loughran - 2

List of Multiple Weight Division Champion:

Manny Pacquiao - 7
        Oscar Dela Hoya - 6
        Thomas Hearns - 5
        Sugar Ray Leonard - 5
        Floyd Mayweather - 5
        Pernell Whitaker - 4
        Roberto Duran - 4
        Roy Jones Jr. - 4
        Leo Gomez - 4
        Okay, I know how great is SRR, Armstrong, Ali, Louis, Pep
        don't lecture me with all their achievements and others..
        but rather look at where is Pacquiao's name being grouped.
        and please don't try to stir the blood issue, rational people
        know this aint nothing but crap..
        Last edited by tanibanana; 01-16-2010, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tanibanana View Post
          Do not generalize, there are Pacquiao fans here who look at it as fair as possible..
          What Steward said was his own opinion, like any of us have..
          I for one believe he is not at top 5.. but hey I won't be surprise if experts would rank him inside of top-5, because I for one rank him very high.. but I prefer not to rate him yet since he's still active..

let me post what I posted in NSB..

Okay, I know how great is SRR, Armstrong, Ali, Louis, Pep
          don't lecture me with all their achievements and others..
          but rather look at where is Pacquiao's name being grouped.
          and please don't try to stir the blood issue, rational people
          know this aint nothing but crap..
          i didnt mean to generalise but let me ask you this.....how can pacquiao fans honestly bring up him being a 7 weight division champ when they are comparing him to fighters of the past????? there are 17 weight classes with 5, 6 belts in every division....and the ring belt he won against barrera isnt even legit....wtf is the ring belt??? WBO, WBA, WBC, IBF, IBO is more than enough without having the ring belt also.......this achievement is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by rene s View Post
            you are a dumb ******* like your coward idol
            That wasn't really necessary. No, you're right not ALL Pac fans are delusional. I'm a Pac fan, been so since his first Barrera fight, but I think that as of now he just might be TOP 20 and should he beat Clottey -- which I think he will -- and Mayweather -- and there's a good chance he will then and only then can we start talking about TOP 10 and TOP 5.

He is a phenomenal talent. He went from a wide-swinging brawler willing to get hit to a disciplined fighter with a great D. The man may yet be a TOP 5 fighter. But right now he's not. Let's see him clear out the welterweight division first.

Comment

Originally posted by TheStoneRoses View Post
              i didnt mean to generalise but let me ask you this.....how can pacquiao fans honestly bring up him being a 7 weight division champ when they are comparing him to fighters of the past????? there are 17 weight classes with 5, 6 belts in every division....and the ring belt he won against barrera isnt even legit....wtf is the ring belt??? WBO, WBA, WBC, IBF, IBO is more than enough without having the ring belt also.......this achievement is overrated
              we share the same sentiment with the ever growing number of world titles.. but can you blame Pacquiao for acquiring that much of world titles.. when he did win some of those belts he did beat the best guys in that division.. okay Diaz is not.. but how about Hatton 140, 126 Barrera. etc.. my point is, IF there is only ONE belt at one division, most likely Pac have already won it.. since Pacman beat the top guy in the weight division.. Probably not that many, probobly that many, who knows? In that case you have a VERY SOLID argument, but unfortunately I was sharing a FACT.. For now I won't be arguing anyone where Pacquiao's legacy should stand since he is still active.. Who knows, Clottey might knock my hero out. If for most people won't call him a Top-5 ATG guy, i got no problem with it. Right now I am just satisfied calling him 2000's fighter of the decade & 3-time fighter of the year..
              Last edited by tanibanana; 01-16-2010, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X