Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Year's trivia: 5 easy(?) questions for the boxing historian.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"He never won the world heavyweight crown... but he fought more men who challenged for this title than any other non-champion."

Well, hhascup... by this i mean fighters who challenged, successfully or unsuccessfully, for the heavyweight crown. So we're counting both champs, and challengers who didn't win the title.

Good job with the first two questions - you got both Ted Kid Lewis and Angel Robinson Garcia right!

But as I mentioned earlier, we have to go back to 1908 to find the answer to question 3... so it's not Louis Salica.

Comment

Originally posted by TysonJones3 View Post
      I think number 5 is jerry quarry.
      Jerry quarry is right up there... but it's not him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
        Jerry quarry is right up there... but it's not him.
        Jesse Ferguson?

Comment

3. Matt Wells

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
            Jesse Ferguson?
            You are very close... Ferguson is actually runner-up in this category!

Comment

Originally posted by eyeofdatiger View Post
              3. Matt Wells
              Exactly! He outpointed future champ Valdemar Holberg in the 1908 Olympics.

Comment

5. Joe Bugner

Comment

Originally posted by hhascup View Post
                  5. Joe Bugner
                  Yes my man, you are right - again!

This means, that we now have all the answers we were looking for.

Thanks to all who played along. Many good suggestions - even those that weren't spot on. Hope you had some fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
                    Yes my man, you are right - again!

This means, that we now have all the answers we were looking for.

Thanks to all who played along. Many good suggestions - even those that weren't spot on. Hope you had some fun.
                    No thank you!

I should have gotten the Olympic question too but I tried to answer it without doing any research and that is what I get. PLUS, I have done a lot of research on the Olympic Games on all sports in the past, for the local papers around New Jersey and New York.

I got into it too late to get the one on Walcott. We put up a monument of him in Camden New Jersey a few years ago and I was the guest speaker.

http://www.trufanboxing.com/origin11.jpg

That's me in the middle, along with Pierre Benoist and Pete Nozza.

Thanks again, Henry Hascup

Comment

Originally posted by hhascup View Post
                      No thank you!

I should have gotten the Olympic question too but I tried to answer it without doing any research and that is what I get. PLUS, I have done a lot of research on the Olympic Games on all sports in the past, for the local papers around New Jersey and New York.

I got into it too late to get the one on Walcott. We put up a monument of him in Camden New Jersey a few years ago and I was the guest speaker.

http://www.trufanboxing.com/origin11.jpg

That's me in the middle, along with Pierre Benoist and Pete Nozza.

Thanks again, Henry Hascup
                      Yes, I can understand, that the Walcott question would have been a piece of cake - if you had seen it in time! Nice to "meet" a true boxing fan.

All the best, Bundana.

Comment

Working...
                      X