Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Year's trivia: 5 easy(?) questions for the boxing historian.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GJC View Post
    1) Willie Pep
    2) Fritzie Zivic
    3) Can't think beyond Lewis/Bowe!
    4) Walcott
    5) James Tillis?
    ooooooooooooo i think it was tillis, i was tryna figure out his name again earlier on

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Kindelan View Post
      ooooooooooooo i think it was tillis, i was tryna figure out his name again earlier on
      Don't know whether it was or not but I'm guessing it was someone in that era

Comment

1) Willie Pep
        2) Fritzie Zivic
        3) Can't think beyond Lewis/Bowe!
        4) Walcott
        5) James Tillis?
        Your suggestions make a lot of sense (as I would have expected!) - but Walcott is still the only correct answer. So maybe the time has come for a few hints:

1. At 23 years and 9 months when he reached 100, Pep would seem like the logical choice here... but he is, amazingly, beaten by more than 5 years by the man we're looking for! As mentioned earlier, he was a world champ - and of course we have to go pretty far back in time.

2. Zivic of course lost an awful lot of fights - but not that many to world champs. Our man here never got a title shot, and was never even a top contender. But during his career he met 15 men, who - at one time or another - held a world title... and lost to each and every one of them!

3. Ok, this is a difficult one... as this particular olympic fight dates all the way back to 1908 in London.

5. It's not Tillis... but you're right; he's from the same era.

Comment

re 1) Baby Arizmendi?

Comment

re 1) Baby Arizmendi?
            No... though Arizmendi was one of the youngest pros ever, he was actually nearly 26 when he reached 100. You'll have to go even further back in time.

Comment

He was the youngest man ever with 100 documented (boxrec) fights under his belt.

Ted Kid Lewis was 18 years, 7 months and 11 days old.

Comment

He lost to more world champions than any other boxer.
                Angel Robinson Garcia

Comment

He was the winner of the first olympic bout that took place between two future world champions.>>

Louis Salica defeated Jackie Callura by decision in the opening round of the 112 pound class in 1932.

Comment

I think number 5 is jerry quarry.

Comment

He never won the world heavyweight crown... but he fought more men who challenged for this title than any other non-champion.

I am not sure what your looking for here. Do you want who fought the most Champions or who fought the most Title challengers.

Bert Cooper fought Foreman, Mercer, Bowe, Holyfield, Moorer, Bryd and Weaver PLUS he fought several more that challenged for the Title.

Comment

Working...
                      X