No announcement yet.

Hagler vs. Leonard!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GJC View Post
    Nearest thing to a draw I ever saw. Gun to my head I'd go with Hagler as I think you'd need to do more than Leonard did to take a mans title
    For that fight to be a draw it would have to be scored 6rds each yet after 6rds it was clear that it was 5rds Leonard 1rd even, to claim otherwise is simply deluding oneself... i had this fight 9-3 Leonard and i bet £50 on a Hagler victory, Hagler thought all he had to do was turn-up and knock out Ray Leonard... Leonard knew that the fight would go the distance so he set out from the opening bell to put rounds in the bag, after 6rds it dawned on Hagler that he was not going to KO Leonard but it was to late to win the fight on the scorecards... Hagler was `bitter`and pissed off from the 7th round onwards because he knew he had `blown it`... his bravado in the ring awaiting the decision told you all you needed to know about who Hagler thought had won, he knew Leonard had `wupped his ass` so Hagler tried to blame the judges, when that did not work he tried to blame his trainers and when that did not work he "Blamed his Wife"... i can recall a interview with Leonard only weeks before the fight and he said,"Hagler does not scare me, i am bigger than Hagler, taller than Hagler, more skilled than Hagler and a far better boxer than Hagler, this is gonna be an easy fight"

Comment

hagler should of won,i saw the fight again last night with a couple of friends,we ordered 2 large pizzas with pepperoni,double cheese,olives[black]and anchovies,we washed the beer down with a couple of beers[bud]and the fight though it was filled with action it cleary shows that hagler won every round but the first and fifth,i had it ten rounds to two for hagler,
      Last edited by mrboxer; 12-23-2009, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
        Totally Agree.. Leonard won 9-3rds.. Hagler was very fortunate that Hearns broke his famous right-hand in the opening round or Hagler was getting TKOd in 3rds.. Marvin Hagler is one of the most over-rated fighters of all times, Hagler had the oppotunity to fight 5`6ins Dwight Braxton but wanted no part of "The Camden Buzzsaw".. he chose Ray Leonard who was coming back after 3yrs out and Leonard whupped his ass
        1. Hagler had one of, if not the best chin of all time. Hearns would not have knocked him out as the first round showed.

2. Hagler overrated? Please explain how.

3. Hagler had been trying to fight Leonard since the early 1980s.

4. The fight was not a "whupping", it was close.

Comment

Originally posted by kevintaylor View Post
          Hagler.I think he clearly out boxed leonard.Plus looks like leonard ran alot.
          Uuuhh...no. Hagler threw away the early rounds and never adjusted to Leonards 30 second flurries at the end of each round.

Hagler was beaten before he entered the ring. He'd waited years for a fight and gave up several advantages beforehand i.e. gloves, ring size etc.

Another factor to consider is the age of Hagler at the time. Ray Leonard even admits he saw Hagler was in decline during the Mugabi fight.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewcuff View Post
            1. Hagler had one of, if not the best chin of all time. Hearns would not have knocked him out as the first round showed.

2. Hagler overrated? Please explain how.

3. Hagler had been trying to fight Leonard since the early 1980s.

4. The fight was not a "whupping", it was close.
            Hagler beat lightweight Roberto Duran by 1pt.. he lost to welterweight champion Ray Leonard, He was very fortunate that Hearns broke his famous right-hand in the opening round, "Hagler refused to face Hearns in a rematch"... Haglers victories over Antuofermo, Obelmihejas (twice) Sibson, Lee, Scypion, Hamsho (twice) and Mugabi was all against Class B fighters.. Haglers best win was over rough, tough Argentinian Juan Roldan who Hagler deliberately thumbed in the opening round... Marvin Hagler had several chances to prove his greatness yet refused each time (Dwight Braxton, Hearns `rematch`) All he wanted was to beat Ray Leonard coz he thought it was a `cake-walk` for himself, but Leonard knew that Hagler was an easy fight so came back after 3yrs out and whupped his ass.

Comment

.. i had this fight 9-3 Leonard
              Be 9-3 f you just watched the highlight reel of the Leonard last 30 second flurries and score points for him sticking his chin out. You don't score point for flurries that hit gloves or doing the whirley arm bit. I wouldn't ridicule anyone who scored it to Leonard as it was close but 9-3, c'mon!

Comment

Hagler beat lightweight Roberto Duran by 1pt..
                I'm a huge Duran fan but as well as Duran did Hagler won handily
                he lost to welterweight champion Ray Leonard,
                He fought an incredibly dumb fight and still squeeked it in my view
                He was very fortunate that Hearns broke his famous right-hand in the opening round,
                No one ever knocked Hagler down so to predict a Hearns KO is a stretch.
                "Hagler refused to face Hearns in a rematch"...
                Timeline again, he was limiting himself to one fight a year so had mandatory against Mugabi and the big $ fight against Leonard end of career.
                Haglers victories over Antuofermo, Obelmihejas (twice) Sibson, Lee, Scypion, Hamsho (twice) and Mugabi was all against Class B fighters.. Haglers best win was over rough, tough Argentinian Juan Roldan who Hagler deliberately thumbed in the opening round...
                We adding Hagler to your Lennox Lewis list is seems?
                Marvin Hagler had several chances to prove his greatness yet refused each time (Dwight Braxton, Hearns `rematch`)
                Didn't know he was ever due to fight Braxton, when? You can source this?
                All he wanted was to beat Ray Leonard coz he thought it was a `cake-walk` for himself, but Leonard knew that Hagler was an easy fight so came back after 3yrs out and whupped his ass.
                Agree I think he did underestimate Leonard, but Leonard whupped him?? People are still arguing about this bout 20 years later. Would hardly be the case in a whupping would it?

Comment

Everytime I watched it, I had Leonard winning.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewcuff View Post
                    He'd waited years for a fight and gave up several advantages beforehand i.e. gloves, ring size etc.
                    There were a couple things agreed on, Leonard wanted one and Hagler wanted the other. One was ring size and the other was the 12 round distance(15 was still used by one organization). They each got to pick one of these things.

And I can understand arguements for either of these guys winning. But With Hagler being a dominant champion I understand his anger towards the judges after the fight.
                    Still for Leonard to comeback after a real long layoff and beat one of the best in the world, shows what kind of a special fighter he was.
                    Last edited by cooper5; 12-23-2009, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Totally Agree.. Leonard won 9-3rds.. Hagler was very fortunate that Hearns broke his famous right-hand in the opening round or Hagler was getting TKOd in 3rds.. Marvin Hagler is one of the most over-rated fighters of all times, Hagler had the oppotunity to fight 5`6ins Dwight Braxton but wanted no part of "The Camden Buzzsaw".. he chose Ray Leonard who was coming back after 3yrs out and Leonard whupped his ass
                      When was Hagler given the chance to fight Qawi? At what weight would they fight at? Unless I have eaten too many straight right hands at the gym today I think that by the time Hagler was a big name Qawi was at Cruiserweight.

Comment

Working...
                      X