Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ray Leonard offered Aaron Pryor 500k to fight him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Leonard offered Aaron Pryor 500k to fight him?

Post fight interview

I always laughed at claims that Ray Leonard ducked Aaron Pryor but I never actually knew that he offered to fight him,especially for that amount.Why did Pryor turn him down?

Pryor didn't think he was offered enough money.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
      Pryor didn't think he was offered enough money.
      Do you know his average payday which he was picking up at the time? $500,000 seems like alot especially to fight the biggest star in boxing at the time.

Comment

Thanks a lot for posting this interview by the way. I've seen the fight several times but I've never listened to the interview.

I guess the talk about Leonard ducking Pryor can be silenced once and for all with these words coming from Pryor's own mouth.

Here's more about Pryor's management troubles:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...6084/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Bright-Eyes View Post
          Do you know his average payday which he was picking up at the time? $500,000 seems like alot especially to fight the biggest star in boxing at the time.
          I'm pretty sure that he didn't make any more than that for the average fight of his, he wasn't a big name, but he did make more money against Arguello.

Comment

I remember debating with TheGreatA on whether Leonard ducked Pryor. I thought he did. I guess, in that point in time, he didn't.

Pryor should've taken it, though. That was a good amount of money to make, at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoppage View Post
              I remember debating with TheGreatA on whether Leonard ducked Pryor. I thought he did. I guess, in that point in time, he didn't.

Pryor should've taken it, though. That was a good amount of money to make, at the time.
              Leonard called out Pryor, and Pryor turned it down because both men realized that Leonard would win easily..

Comment

The thing is,I don't even think that it was Aaron Pryor who claimed that Leonard ducked him in the "Pryor vs Arguello" legendary nights episode.I think it was Butch Lewis who said that he heard that Leonard had moved up to avoiding fighting him.

Comment

Leonard would have beaten Pryor...

Comment

Originally posted by Bright-Eyes View Post
                    The thing is,I don't even think that it was Aaron Pryor who claimed that Leonard ducked him in the "Pryor vs Arguello" legendary nights episode.I think it was Butch Lewis who said that he heard that Leonard had moved up to avoiding fighting him.
                    I don't think he ever has.

In 1982 when Leonard retired due to a detached retina, Pryor was one of the fighters who supported Leonard's decision. According to him there were negotiations going on about a possible fight between the two when it was found out that Leonard had injured his eye. Leonard had called Pryor out during the post-fight press conference after beating Hearns.

Comment

Working...
                    X