Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Best Late Comers?!?!?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although this case is slightly different, it is still incredible.

Veeraphol Sahaprom started boxing at 27/28 from memory, though he had been a Muay Thai fighter before that. Nonetheless, his first fight as a pro was for the WBC Int. world BW title, and he won the WBC BW title in his fourth fight, against the great, long time champ Daorong Chavatana.

I think he is easily the most accomplished fighter that started as late as he did. He is without doubt one of the greatest BW's of all time winning his first title in '95 and losing it for good in 2005 at 38 or something against the very fine young champ Hasegawa.

He reigned as champ for a decade with something like 16 or 17 title defenses and beat a hell of a lot of great champions. An incredible fighter. If you have never seen him fight, do yourself a favour and get to it. One of the best fighters to watch and has everything a great fighter needs. Speed, defense, combinations, footwork, power... everything. Loved watching him. A real pity he didn't start earlier as we may have been able to see one of the greatest fighters of all time in him.

Comment

Originally posted by mrboxer View Post
      why are you interested in this for,what do you gain from this information,i could not care less if a boxer was 20 or 40 when they started,so i do not know what your interest is in this type of information but i am not going to go out of my way to find out
      What do we gain from any information about boxers? Just because you are not interested doesn't mean other people won't be.

What do people care about Mayweather's PPV numbers for? It doesn't help with anything related to them or as a fan, yet wankers still go rabid over each and every little ****** number. I think this info is more interesting than that crap so.....?

Also, it is quite fascinating knowing that someone like Campbell started fighting only a few years before fighting Joel Casamayor as pro who had been boxing since he was about five, with all the training being an amateur in Cuba can give you, and yet the only reason he was beaten was his slight lack of experience because he showed slickness, counter punching, and a whole bag of amazing **** that is truly stunning considering he had only been boxing for a few years by that time. For someone with so little experience and training to give so much trouble to another fighter who had been doing it his whole life with the best training possible since such a young age is incredible.

He was fighting with shots and skill that few fighters ever learn across their whole damn career and he had only been training for a few years. Why wouldn't you find that interesting?

Compared to writing or reading about some fighter getting 800,000 PPV's and then being able to use that as an excuse not to take fights, or for his fans to take that as a sign of his fighting superiority, what do you really find more interesting? This is just an example of course.
      Last edited by BennyST; 11-08-2009, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Is Valero a late comer?

Comment

Numerous heavyweights, Marciano, Norton, Lyle, Willard, Rahman, Shavers, etc.

Dwight Muhammad Qawi

Comment

I believe Hopkins turned pro at 26 after like an 8 year prison bid. He's accomplished a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by mod View Post
              Is Valero a late comer?
              No.........

Comment

Working...
              X