Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can You Judge Greatness w/o Video Evidence?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have you read what you just wrote coz i dont know what you are trying to say with all this snobbery stuff,i could not care less what you think coz there is not one fighter from the old days including the 1980s that would be able to fight and be a top ten boxer in todays day and age

Comment

Perhaps you may want to re read what I wrote.

The point about snobbery is that yesterdays boxers tend to get over romanticised.

However, if you think there's not a single fighter pre 90's who could compete today I suggest you go take your head for a ****.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
        I guess Greb is a bit of a benchmark in this argument. One thing I always take into account is there is footage available of guys he beat such as Tunney, Walker, Loughran etc. So I always figure if he could beat them he must have been pretty good?
        I have just realised I have totally parrotted GreatA who said the same thing far more eloquantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Princemanspopa View Post
          No you can't.The major difference between a boxing historian and any other historian,is that the boxing historian is related to boxing,therefore he is automatically a liar and a scam.We could go back and read some old articles on certain fights,and read that one fighter got robbed badly of a decision,but as most cases have shown in boxing,these so called robberies are not actual robberies at all,usually a close fight that could have gone either way,or even a clear decision to the victor.I used to read that Doug Jones was robbed against Cassius Clay,and when I actually watched the fight,Jones never even won three of the ten rounds,and yet these people had wrote it,claimed that it was a bad decision.Not there was footage of that fight to make my own mind up,but there are many fights where there are no footage to watch to make my own mind up.

The point that I am making,is that if they ain't on film,then they most likely suck.
          Now if you could only knock out the highlighted bits you have yourself a very good post there

Comment

Originally posted by QUELOQUE View Post
            There's only so much I can take from word of mouth and hearsay. Resume is the most important part to judging ATG status, but watching the skills for oneself and comparing them to opponents and rivals of the time is also important.

Greb, Leonard, Jeanette, McVea, Jeffries, and numerous other greats get the benefit of the doubt from some and get penalized by others.

What do you think?
            finally, a post of yours i can agree with

Comment

Working...
            X