Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watched Big George Foreman vs Joe Frazier then Foreman vs The Black Kojack (Frazier 2)

Comment

• Watched Glen Johnson against Roy Jones and Yusef Mack this weekend. Glen is the man

Comment

• Going through Tyson's career again, re-watching some fights and watching some I haven't before.

Re-watched the two Ruddock fights - both fairly entertaining. I thought Mike was very lacklustre in the second fight. Looked like he'd lost some speed, and his footwork was more plodding. Head-movement was not there at all - I mean, he was still slipping punches really nicely but he wasn't using head movements to slip inside and let punches go. In both fights, he showed a granite chin, he was taking some bombs from Ruddock.

Also watched the Tucker fight - not the most eventful fight, a more measured performance from Mike, he wasn't as wild as he was a lot of times, but I still quite enjoyed it. Liked how he was slipping under Tucker's right and countering with the left to the body. Always loved Tyson's body attack.

Tyson had a really great jab when he used it, it was a real ram rod, and his timing was great with it, when you consider the reach disadvantage he had.

Gonna re-watch Spinks/Holmes/Frazier/Berbick, and some of the earlier ones too.

Comment

• Originally posted by NutsInTheyFace View Post
          Going through Tyson's career again, re-watching some fights and watching some I haven't before.

Re-watched the two Ruddock fights - both fairly entertaining. I thought Mike was very lacklustre in the second fight. Looked like he'd lost some speed, and his footwork was more plodding. Head-movement was not there at all - I mean, he was still slipping punches really nicely but he wasn't using head movements to slip inside and let punches go. In both fights, he showed a granite chin, he was taking some bombs from Ruddock.

Also watched the Tucker fight - not the most eventful fight, a more measured performance from Mike, he wasn't as wild as he was a lot of times, but I still quite enjoyed it. Liked how he was slipping under Tucker's right and countering with the left to the body. Always loved Tyson's body attack.

Tyson had a really great jab when he used it, it was a real ram rod, and his timing was great with it, when you consider the reach disadvantage he had.

Gonna re-watch Spinks/Holmes/Frazier/Berbick, and some of the earlier ones too.
          I think the Ruddock fights were Belters, id rate them far higher than "fairly entertaining" myself but each to his own. I totally agree on his form tho, he was clearly in regression as a fighter by then, his head movement wasnt as good, he seemed heavier on his feet and a bit less dynamic

Watched Barrera vs Kelly, Marciano vs Walcott 1, Lopez vs Conception, Whittaker vs Chavez and Patterson vs Ingo 1 all this past week

Comment

• Originally posted by paulf View Post
            Watched Glen Johnson against Roy Jones and Yusef Mack this weekend. Glen is the man
            Meh, once was enough!

Comment

• I watched Matthew Hilton fight Tim Williams. Hilton was returning after losing the title and It was obvious he wasn't the same fighter that he was in the past. Williams outboxed him and counterpunched him all night. At the start of the final round the announcers said Hilton needed a ko to win and it didn't look like that was going to happen. Then BOOM! Hilton scored a dramatic come from behind ko!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
                Cheers Shadows, im gonna have to watch this now Lol.

Mora vs Povetkin

Round 1 Povetkin 10/8

Not much happened early but Povetkin managed to drop
                Mora with a leaping left hook, Povetkin showed good
                poise and threw accurate shots when he had Mora pinned on
                the ropes instead of getting wild.

Round 2 Povetkin 10/8

Povetkin dropped Mora again in this round

Round 3 Povetkin

Povetkin more active this round and countered better in
                this round to, showed good headmovement to avoid punches
                when inside letting his hands go

Round 4 Mora

Mora was more active this round and managed to get through
                Povetkin's defence when he laid inside, Povetkin had a decent
                finish but not enough to take the round imo

Round 5 Povetkin came out landed the leaping left early and
                followed up dropping Mora with a combination as the ref
                waved it off when he hit the canvas.

As i noted in Povetkin's last fight against Nolan you can see the subtle changes
                Teddy Atlas has made, whether it be effective against better opponents is still to be
                tested, Povetkin is moving his head more, fighting more patiently, showing good speed and
                putting his punches together nicely, but as i said you have to factor in who he is
                doing it against, lets see if he can be effective that way against a quality opponent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marco Huck vs Richards.

Round 1 Richards (kind)

Richards was more active, dictated the pace and went to the
                body whilst Huck was largely inactive.

Round 2 Huck

Huck came alive this round as he landed a serious of right hands
                as he let them go with wreckless abandon.

Round 3 Richards tried to pressure Huck but caught a serious
                of right hand counters for his trouble, one of the right hands
                earlier in the round seem to catch him on top of the head, that had him down,
                however
                he managed to get up and fight on but he went back into
                the danger zone and got nailed again with a number of right
                hands, he was eventually put down again and the ref stopped the fight, well
                fell on top of him Lol.

Huck never changes, wild wreckless, poor technique, fights in spots and almost
                never fails to respond when he gets caught with a hard punch.
                1976 WBA 135 pound title fight-Roberto Duran vs Leoncio Ortiz.

For 10 rounds, Ortiz moved and gave Duran huge fits. After the 11th, it was all Duran as he continued to corner Ortiz in the ropes and land one hellacious body blow after another. With 25 seconds left in the 15th round, Duran put Ortiz to asleep with a crushing right uppercut. At 135, Duran scored several late round ko's as he only got stronger as the fight progressed. His bodypunching wore you down.

1991-Brian Mitchell vs Tony Lopez 1&2

The first fight was a unification fight at 130. A classic war, but also a very technically superb fight as well. Mitchell's jab and right cross was in Lopez's face all night, but Lopez gave almost as good as he got. I had Mitchell winning the fight, but Lopez got a gift draw in his hometown of Sacramento.

In the rematch, Mitchell, after a fairly even 7th, completely dominated rounds 8-12 with his jab and right cross. Lopez didn't attack the body like he did in the first fight, and there was no doubt as to who won this fight. Mitchell had one of the great jabs in 130 pound history.

Comment

• Kendall Holt vs Ricardo Torres

Comment

• Cotto vs Jennings. Jennings didnt offer much in terms of offence but its an under rated performance (performance not win) of Cotto's, he stayed calm but pressed the fight keeping the pressure on Jennings while minding his defence and not neglecting his best weapons - Stiff left Jab, Booming left hooks and wicked looking body blows.

Nice to see how much it ment to Miguel too, after the fourth where he had Micheal down he jumped up and celebrated with his uncle, hell he even gave him a kiss! It was like he was saying "Im Back!"

Comment

• Quartey/Vargas-I had forgotten how good of a fight this one was

Comment

Working...
                      X