Round 12 Charles

Charles seemed to be renergized this round as he had a bit
    more bounce in his step

Round 13 Charles

Charles was incharge most of the way although Joe tried to steal it by
    coming on late, however Charles was able to fight him off and keep him
    out of the round

Round 14 Charles

Early on Charles potshotted Louis from outside with right hands, he seem to hurt
    Louis mid way through the right, could not tell whether i was Louis eye that was
    hurting or whether a punch landed that shook Louis, Charles did land an uppercut
    and Louis voluntarily seem to want to back up like he was hurt, Charles backed him
    up and put the pressure on

Round 15 Charles

Charles showed remarkable fitness, he seemed to get a second wind in round 12 and
    never stopped moving and punching the whole fight, Louis's aged reflexes meant he
    found it hard to get off first and sustain action,
    Louis aged reflexes also made it hard for him to counter Charles who was quicker
    and able to counter of get off first from outside, Charles was even able to stay inside
    and bang it out with Louis when he had to. Louis jab landed some solid jabs on the
    Charles though imo.
    Jeff Chandler vs Richie Sandoval. April 7, 1984
    The first time I saw this fight, 26 years ago, I was sick to my stomach as one of my all time favorites took a one sided beating. Watched it again last night, and it brought back some bad memories. In the opening round, Sandoval jumped on Chandler, staggering him with a right cross. From that first round on, Chandler took a severe beating. Each round was a replica, as Sandoval landed heavy shot after heavy shot. Chandler looked like a 50 year old man this night, as he was outslugged 3-1. In the 11th, Chandler was decked for the very first and only time in his career. Chandler's pride made him want to finish the fight, but in the 15th, the ref mercifully stopped the fight. Thankfully, it was Chandler's last fight of his career. My favorite bantam of all time, Chandler was an ATG who could have competed in any era.

Comment

• Watched a HL of Rocky Mattioli's 10 round decision win over Eddie Perkins, not much to say because there was not much to see because it was only a minute long. Perkins didn't look very good, he was throwing wide left hooks and clinching with Mattioli while Rocky seemed to have a more consistent offense.

Also watched a couple of rounds from Chucho Castillo's win over Jesus Pimentel. This was a damn good scrap between two world class bantams, both men were boxing and moving well, using their jabs and throwing excellent combinations but the difference was Castillo's better technical skills, defense and punch placement.

Comment

• Originally posted by mhager91490 View Post
        Watched a HL of Rocky Mattioli's 10 round decision win over Eddie Perkins, not much to say because there was not much to see because it was only a minute long. Perkins didn't look very good, he was throwing wide left hooks and clinching with Mattioli while Rocky seemed to have a more consistent offense.

Also watched a couple of rounds from Chucho Castillo's win over Jesus Pimentel. This was a damn good scrap between two world class bantams, both men were boxing and moving well, using their jabs and throwing excellent combinations but the difference was Castillo's better technical skills, defense and punch placement.
        I RECOMMEND watching CASTILLO'S 2 EPIC WARS WITH RUBEN OLIVares. on the levEL of mARQUEZ-Vaqsquez

Comment

• Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
          I RECOMMEND watching CASTILLO'S 2 EPIC WARS WITH RUBEN OLIVares. on the levEL of mARQUEZ-Vaqsquez
          I've seen the second one which was a great, great fight, Olivares was cut early and Castillo fought a great fight against the injured Olivares before stopping him in the 14th.

My favorite Castillo fight was his great fight with Lionel Rose, it was a very close fight with Rose winning a close, disputed decision which started a riot. One of the better technical fights I've seen.

Comment

• Watching Aaron Pryor vs. Alexis Arguello II, right now. Getting ready for Friday Night Fights.

Comment

• Nicolino Locche vs Adolph Pruitt and Joan Henrique. Henrique and especially Pruitt were among the best contenders of the era and presented some problems for the master-boxer Locche. These fights showcased his brilliant defensive skills but also two potential weaknesses that great fighters may have capitalized on.

Against Pruitt, Locche was forced to fight on the inside against a stronger man. Locche, as against Paul Fuji, was able to make Pruitt miss and counter, but Pruitt also landed with several body blows, most of which were blocked by Locche but made an impact. Locche at this point in his career was very conservative over 15 rounds and wasted little energy. He was able to win off the ropes but it was a close one. Pruitt is a forgotten fighter, he had solid ability and an exciting style but he came up short in all his title attempts. The loss to Adique Jr for the vacant title was especially puzzling as Pruitt was expected to win without too many problems. Pruitt easily stopped Adique Jr in a non-title fight just months later, so coming into the Locche fight he was seen as an uncrowned champion.

Against Henrique, who was an unbeaten challenger coming off a win over former champion Perkins and later challenged three more times for the light welterweight title, Locche was forced to be the aggressor at times against the defensive Henrique who seemed clueless on how to get through Locche's defense. This defensive plan worked for Henrique to some extent, as Locche had to abandon his usual style of waiting for his opponent to make their move. Henrique however was not able to capitalize on this rare opportunity as he was unable to land punches on the advancing Locche and was actually forced against the ropes with Locche showing perhaps underrated fighting ability, as against Carlos Hernandez where Locche was able to discourage the hard-punching Hernandez with his own punching, not that Locche was ever a puncher. The bobbing & weaving and tight high held guard of Henrique's made it difficult for Locche to score clean punches at first, but gradually he opened up Henrique's defense and by the end of the fight had Henrique looking wild, sloppy, aggressive and plodding as the rest of Locche's opponents were made to look like.

So in the end Locche overcame his two challenges, but it's possible that a great fighter could have taken advantage of Locche's smaller size at 140 and his mostly defensive style. Locche however is the most frustrating of opponents to fight. He simply figures you out over the distance and by the end of the 15 rounds has you missing with each punch thrown.
              Last edited by TheGreatA; 06-21-2010, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mhager91490 View Post
                I've seen the second one which was a great, great fight, Olivares was cut early and Castillo fought a great fight against the injured Olivares before stopping him in the 14th.

My favorite Castillo fight was his great fight with Lionel Rose, it was a very close fight with Rose winning a close, disputed decision which started a riot. One of the better technical fights I've seen.
                Watched Bobby Chacon vs Castillo last night. Castillo was no longer the same fighter that gave Olivares hell, but he fought courageously against the younger and stronger Schoolboy. From the 7th round on, it was all Chacon. Finally, after going down twice in the 10th, the fight was mercifully stopped by the ref.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
                  Watched Bobby Chacon vs Castillo last night. Castillo was no longer the same fighter that gave Olivares hell, but he fought courageously against the younger and stronger Schoolboy. From the 7th round on, it was all Chacon. Finally, after going down twice in the 10th, the fight was mercifully stopped by the ref.
                  I will man, I have it somewhere but I figured it would of been a beatdown so I shelved it, thanks for the tip.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
                    Ezzard Charles vs Joe Louis

Round 1 Charles
                    Louis pressuring and stalking Charles, Charles using his
                    legs and catching Louis with left hook right hand, he also
                    landed a early body attack

Round 2 Louis (close)
                    Not an easy round to score, Louis was not that active but
                    landed the best punch of the fight, a clean left hook on
                    Charles.

Round 3 Charles
                    Charles countering and leading when he has to, particularly
                    with the left hook to body & head.

Round 4

Another tough round to score, im gonna go for Louis as he
                    upset

Round 5 Charles
                    Clear round for Charles as he landed a number of clean
                    counters on Louis

Round 6 Louis

Both guys languished inside this round but Louis managed
                    to land his stiff jab this round, he also landed a nice clean left
                    hook when Charles was pulling out.

Round 7 Louis

Charles started well landing good clean shots but mid round
                    he stopped working and Louis started to come on landing to
                    the body and pressing him, Louis finished the better of the two
                    imo

Round 8 Charles

Charles came back well this round by shooting right hands
                    counters at Louis and catching him

Round 9 Charles

Charles landed a hard combo on Louis this round, Louis
                    ralliyed toward the end but most of the round belong to
                    Charles imo

Round 10 Louis

Both men had a decent round, Charles early, Louis late, however
                    Louis pressure was decisive he started landing that punishing
                    jab and short little chopy punches inside, particularly the
                    uppercut.

Round 11 Charles
                    clear Charles round

Round 12 Charles

Charles seemed to be renergized this round as he had a bit
                    more bounce in his step

Round 13 Charles

Charles was incharge most of the way although Joe tried to steal it by
                    coming on late, however Charles was able to fight him off and keep him
                    out of the round

Round 14 Charles

Early on Charles potshotted Louis from outside with right hands, he seem to hurt
                    Louis mid way through the right, could not tell whether i was Louis eye that was
                    hurting or whether a punch landed that shook Louis, Charles did land an uppercut
                    and Louis voluntarily seem to want to back up like he was hurt, Charles backed him
                    up and put the pressure on

Round 15 Charles

Charles showed remarkable fitness, he seemed to get a second wind in round 12 and
                    never stopped moving and punching the whole fight, Louis's aged reflexes meant he
                    found it hard to get off first and sustain action,
                    Louis aged reflexes also made it hard for him to counter Charles who was quicker
                    and able to counter of get off first from outside, Charles was even able to stay inside
                    and bang it out with Louis when he had to. Louis jab landed some solid jabs on the
                    Charles though imo.
                    Dwight Braxton vs Matthew Saad Muhammad 2- 8/7/82

A one-sided beating. Braxton was all over Saad from the opening seconds. His right crosses landed all night on Saad's face. Saad took a ferocious beating, and this fight should have been stopped in the third round. Saad took unnecessary punishment, and Dwight did not let up for one moment. Saad had one of the greatest hearts in the history of the sport, but in both fights against Braxton, he had no answer for the Camden Buzzsaw.

Michael Spinks vs Dwight Braxton- 3/18/83

Braxton had legally changer his name to Dwight Muhammad Qawi, but the HBO announcers called him Braxton the entire fight. The first round was tremendous, as Qawi and Spinks hit each other with some right hand bombs that would have knocked put any other 175 pound fighter during that era. After slugging it out with Qawi in the first, Spinks took the next 6 rounds by boxing on the outside and controlling Qawi with his left jab. In the 8th, Qawi dropped Spinks with a combination right to the body and stepping on his foot. From the 8th round on, Qawi fought with an intensity he lacked through rounds 2-7. I gave Qawi 5 of the last 8 rounds, but it was too little, too late as he lost a unanimous decision. I scored it 143-141 for Spinks, as Spinks fought a smart, strategic fight by keeping the majority of the fight in the middle of the ring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
                      Agree, i guess you might say that Leonard was the more robust of the two, btw, did you think Hearns had stamina problem? i saw the fight with Harold Weston and he seemed to tire in that fight, at the time he blamed it on the heat in the arena, also i think the commentators did actually mention how hot it was in the arena (on the telecast), the reason i ask is because he seemed to tire against Ray Leonard, however he did not look tired at all against Shields, admittedly not a fast pace fight but still whats your take on that?

My fav fighters are in my sig for the most part, although i also like Bowe, he is easily my fav HW after Evander, Bowe reminds me of Terry Norris in a way, aggressive as hell, value for money, they both seemed to enjoy beating people up. PS, i also have a lot of respect for Hopkins.

Leonard/Hearns? what a tremendous fight that was though eh? your older than me so i should imagine it has a special place in your heart, i know your a Hearns fan but im sure you can still appreciate what a great fight that was, what was so astonishing about it, and what makes it such a great fight to me, was how many times the balance of power shifted in the fight, it went one way then the other, one guys takes control, then the other guy takes control, thats what makes it such a great fight imo, two guys who kept adjusted to what each other was doing, just great to watch.

I had to reset my computer so lost my card to the Rocky Martinez fight, one of the rounds of the year in that fight though imo.

Vasquez jr vs Bedak

Round 1 Bedak

Bedak landed his jab a few times, landed his right to the
                      body, he also closed out the rounds a little catching Vasquez
                      with a cuffing left hook combo

Round 2 Vasquez jr
                      Vasquez jr landed with the jab and countered with his
                      right hand over Bedak's left jab

Round 3 Bedak (either way/kind)
                      Tough round to score, gonna go for Bedak as he landed
                      the harder/cleaner shots, albeit he was a bit inactive

Round 4 Vasquez jr

Vasquez jr more active, Vasquez jr used the jab throughout
                      and that set up his right hands, Bedak a little too inactive

Round 5 Vasquez jr

Good round but a big round for Vasquez jr, Vasquez jr landed
                      a big right hand that seemed to hurt Bedak, he then poured
                      it one and went toe to toe with Bedak trying to take him out
                      Bedak did well to weather the storm and take the shots

Round 6Vasquez jr

Vasquez jr outboxing Bedak by using the jab and
                      maintaining distance, Bedak standing round looking
                      for one single counter that is not coming because
                      Vasquez jr is keeping it at long range and not stepping
                      into mid range where Bedak can counter him

Round 7 Vasquez jr

Bedak has seemed to tire a lot in the last 2 rounds or so,
                      Vasquez jr landing his right hand again early in the round

Round 8 Vasquez jr
                      Vasquez jr landed his hard right hands on Bedak this round
                      he looked as though he was about to stop Bedak but
                      Bedak hung in there, Bedak looks very tired

Round 9 Vasquez jr
                      Not much in the round early but both tried to take it down
                      the stretch, whilst Bedak landed solidly on Vasquez jr, Vasquez jr
                      also landing solid shots on him to and closed a little better imo

Round 10 Bedak was throwing a shot at the same time as
                      Vasquez jr and walked into a big right hand that hurt him,
                      Vasquez jr stepped in and landed another big right hand
                      that dropped him, Bedak looked hurt so his corner waved
                      it off, although he seemed to want to continue, he would of
                      been stopped anyway, had he been allowed to go on

Vasquez jr maintained distance throughout the fight over the shorter Bedak
                      who stood around looking to pick up single counters, however he could only get
                      off sporadically as Vasquez jr did not give up his height very often, he refuse to
                      lay in mid range where Bedak could get off, he maintained distance and made full use of his
                      reach advantage, the upside to that for Vasquez was he was able to dictate & shut
                      down the offense of Bedak, whom became very inactive due to this, he also
                      tired as he when he did get the chance to throw a counter he would load up
                      and put everything into it, by the mid rounds he looked very tired.

Good stoppage, good/solid performance by Vasquez jr
                      Marlon Starling vs Mark Breland I 8/22/87

An ugly fight. For the first 10 rounds, Starling tried to bully Breland, shoving him several times which caused him to lose a point. Starling's roughouse tactics were beginning to work, as after 8 rounds, Breland was exhausted, despite dominating the fight. After 10 rounds, Breland was way ahead on all three scorecards, but was completely exhausted. In the 11th, Starling, after hurting Breland with a whistling right, put Breland to sleep with a cracking left hook. Six months later, Starling was robbed in the rematch, as the rematch was scored a draw.

Comment

Working...
                      X