Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marquez-Pacquiao I. One of the greatest fights I have ever seen. Most dominating 1:30 in boxing history followed up by Marquez's perfect counterpunching exhibit. Every time I watch that fight, I remember why JMM is my favorite fighter. Power, speed, heart, skill...he's got it all.

Comment

• Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
      Cheers.. I agree with you, i think it'll be Ward too.. He's got a bit of Hopkins about him.. Abraham's a very strong SM, and as you say, does labour a little in the skills dept.. It wouldn't surprise me, if he moves up in weight as soon as the tounament finishes..
      I also have to agree with the judges, although not a clean shot, AA deliberately sploshed him while he was on his backside.. Even if they'd been lenient and taken it to a TD, Abraham would'a still lost by a landslide, but saying this, I also think that AA was about to do a Taylor on him.. In many ways, it's a great result for boxing fans, as it's intensified the competition.. If Green gets lucky against Ward and Kessler rejuvenates against Froch, it'll put them all on an even keel.. I doubt it'll happen, but I'd absolutely relish a Green vs Froch final... A real 'muck n bullets' tear up!..

Very good odds you had there too.. The bookie obviously isn't that hot on his boxing lol.
      yes very good odds 9/1 with Bet365 bookmakers online.. yet there was other bookmakers offering 14/1 the same bet.... i had 8/1 Pacquiao vs DeLahoya, 2/1 Pacquiao vs Hatton and have 7/1 Ruiz vs Haye

Comment

Cheers.. I agree with you, i think it'll be Ward too.. He's got a bit of Hopkins about him.. Abraham's a very strong SM, and as you say, does labour a little in the skills dept.. It wouldn't surprise me, if he moves up in weight as soon as the tounament finishes..
        I also have to agree with the judges, although not a clean shot, AA deliberately sploshed him while he was on his backside.. Even if they'd been lenient and taken it to a TD, Abraham would'a still lost by a landslide, but saying this, I also think that AA was about to do a Taylor on him.. In many ways, it's a great result for boxing fans, as it's intensified the competition.. If Green gets lucky against Ward and Kessler rejuvenates against Froch, it'll put them all on an even keel.. I doubt it'll happen, but I'd absolutely relish a Green vs Froch final... A real 'muck n bullets' tear up!..

Very good odds you had there too.. The bookie obviously isn't that hot on his boxing lol.
        Green's not getting lucky against Ward. Green is taylor made for Ward. I believe Ward is winning this tourney because he is the smartest and craftiest fighter among the 6. I think it will be a Green-Froch final.

Comment

• Koki Kameda vs Pongsaklek Wonjongkam

1. Wongjongkam, 10-9
          Wonjongkam takes the first round, by landing the cleaner, and effective punches. He patiently stalked Kameda, and picked his punches well. He landed the left over the top and trying to set up the straight left to the body. Kameda seems awfully tentative. He’s waiting on Wonjongkam,, but Wonjongkam isn’t opening himself up like Naito did.

2. Kameda, 10-9
          This was a better round for Koki, though it was still a bit close. He let his hands go a bit more, and clipped Wonjongkam a few times coming in. He did well to take it, IMO as he was a bit stunned by a right hook from Wonjongkam early on.

3. Kameda, 10-9
          I thought Kameda’s counter lefts and right hooks over the second half nicked it for him. However, Wonjongkam came on a bit at the end, leading to some nice exchanges.

4. Wonjongkam, 10-9
          A close round. Wonjongkam was consistent in his body attack, usng mainly a straight left to the body. Kameda landed the odd nice counter.

5. Even, 9-9
          Kameda is cut by an accidental butt, and the cut is worsened by another in the round. Wonjongkam has a point deducted, as this was the third or so time he clashed heads with Kameda. Wonjongkam senses that perhaps the young champion may come unravelled and ups the paces. Wonjongkam takes it via his activity and pressure.

6. Wonjongkam, 10-9
          A close round. Wonjongkam takes the round on his activity. Wonjongkam is landing his straight left, specifically to the body. Kameda needs to take it away. Kameda is landing nice counters with is left hand, just not enough of them.

7. Kameda, 10-9
          Kameda’s best round of the fight. Landed clean left hands throughout. Landed the occasional uppercut and right hook as well.

8. Wonjongkam, 10-9
          Wonjongkam comes out and starts working the body again. Working the jab followed by a straight left to the body. Wonjongkam also slipped a lot of Kameda’s left hands this round.

9. Wonjongkam, 10-9
          Close round. Wonjongkam pressed Kameda early and landed the cleaner punches. He reopened Kameda’s cut. Wonjongkam has adjusted, he’s slipping or blocking a lot of Kameda’s left hands. Kameda did come back a bit late on, but it wasn’t enough.

10. Wonjongkam, 10-9
          Good round for Wonjongkam. He worked the jab really well to control the distance, and managed to slip Kameda’s punches well too. The last minuted or so produced some nice exchanges, and I felt Wonjongkam got the better of them.

11. Wonjongkam, 10-9
          Another good round for Wonjongkam. He landed clean, effective punches to both the body and head. Wonjongkam was good defensively as well. Kameda knows he’s behind and is trying to step in and pressure Wonjongkam more often. However, Wonjongkam is smartly stepping off and turning Kameda when he’s coming in, Kameda is hitting nothing but air.

12. Kameda, 10-9
          Both guys went for it and traded punches all throughout the round. I felt as thought Kameda won it with his activity throughout the round and landing clean punches. Wonjongkam went into a bit of a lull during the middle of the round.

7-4-1, 115-112 Pongsaklek Wonjongkam

Comment

• Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
            Green's not getting lucky against Ward. Green is taylor made for Ward. I believe Ward is winning this tourney because he is the smartest and craftiest fighter among the 6. I think it will be a Green-Froch final.
            I'm picking Ward too.. But in my opinion, he's just beaten a past prime Kessler which i think will be more than evident when Kess fights Froch.. I feel that this tournament has come about far too late in Mikkel's career.. Green lost to Mundine, so there's every chance that he'll lose to Ward too, but i've got a funny feeling he'll have his moments and still be there in the 12th.. Froch Green is wishful thinking from my part, as I'd rather see action than craftiness, but I don't think a Froch Ward final is out of the question.. I personally thought Dirrell was robbed against Froch, but I also know that Carl is a much better fighter than he showed that night..

Comment

I'm picking Ward too.. But in my opinion, he's just beaten a past prime Kessler which i think will be more than evident when Kess fights Froch.. I feel that this tournament has come about far too late in Mikkel's career.. Green lost to Mundine, so there's every chance that he'll lose to Ward too, but i've got a funny feeling he'll have his moments and still be there in the 12th.. Froch Green is wishful thinking from my part, as I'd rather see action than craftiness, but I don't think a Froch Ward final is out of the question.. I personally thought Dirrell was robbed against Froch, but I also know that Carl is a much better fighter than he showed that night..
              Excellent analysis as always, Malone. After Ward wins this tourney, who would you like to see him fight? I would love to see him fight either Pascal, Bute or Dawson.

Comment

The rematch was a much more exciting fight.

you were right the gushiken vs rios rematch was a better fight and a closer fight on my card to.

Comment

• I watched Alexander vs. Urango and Dirrell vs. Abraham last night. There was no Boxing on, so I hit up HBO and Showtime on demand.

Comment

Excellent analysis as always, Malone. After Ward wins this tourney, who would you like to see him fight? I would love to see him fight either Pascal, Bute or Dawson.
                    Cheers!.. By the time he's won the tournament (if we're right of course) i'd imagine Paul Williams (if still successful) will be somewhere in the mix, which would make for an interesting match up..
                    In an ideal world Bute, Dawson and Pascal could have their own little tourney with the winner to face Ward.. I'd have a little bet on Bute for that one, and he's the one i'd like to see fight Ward.. I was a bit disappointed when I found out he wasn't gonna be in it, but it's turning out to be a quality competition.. No ducks, no easy fights, with all the best fighting one another.. Real shame about Taylor.. Past prime unfortuanately, but the version who almost schooled Hopkins in their 1st fight, would've stood a good chance of winning it.. I'd have prefered Bute, but Green's gonna make it very interesting.. He aint gonna win it, but you can bet your bottom dollar he'll upset someone..

Comment

• Koki Kameda vs Wonjongkam

Round 1 Wonjongkam

Thought Wonjongkam did the better countering,
                      particularly with the left hand

Round 2 Kameda

Even though Wonjongkam hurt Kameda early in the round
                      i felt Kameda countered his way back to take the round, most
                      notably with the right hook, Kameda did have his legs dipped
                      by that shot though.

Round 3 Kameda

Tough round to score as it could of gone either way.

Round 4 Wonjongkam

This round was not easy to score either because Kameda
                      scored effectively early but let Wonjongkam take over mid
                      round as he landed the harder cleaner shots of the round on
                      Kameda at the end, although Kameda did come back down
                      the stretch

Round 5 even (because of a point deduction, although i felt Wonjongkam won the round)

Kameda cut in this round so Wonjongkam had a point taken, there
                      was also another clash of heads in the round but i dont know
                      whether the referee took another point or not. It was another
                      close round where i felt Kameda countered well but also got hit himself
                      with some clean shots so i gave it to Wonjongkam, but because of the point taken
                      it was an even round.

Round 6 Wonjongkam

Man! these rounds are tough to score, i felt Wongjongkam
                      was having his most effective round of the fight but Kameda
                      came back down the stretch to tighten things up, this easily could
                      of gone the way of Kameda

Round 7 Kameda

Good round of Boxing by Kameda, probably the clearest round
                      to score in the fight as Kameda countered effectively the whole
                      round, he was a lot more consistent this round

Round 8 Kameda

Close competitive round where Kameda started well but
                      got nailed with a big shots mid round, that said Kameda came
                      back down stretch to take control and edged the round as he landed
                      more counters over the coarse of the round imo.

Round 9 Wonjongkam

Wong was having a good round but he let his workrate drop
                      off and Kameda came back to take control and closed it out better,
                      that said he did catch some pretty hard punches early on from
                      Wong, im gonna go for Wong on second thoughts as he really did
                      nail Kameda.

Round 10 Wonjongkam
                      Was going to give this to Kameda but he stopped punching
                      toward the end and Wong was consistent all the way although
                      not always landing but he did manage to land a significant shot
                      toward the end

Round 11 Wong
                      Wong more active & landed most of the clean effective shots.

Round 12 Kameda landed the better counters most of this
                      round imo although his workrate dropped off mid round and
                      he allowed Wong to take over but he did come back toward
                      the end imo

Early on the rounds were very hard to score as it was nip and tuck most of the way and
                      Kameda was throwing single shots and not doing enough imo, however midway
                      Kameda got cut and i felt the cut kinda changed his mentality as he become more
                      active, possibly fearing the worst, i thought he held his feet a bit too much when
                      he got a cut but when he started Boxing again he seemed to do better, i have no
                      idea why Kameda does not throw the jab more often it seems to be the one punch
                      that is consistently missing from his Arsenal, he does have a decent jab
                      when he uses it, to Kameda's credit he did use the jab more in the
                      second half of the fight.

I felt Wong nailed Kameda with harder punches throughout this fight and that Kameda
                      let him inside too easily at times because he was not throwing the jab, that said i
                      thought Kameda edged Wong out in the end as he countered Wong more often, albeit
                      maybe not as significantly.

------------------------------

Gamboa vs Barros

Round 1 Gamboa

Not much in the round as Gamboa landed a nice left
                      hook early in the round and closed better with a good
                      combo to the body

Round 2 Gamboa

Nothing in this round (boring) although Gamboa did land
                      a left hook toward the end then a right hand.

Round 3 Gamboa

Gamboa more aggressive at the beginning of the round and
                      landed with a body attack, however worryingly still leaves
                      himself open at times when he gets overexcited

Round 4 Barros (kind)

Not much in this round so i went for Barros as he did land
                      the cleanest head punch of the round, not to mention there
                      has been very little to choose from in most of the rounds so he
                      get the benefit here.

Round 5 Gamboa

Barros did better this round as he caught Gamboa with a left
                      hook but Gamboa landed with some good body work and landed
                      1 or 2 arking right hands

Round 6 Gamboa

Not much happened mid round but Gamboa closed the
                      round out by landing a serious of right hands and going
                      to the body

Round 7 Barros

Barros landed a couple of lefts on Gamboa this round, Gamboa
                      made him miss but did not capitalize much, nor were his
                      shots landing with much effectiveness imo

Round 8 Gamboa 10/8

Best round of the fight as Gamboa came out and landed a right
                      hand and followed that up with a barrage of punches that
                      dropped Barros, he then let his hands go and tried to get
                      Barros outta there, although toward the end he got himself
                      caught and wanted to hold on for the rest of the round, obviously
                      he was hurt.

Round 9 Barros(kind)

Barros was slightly more consistent with his attack and closed
                      a lil better as Gamboa was just looking to slip but not counter

Round 10 Barros
                      Barros most consistent with attack this round, Gamboa did
                      very little this round but did try to steal it down the stretch,
                      i dont think he did enough though, Barros went to the body
                      effectively this round

Round 11 Gamboa

Barros had a good round but i just felt Gamboa landed
                      more clean punches that edged it for him, could of gone
                      either way though

Round 12 Gamboa

Neither man was landing much at the start of the round
                      but Gamboa on strong and started pushing Barros back
                      and nailing him with punches.

I think i might have been kind to Barros in 1/2 rounds but
                      i he did do better down the stretch of the fight as he seemed
                      to warm to the task when he realized that he could catch Gamboa
                      if he let his hands go, Gambo looked okay but by the same
                      token he also looked poor because he showed that those defensive
                      lapses are still there, also that when tagged he goes back to his
                      wild style of letting his hands go with wreckless abandon, he
                      gets wide and square and throws caution to the wind, against
                      a better fighter he will surely get nailed, well he got nailed in this
                      fight and was clearly hurt as he wanted to hang on, what im
                      saying is a better fighter will finish him though. Also Gamboa
                      seemed to drop of toward the end of the fight and give a couple
                      rounds away. Gamboa looked uncomfortable when he tired a
                      little and Barros was pressing him, he would hold Barros on
                      the inside a lot toward the end to stop him working.
                      Last edited by Dynamite Kid; 03-30-2010, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X