Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hagler's loss to Leonard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He did but Geraldo was a natural middleweight and Leonard weighed in fully clothed as a junior middleweight.Geraldo used his obvious size advantage and pushed the fight and never stopped coming forward against Leonard even rocking him on atleast one occasion,but Leonard despite being two weight classes below Geraldo had him hurt quite a few times,definitaly more so than Hagler.

I think it would be quite fair to say that Geraldo wouldn't have gotten very far with Leonard by trying to box him.

Comment

Originally posted by Princemanspopa View Post
      He did but Geraldo was a natural middleweight and Leonard weighed in fully clothed as a junior middleweight.Geraldo used his obvious size advantage and pushed the fight and never stopped coming forward against Leonard even rocking him on atleast one occasion,but Leonard despite being two weight classes below Geraldo had him hurt quite a few times,definitaly more so than Hagler.

I think it would be quite fair to say that Geraldo wouldn't have gotten very far with Leonard by trying to box him.
      Can you imagine that being a prime Marvin Hagler instead of Marcus Geraldo though. You could say the same about Leonard being in there when Hagler fought Geraldo so it goes both ways.

Either way it would have been an interesting fight which unfortunately didn't happen until a little too late.

Comment

Leonard wasn't exactly young and fresh himself. Though I think Hagler won, he put himself in position to lose that fight by giving away so many early rounds. He was the better fighter, but he let Leonard psyche him out.

Comment

Not to be fickle, but I don't consider Hagler to be in his prime when he fought Geraldo. He hadn't even beat Minter yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SnoopySmurf View Post
            I dunno, Leonard lost that fight, IMO.

Hagler lost the first three rounds (dunno why he fought southpaw!) to Ray easily. But as soon as Hagler got in closer and started banging Leonard, Leonard took a page out of Ali's book and would run for most of each round but fight in the last 30 seconds. Judges were won over by this tactic.
            yup hagler won that fight

Comment

Well, since I created the thread, I might as well give my opinion on the topic.

I think Hagler gave the first three rounds away because he wanted to show Leonard that he could beat him at his own game.

Overall, I scored the fight for Leonard. But if Hagler fought southpaw in the first three rounds then my score could have been different.

Comment

Originally posted by blacklodge View Post
                Not to be fickle, but I don't consider Hagler to be in his prime when he fought Geraldo. He hadn't even beat Minter yet.
                Sure that makes sense,if you haven't actually watched Hagler before he fought Alan Minter.Hagler's championship reign began when he beat Minter,but that sure as hell isn't when his prime began.

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                He was the better fighter
                No,he wasn't.

Originally posted by KILLA RIGHT View Post
                yup hagler won that fight
                You've never even seen that fight.

Comment

Hagler was robbed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Bundy View Post
                    Hagler was robbed.
                    And here I thought you got the chair a few years ago

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by Princemanspopa View Post
                      Sure that makes sense,if you haven't actually watched Hagler before he fought Alan Minter.Hagler's championship reign began when he beat Minter,but that sure as hell isn't when his prime began.
                      I don't consider a fighter's prime to be a universal combination of age and/or number of fights. I've seen his fights, thanks for the assumption by the way, and I put his prime, which I define as best performances, starting in about '82. Caveman Lee to Hearns, particularly Hamsho II. I would even go as far as to say that the Hagler of '79-'80 may have lost the Duran fight, as he hadn't quite reached the level of ring intell and experience necessary to make the adjustments he did in that fight and win the late rounds.

Comment

Working...
                      X