No announcement yet.

Jones or Hopkins - Who ranks higher?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrankyCola View Post
    It's a tought choice but I have to go with Bernard because he beat two opponents who knocked out Roy.He also beat trinidad at a more natural weight and scored a knockout roy failed to knock out a washed up tito at a weight he didn't belong in.Bernard "lost to calzaghe" imo he really won but it was close.Roy got beaten badly no disrespect to roy.Hopkins is fighting people younger then him.Roy jones done so much we will be able to know for sure after both fighters retire for good.

Mike Tyson > Ali. Tyson beat two opponents that lumped up Ali...Holmes and Berbick.

Mmmm, that's because Roy was washed up as well.

Comment

roy jones is a known cheater.....who handpicked bums at lhw......made excuses when he lost......and he barely beat 40 year old mike mccallum.......

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
        Let's see: Roy was a LH Champion (as well as a former MW and SMW Champion), P4P #1, beat Hopkins, was the bigger draw...and?
        60-40 is a great deal.

B-Hop bitched out. This is Philly talk.
        So the MW champ moving up two weight classes for 40% is REASONABLE?

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
          Absolutely when considering you are the P4P#1, Champion in 3 weight-classes, the bigger Name...and have a victory over the person that wants another shot at you.

How much would Hopkins have gotten if Roy was still the Champ at MW and Hopkins was the challenger?

Just remember, it didn't stop Hopkins from jumping up two weight classes to fight a drained Tarver in his later years. Now I'm not sure how much B-Hop got from that fight, but I do wonder if it was more than the 40% he could have gotten with a rematch with Jones Jr. when both were still going good.

The fight for legacy didn't mean anything to Hopkins or he would have took the 40%. It certainly would have been more money than the Hakkar fight.

Ok, found something:

After the fight, he was asked if this was truly his final fight, for which he made a minimum of $5 million. He left a slight opening. What if someone offered him $20 million to fight again, he was asked.

"I stayed at middleweight because I was disciplined and because I wanted to make history by making all those defenses," Hopkins said. "I could have gone up a long time ago, but being at middleweight was comfortable for me. I wanted to make history [at middleweight], move up and fight the winner of Roy Jones and Antonio Tarver, and although I had to fight Taylor one extra time, that's what happened."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=2478678

So 5+ million vs. 40% against Roy Jones Jr. which would have been PPV and most likely been in Vegas.
          Last edited by Benny Leonard; 10-13-2009, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post

Mike Tyson > Ali. Tyson beat two opponents that lumped up Ali...Holmes and Berbick.

Mmmm, that's because Roy was washed up as well.
            I know **** like that happens but tarver was in his prime and hopkins came all the way up from 160 to 175.That Glen Johnson he beat was in his prime.Bernard and roy weren't in their prime when they fought.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
              Well....it seems you have made every possible argument for both fighters. Hope you had a great convo with yourself while leaving no one anything to contribute to the thread. Maybe I wanted to make subjective arguments too, but why bother now

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                Well....it seems you have made every possible argument for both fighters. Hope you had a great convo with yourself while leaving no one anything to contribute to the thread. Maybe I wanted to make subjective arguments too, but why bother now
                Because I've been involved in this conversation 6,000 times... Don't blame because I left nothing else to talk about..

Comment

Working...
                X