Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Floyd Mayweather Jr an All Time Great?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
    Skillwise, he's definitely a great fighter. Resume wise, I don't think so yet, I mean I do think his resume at 135 and below is very, very good, he beat a lot of good to very good fighters there but I think in order for him to reach true greatness, he needs to test himself against the best at the weightclass he's fighting at now, welterweight.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Comment

Right now, I think he belongs in the 30-50 range, but if he beats Mosley, Cotto, and Pac, there is potential based on how he does it to be easy top 20.

He's never beaten another ATG though, it's hard to really judge how good Mayweather actually is.

Comment

One of the best to ever lace them up fella

Comment

Common myth about Floyd's resume is saying it used to be good but lately it's not. You take away Corrales and Castillo, 2 former top 10 p4p fighters which he beat in their prime, and his resume since is no worse than it was before. In fact it's better. Beating DLH at 154, Judah, and an undefeated Ricky Hatton trump his other wins to be honest. Also, Floyd hasn't fought a BUM (ie a guy who accomplished nothing noteworthy) since Bruseles in early 2005. And the ONLY reason he fought Bruseles was because Cotto's people were interested in fighting Floyd but wanted to throw Cotto's stable mate in their to test the waters first. Cotto actually predicted Bruseles would win the fight.

Then of course Floyd did his thing...and the fight never came off. Floyd moved to 147, and somehow then "ducked" Cotto, who to this day has never called him out.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
            Common myth about Floyd's resume is saying it used to be good but lately it's not. You take away Corrales and Castillo, 2 former top 10 p4p fighters which he beat in their prime, and his resume since is no worse than it was before. In fact it's better. Beating DLH at 154, Judah, and an undefeated Ricky Hatton trump his other wins to be honest. Also, Floyd hasn't fought a BUM (ie a guy who accomplished nothing noteworthy) since Bruseles in early 2005. And the ONLY reason he fought Bruseles was because Cotto's people were interested in fighting Floyd but wanted to throw Cotto's stable mate in their to test the waters first. Cotto actually predicted Bruseles would win the fight.

Then of course Floyd did his thing...and the fight never came off. Floyd moved to 147, and somehow then "ducked" Cotto, who to this day has never called him out.
            Take away Corrales & Castillo and Floyd's whole resume drops about three loads.

Comment

He's a great fighter with superb technical skills but I just wish he would pick up the slack and fight better fighters that are actually in his weight class. I think, at this point, he needs to face Mosley, Pacquiao and Cotto.

Other than that, I would say he maybe edges it out as an all-time great.

Comment

Ironic thing is a lot of fighters have their ATG status questioned simply because the opposition in their weight wasn't that strong in their era. Seen Marciano, Bob Foster and Hagler been questioned in that way even though it isn't their fault really they beat who was in front of them.
                Mayweather has the opportunity to meet the fighters to test himself and cement his place but doesn't, its a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                  Ironic thing is a lot of fighters have their ATG status questioned simply because the opposition in their weight wasn't that strong in their era. Seen Marciano, Bob Foster and Hagler been questioned in that way even though it isn't their fault really they beat who was in front of them.
                  Mayweather has the opportunity to meet the fighters to test himself and cement his place but doesn't, its a shame.
                  The man is still prime....I think he has time. Floyd fights for money now, and all the easy big money fights have happened already, save Pacman. People claim now that a Pac fight isn't easy, but after the fight happens, we will hear a different tune guaranteed. Pac will be dismissed as too small and tailor made for Floyd one way or another.

Comment

The man is still prime....I think he has time. Floyd fights for money now, and all the easy big money fights have happened already, save Pacman. People claim now that a Pac fight isn't easy, but after the fight happens, we will hear a different tune guaranteed. Pac will be dismissed as too small and tailor made for Floyd one way or another.
                    If Mayweather beats Pacquiao, after Pacquiao beats Cotto, I would give him full credit for that.

Comment

He certainly needs the Pac fight, I hope that it isn't a weight too far for him and he can give a good account of himself.

Comment

Working...
                      X