No announcement yet.

Who Fought The Most World Champs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post

I also made a mental note on how he did overall against (the cream) of the common opponents... He came out on top against McVea, Jeannette & Jackson but was unable to get past the likes of Willie Meehan, Fred Fulton & in particular, Harry Wills.. I believe he only won 2 of the 18 encounters.. Still an incredible fighter though!
    To be fair to Langford I believe he was in his 30's when he started his looong series with Wills and I think older against Meehan and Fulton. People slow in their 30's and it was probably a big ask for a fighter under 5'7 to beat decent HW's so the fact he was still beating the likes of Wills on occassion when fading does him enormous credit.
    Obama did a good bit on his record to recently if you can find?

Comment

I know about 20 of Muhammad Ali's fights were against World Champions.

Some of them where against the same fighter.

I will have to go through my head and list them.

I think he heads the list of HEAVYWEIGHT champions.

Comment

Archie Moore
        Liston twice
        Patterson twice
        Terrell
        Frazier 3 times
        Norton 3 times
        Spinks twice
        Forman
        Elliss
        Holmes
        Bob Fostor
        Berbick

That is a totall of 19 fights against a World Champion for Muhammad Ali

Does that top the HEAVYWEIGHTS list?

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbuff View Post
          Archie Moore
          Liston twice
          Patterson twice
          Terrell
          Frazier 3 times
          Norton 3 times
          Spinks twice
          Forman
          Elliss
          Holmes
          Bob Fostor
          Berbick

That is a totall of 19 fights against a World Champion for Muhammad Ali

Does that top the HEAVYWEIGHTS list?
          Not quite... Have a look at the resume of Evander Holyfield, submitted earlier by GJC..

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
            To be fair to Langford I believe he was in his 30's when he started his looong series with Wills and I think older against Meehan and Fulton. People slow in their 30's and it was probably a big ask for a fighter under 5'7 to beat decent HW's so the fact he was still beating the likes of Wills on occassion when fading does him enormous credit.
            Obama did a good bit on his record to recently if you can find?
            No kidding, I think the 1st 3 fights with Wills, were 2 wins & a draw in Langfords favour, & Fulton was late in his career..

Comment

Not quite... Have a look at the resume of Evander Holyfield, submitted earlier by GJC..
              Oh yeah,that's right, Holyfield fought in 3 different weight classes.

But what about in just the HEAVYWEIGHT division?

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbuff View Post
                Oh yeah,that's right, Holyfield fought in 3 different weight classes.

But what about in just the HEAVYWEIGHT division?
                How does CW + HW = 3 weight classes..

Holyfield fought 1 world champ at CW (Quawi) & 18 world champs at HW..

Comment

Who's got the answer to this one?

Think it might be Duran?
                  What i wanna know is whos beaten the most world champs ???

Comment

Originally posted by Mrpedigree View Post
                    What i wanna know is whos beaten the most world champs ???
                    I thought it WAS Duran, but De La Hoya who I believe someone has already mentioned tops the list (so far) at 23, Holyfield no2 with 19.. However, I'd say someone like Sam Langford would have a better resume of quality in numbers.

Comment

This question is a no-brainer. Sugar Ray Robinson and probably Henry Armstrong head the list. If World Champ is taken in proper context. They head everybody. Ali heads the Heavyweights. Armstrong held 3 titles simultaneously...at a time when there were 8 world champs walking around the planet. And the entire world knew who these 8 men were. 3 out of 8 titles for pete`s sake. That is nearly 50% of all boxing. By 1 guy. With over 100 Knock-outs. And nearly had 4 but held to a draw against Garcia. So he didn`t lose that one. Very impressive. Robinson fought and beat everybody B4 he got old. Age beat him and the heat, that is it. Also over 100 knock-outs. How does De la Hoya winning a controversial alfabet belt over Felix Storm supposed to impress me. Especially since he can`t even beat a feather-weight guy?

Comment

Working...
                      X