No announcement yet.

Gunnar Barlund

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
    According to Bärlund's own words that is. I have not read any good accounts on the fight yet, most have been dealing with the aftermath (the trial with Bärlund and his manager).

Louis would have likely stopped Bärlund who would have been a sitting target to his punches. Now Bärlund was tough but throughout his career he had a problem with cuts. Louis would have cut him up and TKO'd him with sharp punching. The one thing that may have worked in Bärlund's favour was that he could have crowded Louis as was his style, which Louis admitted was a bit of a weakness of his.

I believe the only man to cleanly KO Bärlund was Tommy Gomez at the very end of Bärlund's long career. GJC's favorite Joe Baksi stopped Bärlund in the last round of their fight which is listed as a KO but from what I've read it was a technical stoppage.
    There's that name again,... Joe Baksi (GJC where are you ??). This is an interesting thread, I was wondering about the Finns, I couldn't have named one Finn boxer which I always thought a bit strange seeing as though they are a lengendary race of tough men. Barlund looks extremely tough in that photo, I couldn't begin to imagine what it's like to be punched in the face in a Finnish winter, it used to hurt pretty bad enough when I was freezing my ass off in temperatures like 12 degrees, and that's above zero not minus .... LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing_12 View Post
      Actually am no ones alt, and if i want to say something i will say it on my only account.

You are the alt, foster. everyone knows u and slimey limey are the same peroson. I belive Great A and GJC have already sussed you out.

Am a young up and coming boxer who just wants to learn, i appriecet Great A uploading all these great fights for me to learn off, and i hope he continues to do it.
      A young up and coming boxer !!.... I wish you all the best son, but keep your wits about you, the game has always had many seedy characters involved in the running of fighters and events. If you are surrounded by good people you will be ok. I hope you become the champ.... cheers .

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing_12 View Post
        Interesting. How do you think Barlund would of fared against other heavyweights of his era Baer, Schelmling, Walker, Abe Simon etc.
        he did face Nova who stopped him on cuts.

"A deep gash under the eye that caused the claret to spurt from the wound, caused the official to stop the bout amidst angry protests from Barlund's chief of staff, Paml Damski."

-Nat Fleischer. The Ring

Besides Baksi, Tami Maurello stopped him in the third round too in 1945.

"Barlund was badly cut up after (two) rounds of slugging and his handlers decided that he was unable to come out for the third round." (From The Ring,1945)

My sources might be faulty here, but his last fight was in 1948.

Abe Simon actually decisioned Burland who gave up almost 60 pounds. I think Scmelling , Max baer beats him too.
        Last edited by Greatest1942; 09-01-2011, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
          he did face Nova who stopped him on cuts.

"A deep gash under the eye that caused the claret to spurt from the wound, caused the official to stop the bout amidst angry protests from Barlund's chief of staff, Paml Damski."

-Nat Fleischer. The Ring

Besides Baksi, Tami Maurello stopped him in the third round too in 1945.

"Barlund was badly cut up after (two) rounds of slugging and his handlers decided that he was unable to come out for the third round." (From The Ring,1945)

My sources might be faulty here, but his last fight was in 1948.

Abe Simon actually decisioned Burland who gave up almost 60 pounds. I think Scmelling , Max baer beats him too.
          More on Nova- Barlund:-

There are some news paper reports
          http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...d+gunnar&hl=en

Nova got up from a Knock down to score a TKO.

Comment

Working...
          X