No announcement yet.

McCallum would of beaten Hearns, Duran and Hagler

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCallum would of beaten Hearns, Duran and Hagler

McCallum would of beaten Hearns, Duran and Hagler imo. The way to beat McCallum is with speed but the only fighter out of those 3 with the kind of speed to trouble McCallum was Hearns but he does not have the chin to last the distance with McCallum, especially when McCallum starts hitting that long body. McCallum could counter punch of the backfoot or apply the pressure and take the fight to you, he had a great chin, good stamina and good power without being spectacularly powerful.

Kalambay managed to beat McCallum using his hand speed and great counter punching skills and slick defence. Don Curry did well against McCallum because he was slightly quicker than McCallum, but for what McCallum lacked in quick reflexes he made up for in his timing and Boxing brain, hence the Knockout of Don Curry where he feinted to the body came back over the top to KO him. Milton McCory gave McCallum trouble early with his fast jab and extra bit of speed but McCallum did what i believe he would do with Hearns slow him down pressure him and take him out.

Duran was just too small to beat McCallum, McCallum was just as good inside, hit harder and took just as good of a punch and he was probably better conditioned.

I dont see how Hagler would beat him either, like i said you need speed of hand to beat McCallum, Hagler was too methodical and arguably slower than McCallum. Dont get me wrong McCallum was not slow but his reflexes were not as quick as his hands.

Hagler is strong physically and he can punch good for a Middleweight but i cant see him taking McCallum out and i think if he stayed outside McCallum would outjab him, if he fought inside McCallum would be too good of a counter puncher inside.

Hearns would give McCallum trouble early with his speed but i believe McCallum would wear Tommy down and his chin would eventually let him down.

Michillo, Harding, Watson all tried to put pressure on McCallum and come unstuck, Graham tried to stand with him and it probably cost him the fight in the end. McCallum did a paint job on Sean Mannione, knocked out Julian Jackson, beat Ayub Kalule up worse than SRL, he also did a better job on Luigi Minchillo than both Duran and Hearns he actually managed to stop him where as Hearns & Duran could not.

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
    McCallum would of beaten Hearns, Duran and Hagler imo. The way to beat McCallum is with speed but the only fighter out of those 3 with the kind of speed to trouble McCallum was Hearns but he does not have the chin to last the distance with McCallum, especially when McCallum starts hitting that long body. McCallum could counter punch of the backfoot or apply the pressure and take the fight to you, he had a great chin, good stamina and good power without being spectacularly powerful.

Kalambay managed to beat McCallum using his hand speed and great counter punching skills and slick defence. Don Curry did well against McCallum because he was slightly quicker than McCallum, but for what McCallum lacked in quick reflexes he made up for in his timing and Boxing brain, hence the Knockout of Don Curry where he feinted to the body came back over the top to KO him. Milton McCory gave McCallum trouble early with his fast jab and extra bit of speed but McCallum did what i believe he would do with Hearns slow him down pressure him and take him out.

Duran was just too small to beat McCallum, McCallum was just as good inside, hit harder and took just as good of a punch and he was probably better conditioned.

I dont see how Hagler would beat him either, like i said you need speed of hand to beat McCallum, Hagler was too methodical and arguably slower than McCallum. Dont get me wrong McCallum was not slow but his reflexes were not as quick as his hands.

Hagler is strong physically and he can punch good for a Middleweight but i cant see him taking McCallum out and i think if he stayed outside McCallum would outjab him, if he fought inside McCallum would be too good of a counter puncher inside.

Hearns would give McCallum trouble early with his speed but i believe McCallum would wear Tommy down and his chin would eventually let him down.

Michillo, Harding, Watson all tried to put pressure on McCallum and come unstuck, Graham tried to stand with him and it probably cost him the fight in the end. McCallum did a paint job on Sean Mannione, knocked out Julian Jackson, beat Ayub Kalule up worse than SRL, he also did a better job on Luigi Minchillo than both Duran and Hearns he actually managed to stop him where as Hearns & Duran could not.
    I'd give McCallum a chance against most, think he would have tested Hearns chin and probably his stamina with his body shots and think he would have used his size well against Duran.
    Not so sure that he would out counter Hagler at MW and would favour Hagler personally.
    Re Herol Graham not so sure that standing with McCallum cost him the fight, not seen the fight in years but it was a very close one as I recall. My memory is that Graham got docked a couple of points which would have swung the close decision McCallum's way.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
      I'd give McCallum a chance against most, think he would have tested Hearns chin and probably his stamina with his body shots and think he would have used his size well against Duran.
      Not so sure that he would out counter Hagler at MW and would favour Hagler personally.
      Re Herol Graham not so sure that standing with McCallum cost him the fight, not seen the fight in years but it was a very close one as I recall. My memory is that Graham got docked a couple of points which would have swung the close decision McCallum's way.
      Agree with what your saying and i think Hagler would of been the tougher test.

Graham vs McCallum was a very close fight but i still thought McCallum had done enough even without the point deduction although the official card might not of reflected my point of view. Its been a while since i saw it to but from what i remember Herol did well when used his movement but he started to tire towards the end and held his feet too long and started standing with McCallum too much, although it could also be said that McCallum started applying more and more pressure to.

Comment

Agree with what your saying and i think Hagler would of been the tougher test.

Graham vs McCallum was a very close fight but i still thought McCallum had done enough even without the point deduction although the official card might not of reflected my point of view. Its been a while since i saw it to but from what i remember Herol did well when used his movement but he started to tire towards the end and held his feet too long and started standing with McCallum too much, although it could also be said that McCallum started applying more and more pressure to.
        No wouldn't argue with the verdict I had it for McCallum but it was very close and quite a hard one to score as I recall so I wouldn't have argued if Graham had got it either.
        Can't remember what the point(s?) deduction was for either, will have to watch it again.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
          No wouldn't argue with the verdict I had it for McCallum but it was very close and quite a hard one to score as I recall so I wouldn't have argued if Graham had got it either.
          Can't remember what the point(s?) deduction was for either, will have to watch it again.
          From what i remember it was for a "body slam" but it did not seem as bad as Hamed vs Soto to me. When i was first told before seeing the fight that he body slammed him i was expecting some WWE **** but it did not seem that bad to me

I think Graham's physical strength was severely underrated he was throwing Sumbu Kalambay around in their rematch and got ticked off a couple of times, i think he might have actually lost a point for it to.

Comment

One thing about MccAllum was that his chin and body work was as good as anyone in his era. he beats Duran, no doubt. A fight against hearns would be a war. Hagler would be a very tough fight for both fighters and probably a split decision.

Comment

I think Marvin Hagler was a bit better than Mike McCallum, in most departments. And i think Marvin Hagler would actually box in this fight, using his jab and movement, to win by UD. As for the other two, i agree Mike McCallum would be too big for Roberto Duran.

But thinking about it some more, didn't Iran Barkley who towered over Roberto Duran. Constantly whack Roberto Duran to the body ? who was 37 at that time, and it didn't seem to have much effect on Roberto Duran.

I think this would be closer that i first thought, Roberto Duran is a great boxer and has a sound defense. And he would frustrate Mike McCallum alot, although i think Mike McCallum would be the favorite it would be close.

From what i heard, Mike McCallum in sparring with Thomas Hearns. Could constantly counter to the body against Thomas Hearns, when he used that famous flicker jab. I think Mike McCallum's body shots would of caught up to Thomas Hearns, suspect chin/suspect stamina.

And he would of stopped him late on, i know Milton McCrory wasn't as good as Thomas Hearns. But he reminded me of Thomas Hearns, same type of style and he was pretty much the same height, and he was a Kronk fighter and Mike McCallum beat Milton McCrory in good fashion. By wearing him down late.

Which i think would happen in the Thomas Hearns fight, although i think it would be later in the fight. And Mike McCallum would be behind on points at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Burning Desire View Post
                I think Marvin Hagler was a bit better than Mike McCallum, in most departments. And i think Marvin Hagler would actually box in this fight, using his jab and movement, to win by UD. As for the other two, i agree Mike McCallum would be too big for Roberto Duran.

But thinking about it some more, didn't Iran Barkley who towered over Roberto Duran. Constantly whack Roberto Duran to the body ? who was 37 at that time, and it didn't seem to have much effect on Roberto Duran.

I think this would be closer that i first thought, Roberto Duran is a great boxer and has a sound defense. And he would frustrate Mike McCallum alot, although i think Mike McCallum would be the favorite it would be close.

From what i heard, Mike McCallum in sparring with Thomas Hearns. Could constantly counter to the body against Thomas Hearns, when he used that famous flicker jab. I think Mike McCallum's body shots would of caught up to Thomas Hearns, suspect chin/suspect stamina.

And he would of stopped him late on, i know Milton McCrory wasn't as good as Thomas Hearns. But he reminded me of Thomas Hearns, same type of style and he was pretty much the same height, and he was a Kronk fighter and Mike McCallum beat Milton McCrory in good fashion. By wearing him down late.

Which i think would happen in the Thomas Hearns fight, although i think it would be later in the fight. And Mike McCallum would be behind on points at the time.

Fair assessment but what departments do you think Hagler trumps Mccallum in ? In chin department you could argue Hagler had a better chin but i think that is not really that relevant here because i dont think either would score a KO. My biggest criticism of Hagler as a fighter was his foot speed and his hand speed which were average at best. I dont see him out jabbing McCallum because McCallum had a great jab and a generous reach, plus he did not just flick the jab he used to set up body punches, he feinted with it so it could not be timed, he stuffed it in your face pretty damn hard.

I really dont see what departments he trumps McCallum in. Hagler probably went through the gears better than McCallum who liked to fight at his own pace but here is the thing, i definetly dont see Hagler being able to Box McCallum because of McCallum's jab and skills but i think he could have success pressuring McCallum but then i say to myself Harding did exactly the same thing and turned the fight into a war and he eat counter punch after counter punch, so to did Minchillo whom was stopped by his corner because he took such a beating.

If Hagler could outhussle McCallum he could win but i dont see him dong that because McCallum has dealt with that kind of pressure before, you know how much pressure Harding puts on(Andries)

That was a past prime McCallum to.

Comment

I think a young Hagler had above average hand and footspeed but he slowened down as his career went on.

Comment

Working...
                  X