No announcement yet.

Mike Tyson vs Jersey Joe Walcott

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Tyson vs Jersey Joe Walcott

Who takes this a prime Tyson or Walcott at his best at HW?

Tyson KO. Somewhere between round 1 and round 12. Depends on which inconsistent Walcott shows up.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
      Tyson KO. Somewhere between round 1 and round 12. Depends on which inconsistent Walcott shows up.
      lol. don't you think the crafty walcott could cause tyson fits the way he did to louis the first time and marciano for 12 rounds who were both much better heavyweights than mike and both punched harder.

Comment

Originally posted by St Lion View Post
        lol. don't you think the crafty walcott could cause tyson fits the way he did to louis the first time and marciano for 12 rounds who were both much better heavyweights than mike and both punched harder.
        Marciano was not better than Tyson in my opinion. And he damn sure didn't punch harder...that's a flat out myth. Walcott could give those guys fits for 2 reasons:

1) Louis was a good bit past his prime
        2) Marciano was slow as hell

You're asking what a prime Tyson does.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
          Marciano was not better than Tyson in my opinion. And he damn sure didn't punch harder...that's a flat out myth. Walcott could give those guys fits for 2 reasons:

1) Louis was a good bit past his prime
          2) Marciano was slow as hell

You're asking what a prime Tyson does.
          wow shocked about you thinking tyson being better than the rock! i just feel if jersey joe can give to strong big punchers like louis and marciano fits, why not iron mike, who did struggle with James Tillis.

Comment

Good thread St Lion, although I do side with ***** in thinking that Tyson was better than Marciano. Tyson was bigger, heavier, much faster, much more elusive plus I'd edge power too, his pace in the early rounds of fights was much higher too, although granted Marciano had better distance stamina.

As for Tyson vs Walcott (one of my all time faves!). Sadly this goes to Tyson for me. Walcott was so fast, slick, crafty and could punch, but his chin let him down many times.....he simply couldn't absorb the really big blows and Tyson would surely find his chin eventually. I'd accept that Walcott 'may' be ahead at the time of stoppage though. At his best he was like a smaller, weaker chinned Ali, he danced, slipped punches and had great combinations. Some think he may have been the slickest heavyweight mover ever.

As for Tyson vs Tillis, Tyson was only in his first or second year as a pro (19 or 20) and Tyson still won a clear decision. Tillis didn't rock him but gave an inexperienced Tyson some trouble. Tillis remember was touted for the top, very slick and fast....hence 'Quick'. Just didn't have world class desire.

Comment

didnt tillis beat tyson in the ams a few times?

Comment

Na Henry Tillman in the Olympics, close decisions.

Tyson beat him in one round in the pros though.

Comment

Tillis....Tillman the till looked familiar

Thanks

Comment

Not sure if Walcott had a weak chin, he did fight a good amount of highly regarded punchers. Then again it may have just been his defensive skills.

His early career losses were due to exhaustion/body punches.

Here's Jersey Joe showing his moves against an aging Louis:

I do think that a prime Mike Tyson was quite a bit faster than the old Louis.

Comment

Working...
                    X