Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Ray Leonard Get Fighters At The Right Time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SRL himself admits to getting Duran at the right time.

He said he knew Duran blew up after fights,and when he heard Duran was up to 200lbs after the 1st fight he said he tried to get the rematch as soon as possible!

This is not what I am saying....It's right out of the mouth of Sugar Ray himself.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbuff View Post

He said he knew Duran blew up after fights,and when he heard Duran was up to 200lbs after the 1st fight he said he tried to get the rematch as soon as possible!

This is not what I am saying....It's right out of the mouth of Sugar Ray himself.
      thank you!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbuff View Post

Yeah, but who's fault was it that Duran blew up in the first place?

Duran's, for not taking care of his body and keeping himself in fighting condition like a professional.

He dropped the ball, and Ray capitalized.

I don't see how that makes Ray the bad guy.

Aside from that, the rematch was bound to happen anyway. There's no way Leonard would've gotten away with not trying to avenge that loss.

Duran should've expected that and kept himself in tip top shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Glove View Post
          I think he ducked pryor...

I really don't blame him either. Arguello truly had an iron set of balls fighting that guy again.......after the gimme the bottle, no no the one I mix problem....

Pryor was a badass...if there's one man I can think of when I think of 'monstrous stamina' he's the first guy that comes to mind...like the energizer bunny or something...just insane...
          Pryor turned down half a million for a Leonard fight.

You can argue that SRL low-balled Pryor, as Pryor ended up making a lot more facing Arguello (a less popular guy than SRL). But then again, half a mil was ten times more than Pryor had made a year earlier for winning the title versus Cervantes.

I don't like Pryor's chances at 147.

I have a tough time picking against him though H2H at 140.

Comment

Leonard and his team knew Duran would blow up in weight. Then again, it's hard to criticize him for immediately fighting someone who just beat him. Duran wasn't the most disciplined guy, what if he had gotten lazy and lost to someone else first?

Hagler had slipped, he was slower and easier to hit as shown in fights with Roldan and Mugabi. His reflexes and legs were slower. But Leonard wasn't exactly prime either, he hadn't fought in 3 years, just once in 5 years, and was the smaller man.

I still give SRL credit for those fights (I actually had the Hagler fight even).

You can always look for reasons to nitpick and downgrade a fighter's resume.

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
              Pryor turned down half a million for a Leonard fight.
              You can argue that SRL low-balled Pryor, as Pryor ended up making a lot more facing Arguello (a less popular guy than SRL). But then again, half a mil was ten times more than Pryor had made a year earlier for winning the title versus Cervantes.

I don't like Pryor's chances at 147.

I have a tough time picking against him though H2H at 140.
              where did you heard this?

Comment

Originally posted by St Lion View Post
                where did you heard this?
                In a Sports Illustrated article entitled "The Champion of Confusion" in 1982.

I tend to believe that more than a short clip of a "call out" on Legendary Nights (as if that proves anything anyway).

Comment

In a Sports Illustrated article entitled "The Champion of Confusion" in 1982.

I tend to believe that more than a short clip of a "call out" on Legendary Nights (as if that proves anything anyway).
                  nah i have my douts with him turning down leonard. just cause a article says so!

Comment

Originally posted by St Lion View Post
                    nah i have my douts with him turning down leonard. just cause a article says so!
                    It's much more believable than all the people saying "Leonard ducked Pryor" because of a damn HBO documentary.

Pryor's own personal and legal problems, and not moving up to 147, played a bigger role in him not getting the bigger fights than people's "fear" of him.

Comment

It's much more believable than all the people saying "Leonard ducked Pryor" because of a damn HBO documentary.

Pryor's own personal and legal problems, and not moving up to 147, played a bigger role in him not getting the bigger fights than people's "fear" of him.
                      why is it much more belivable than a hbo doc with experts talking? deep down i think ray didnt want to know with pryor.

Comment

Working...
                      X