No announcement yet.

How Good Was Sam Langford

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Good Was Sam Langford

And What made him so great, and were does he rank in your ATG list?

ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS

One of the best resumes ever, fought and beat world champions all the way from lightweight to heavyweight, fought the most avoided men of his time, carried his punching power against 6'3, 210 lb heavyweights, looks fairly good for a fighter of his era on film.

I rate him very highly.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
      One of the best resumes ever, fought and beat world champions all the way from lightweight to heavyweight, fought the most avoided men of his time, carried his punching power against 6'3, 210 lb heavyweights, looks fairly good for a fighter of his era on film.

I rate him very highly.
      How do you feel about his losses and are most legit? And who in your mind won out of Langford and Ketchel?

Comment

Originally posted by winky44 View Post
        How do you feel about his losses and are most legit? And who in your mind won out of Langford and Ketchel?
        I think calling it a draw/no contest is a fair call. It was only a 6 round fight so it's tough to determine a true winner.

From what I've read though, it seems like Langford may have held back a little in order to get an actual title shot at Ketchel. A rematch may have happened, if not for Ketchel going into a downward spiral and being killed.

Langford later said of Ketchel: "The fool went into his grave thinking he could beat me."

I don't hold Langford many losses against him.

Several of them were against much bigger men, such as Sam McVea and Harry Wills whom he also beat, incredibly since he was a much smaller man himself.

Draws and no-decisions were a part of the game then.

I discount most of the losses he had post-1916 because he was very obviously an aging fighter by then, with all kinds of health problems.

I would say that he was in or around his prime during 1908-1912 when he went 51-1.
        Last edited by TheGreatA; 06-28-2009, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Compare the 5'6½ Sam Langford to the men he was fighting:

Sam Langford

6'2, 210 lb Harry Wills

5'11, 220 lb Sam McVea and 6'1½, 190 lb Jack Johnson

Langford and Joe Jeannette

Comment

Working...
          X