No announcement yet.

10: Greatest European heavyweights by Ring ****zine

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10: Greatest European heavyweights by Ring ****zine

A weekly boxing list compiled by Michael Rosenthal. This week: In honor of the Wladimir Klitschko-Ruslan Chagaev RING heavyweight championship fight on Saturday in Gelsenkirchen, Germany, the 10 greatest European heavyweights ever.

1. Max Schmeling, Germany (56-10-4, 40 KOs): The former champion knocked out a young Joe Louis in 1936.
    2. Lennox Lewis, England (41-2-1, 32 KOs): Arguably the best heavyweight since Larry Holmes.
    3. Tommy Farr, Wales (81-30-13, 24 KOs): Held his own against the best heavyweights in the world in the 1930s.
    4. Joe Bugner, England (69-13-1, 41 KOs): Had a successful career during the 1970s and ‘80s, an era deep in good heavyweights.
    5. Vitali Klitschko, Ukraine (37-2, 36 KOs): The tougher of the brothers has a remarkable KO ratio.
    6. Wladimir Klitschko, Ukriane (52-3, 46 KOs): The more-athletic of the brothers has won 10 in a row.
    7. Ingemar Johannson, Sweden (26-2, 17 KOs): His three-fight series against Floyd Patterson is legendary.
    8. Frank Bruno, England (40-5, 38 KOS): Held one of the major titles until Mike Tyson took it from him.
    9. Henry Cooper, England (40-14-1, 27 KOs): Came close to upsetting a young Muhammad Ali in 1963.
    10. Karl Mildenberger, Germany (53-6-3, 19 KOs): The southpaw competed favorably with the top heavyweights of the 1960s.

Note: Bob Fitzsimmons was born in England but not included here because he left the country as a child and fought his entire career in Australia and the U.S. Joe Bugner was born in Hungary but immigrated to the UK as a child.

Michael Rosenthal can be reached at RingTVeditor@yahoo.com. His opinion here doesn’t necessarily reflect that of RING ****zine or RingTV.com
    http://www.ringtv.com/blog/786/10_gr..._heavyweights/

Bob Fitzsimmons is still British though?

Born here and moved as a young child, just like Lewis?

Comment

I'd definitely move Wlad and Vitali over Farr and Bugner. And I'd move Schmeling below Lewis. I'd probably switch the order between Wlad and Vitali, especially if Wlad beats Chagaev. Other than that, the order is fine. Is there really no better choices for the last 2 guys? They were B level.

Personally I rate the following guy(s) over them:
      (List may be updated as I think of more)

Primo Carnera (Actually would move him ahead of Farr)
      Paulino Uzcudun
      Last edited by Obama; 06-18-2009, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Demise View Post
        Bob Fitzsimmons is still British though?

Born here and moved as a young child, just like Lewis?

Fitzsimmons never came back though. He ended up a British-born, New Zealand-raised American citizen who had his first fights in Australia.

Comment

Tom Sharkey piled up a good record in the late 1800's and he was born in Ireland.

Comment

I gave up reading this mag years ago...
            If you want a real good laugh.... Check out their 100 greatest punchers of all time..
            Most of the posters on this forum are far more knowledgable than their editorial team..

Comment

"
              "
              Thanx this was very useful

Comment

I'd personally have Lewis number 1 and the Klitschko's above Bugner. I don't know enough about Farr to have an opinion on him.

Comment

Lewis should unquestionably be above Schmeling.

Comment

Originally posted by black.ink View Post
                    I'd personally have Lewis number 1 and the Klitschko's above Bugner. I don't know enough about Farr to have an opinion on him.
                    Had wins over Max Baer, Tommy Loughran, Larry Gaines, Red Burman, Walter Neusel, Ben Foord. Lost close decisions to Joe Louis and Jim Braddock which many thought he won.
                    Last edited by TheGreatA; 06-19-2009, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X