Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't we see the Joe Frazier style anymore?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't we see the Joe Frazier style anymore?

Mike Tyson was the last guy I can think of who employed a style similar to Joe Fraziers ; with the constant bobing and weaving, consistent head movement, and undying motivation to break you down.

So how come we don't see that style anymore?

I've discussed it briefly in the past with various users, one of whom is currently an Amateur who employs the style (Corey, or Versatile2K9 on here.).

Most people have told me that it's very hard on your back, and it's likely that the physical demands of the style are too great for most people to commit to it fully.

I can see that being the case. But I was wondering what ye of the History section thought about the style in general, and why it's no longer in use.

Personally, it's one of my favorite styles. Old school pressure fighting is one of my boxing drugs of choice, that and slick defensive fighting.

But overall I think the style was very underrated, I imagine it's physically taxing to fight like that for 6 rounds, let alone 12 or 15. The head movement doesn't get nearly enough credit for slipping punches IMO, and some people have even mocked Frazier's style. As if it takes no skill to execute.

I'm of the firm opinion that Frazier's style was one of, if not the hardest styles to be successful with ; due to it's obvious physical demands, and the way that you're constantly ducking downward, and then having to come back up with counters. I can't imagine it's easy to duck and weave that way, and then come back with a counter that lands.

I imagine your head would be looking downward, and you would be unaware of your opponet's position. Therefore you'd likely have to see where your opponet was, duck his punch(es), and then estimate his whereabouts for your counter to be most effective.

Anyway, share your thoughts.

it doesnt really work in the amateurs, and it takes a lot out of you to pull it off, you need to be really short for your div to pull it off also

Comment

you dont really need it if your tall,
      and you still get hit ALOT with that style.

Comment

it's a really hard style to use

I try it from time to time when I spar guys that are much bigger than me, and when I'm done sparring my legs and back are sore for days

Comment

Originally posted by portuge puncher View Post
          you dont really need it if your tall,
          and you still get hit ALOT with that style.
          True, but I think you're also underrating it's defensive abilities a little bit.

In his prime, yeah, Frazier took some shots with that style. But he was also able to slip and evade as many punches as he took with his head and body movement alone.

Being a face-forward brawler will get you punished much more than Joe's style. Examples : Arturo Gatti, Ricky Hatton, and Michael Katsidis.

it's a really hard style to use

I try it from time to time when I spar guys that are much bigger than me, and when I'm done sparring my legs and back are sore for days
          Interesting to hear some firsthand experience from a fighter who's used it.

I got a few quick questions for you, if you don't mind.

1.) Did you find it difficult to counter your opponet with the constant bending and head movement?

2.) Out of your legs and back, which would you say the style "taxed" more?

3.) Did you find yourself more easily, or less easily hit when using it?

Comment

it's sloppy. That's how the guy wanted to fight and he was successful but i'll be damned if another Joe Frazier kind of guy wins a gold medal anytime soon

Comment

a prime carlos hernandez employed the same style... (correct me if im wrong man...)

its a dying style so to speak...

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                True, but I think you're also underrating it's defensive abilities a little bit.

In his prime, yeah, Frazier took some shots with that style. But he was also able to slip and evade as many punches as he took with his head and body movement alone.

Being a face-forward brawler will get you punished much more than Joe's style. Examples : Arturo Gatti, Ricky Hatton, and Michael Katsidis.

Interesting to hear some firsthand experience from a fighter who's used it.

I got a few quick questions for you, if you don't mind.

1.) Did you find it difficult to counter your opponet with the constant bending and head movement?

2.) Out of your legs and back, which would you say the style "taxed" more?

3.) Did you find yourself more easily, or less easily hit when using it?

1.) I didn't feel as comfortable countering in this style, but I'm still working on it. I think eventually, I might be able to use the momentum and leverage from bobbing and weaving to throw harder and better counters. but right now it's still really difficult for me.

2.) My legs were more sore, it felt like I did 1000 squats when I was done sparring. It's a really tiring style to use though, because of the constant motion; I'm in awe of how Joe Frazier was able to do it.

3.) I felt more elusive because I was always moving and squating low; when I got hit it wasn't as cleanly as when I stand in my traditional stance.

Comment

Comment

Well Tyson and Frazier didn't exactly have the same kind of style all though continual bobbing and weaving are used in both styles. Tyson's style was more like Floyd Patterson's and was less stressful than Frazier's style. Using the bobbing/weaving style as a pure brawler like Frazier takes ridiculously hard work and I don't think we are likely to see any more of that in Boxing. However there is a chance that we may see more Boxers within the Peekabo/Tyson-Patterson mold who use their Bobbing and weaving more intentionally, and who land while closing in instead of just staying in the pocket indefinitely and wailing away..
                    Last edited by res; 05-27-2009, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X