No announcement yet.

Matthew Saad Muhammad Tribute

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthew Saad Muhammad Tribute

I was surprised to see that no one had made a highlight of his exciting career so I decided to make one myself.

Hopefully it is a fitting tribute to one of boxing's great warriors.

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post

I was surprised to see that no one had made a highlight of his exciting career so I decided to make one myself.

Hopefully it is a fitting tribute to one of boxing's great warriors.
    Matthew Saad Muhammad had one of the biggest hearts in the history of boxing. His wars with John Conteh, Marvin Johnson, Yaqui Lopez and Richie Kates are some of the greatest light-heavy fights of all time. He was a warrior to the 10th power, and a member of the Boxing HOF

Comment

Saad Muhammad was possibly the most entertaining fighter ever. Looking back I cannot remember him in a dull fight. All his fights were wars. The script seemed to be that Saad would be tagged early and often due to his less than stellar defense and then coming back due to his remarkable recovery powers and ending the fight with his big punches.

Back then the LHW's was in fantastic shape ever and arguably the most stacked division in boxing history with great fighters fighting great fights endlessly. Maybe my memory has given the period a romantic glow over the years but some of the greatest fights of the era was in that division.

Saad was absolutely my fav. fighter among them as I think he was to most people. His career DVD would be a great buy for anyone looking for some entertainment.

Although this KO is on Manchines vid I feel like showing Saad's brutal punching power. It's fine contender Lottie Mwale on the receiving end of this sick uppercut:

Last edited by BattlingNelson; 05-01-2009, 02:18 PM.

Comment

One of the best fights Saad fought was the second fight with Yaqui Lopez. It was Ring Magazines FOTY in 1980 and round 8 was one of the best rounds ever fought.

At some point in that outstanding round, Saad throws 18 left hooks in a row as Lopez is on the ropes. He gets a bit tired and Lopez comes back with a vicious onslaught catching Saad with multiple haymakers causing him to be nearly out on his feet. Incredibly Saad comes back hurting Lopez! Whoa. What a round!

This vid shows rounds 6-8. Round 8 is not to be missed and starts at 6.23:

Comment

That was one of the best hl i have seen machine, sadd against conteh 1 is my favourite fight on my john conteh career boxset. Would you ever do a jimmy young, ron lyle or carlos monzon tribute?

Comment

I don't think there has ever been a fighter who was able to come back from as many beatings as Matthew Saad Muhammad did in his prime. Unfortunately that type of style takes a lot out of anyone and he had very little left for the two fights against Dwight Qawi.

One thing people might overlook about him is how he always stuck to using the basic 1-2 combination. He was not just a slugger.

Of course he could not have succeeded for as long as he did in such an era of talented light heavyweights without a granite-like jaw and an unbreakable will.
            Last edited by TheGreatA; 05-01-2009, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
              That was one of the best hl i have seen machine, sadd against conteh 1 is my favourite fight on my john conteh career boxset. Would you ever do a jimmy young, ron lyle or carlos monzon tribute?
              I'm probably going to make one of Bobby Chacon next. Now there's a man deserving of a tribute.

I don't have enough fights of Jimmy Young but I might make one of Ron Lyle.

Here's a Carlos Monzon highlight that I found:

http://www.tedspoon.co.uk/Monzonmoviepage.html

Comment

Damn, I really enjoyed that video, Manchine.

Thanks for taking the time out to put together a nice tribute to Matthew Saad Muhammad.

I was working on one of my own, but youtube's audio copyright law got the best of me last night on a different video I made.

So I'm too frustrated to work on any more at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
                  Yes thankyou for making the time and putting in the effort to make the tribute.
                  I was always a big fan of John Conteh and always think he wasted a great talent. My main memory of the Conteh and Saad Muhammad fight was Saad Muhammad's corner pouring in what appeared to be half a ton of tarmac into his cut. I did feel that it wasn't strictly kosher and felt Conteh had been a little cheated. Credit to Saad Muhammad he left no doubt in the return. Do think Conteh with stronger hands and more application could have put himself in the highest bracket though

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                    Saad Muhammad was possibly the most entertaining fighter ever. Looking back I cannot remember him in a dull fight. All his fights were wars. The script seemed to be that Saad would be tagged early and often due to his less than stellar defense and then coming back due to his remarkable recovery powers and ending the fight with his big punches.

Back then the LHW's was in fantastic shape ever and arguably the most stacked division in boxing history with great fighters fighting great fights endlessly. Maybe my memory has given the period a romantic glow over the years but some of the greatest fights of the era was in that division.

Saad was absolutely my fav. fighter among them as I think he was to most people. His career DVD would be a great buy for anyone looking for some entertainment.

Although this KO is on Manchines vid I feel like showing Saad's brutal punching power. It's fine contender Lottie Mwale on the receiving end of this sick uppercut:

I am surprised a movie about his life was never made. Abandoned by his parents and found in the streets of Philadelphia where he could barely speak, Saad come from a very difficult upbringing to be a HOF fighter and one of the greatest pure warriors this game had ever seen.

Comment

Working...
                    X