• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
    Floyd Patterson was unbeatable.
    Saw that and had to read backwards!

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
      Floyd Patterson was unbeatable.
      Yep. Must have been past his prime in the Liston fights. Or else had personal problems.

Comment

I enjoyed watching Tyson, he was a good fighter and certainly exciting. He unified the division and deserves credit for that. He had a short peak and his out of the ring problems added to that. He certainly bought a lot of people into the sport which is always a good thing. I do remember though a lot of people who had no interest in boxing previously, now telling me that Tyson would beat any HW ever. I just smiled and waited. The one thing when you follow a sport for a long time is that what goes around comes around. I think he wasn't as bad as some say or as good as others say, if that makes sense?
        I would say to Tyson fans though by all means stay a fan, I will always rate Marciano because he was the HW champion I grew up with. Louis was in decline by the time I was interested in boxing.
        So be a fan but not blind to other fighters past, present and future. You will enjoy the sport far more if you open up a bit. Its a great sport with a lot of history and lots of styles to enjoy.

Comment

my sweetest friend....

Comment

Tyson was a good fighter, nothing more, nothing less.

I can't take anybody who places him in the top 10 Heavyweights of All Time seriously.

Top 15? Sure. But top 10? With guys like Ali, Louis, Johnson, Lewis, Holyfield, Frazier, Foreman, Liston, Dempsey, Marciano, Patterson, Langford, Tunney, and others to look at?

No.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
              Tyson was a good fighter, nothing more, nothing less.

I can't take anybody who places him in the top 10 Heavyweights of All Time seriously.

Top 15? Sure. But top 10? With guys like Ali, Louis, Johnson, Lewis, Holyfield, Frazier, Foreman, Liston, Dempsey, Marciano, Patterson, Langford, Tunney, and others to look at?

No.

They just dont bring the rage,hate,rebellion, and energy Tyson did.

Comment

he isnt on my top favorite lists as a fighter, probably cause i get annoyed by so many overrating him

but as far as his story and everything the guy is very interesting and i absolutely loved the last documentary that is out on him now. His impact on the sport cant be denied. Kind of a shame when you thing what he could have been if he had more focus and mental stability.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  No, they don't.

But they also don't bring the rape conviction, messy public life, assault charges, embarassing ear biting incident, facial tattoo, insanely stupid media quotes, etc....

They also bring better records of competition.

Comment

Energy if one thing; rage, hate, and rebellion are hardly traits to be admired.....and dubious assets in the ring in anycase.

Poet
                    Last edited by StarshipTrooper; 04-28-2009, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Rebellion as in not fighting in a war you don't feel is just or having relations with the woman you want to regardless of colour. Or rebellion as in rape and assault?
                      Engergy for 4 rounds, watch Marciano or Frazier in the 12 to 15th rounds of fights.
                      Rage and hate, if you wish to see ferocity Dempsey v Willard and Louis v Schmelling 2 are worth a visit.

Comment

Working...
                      X