No announcement yet.

Manuel Ortiz

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manuel Ortiz

What do you know about Ortiz, etc Facts, Stories etc about him? What a fighter, very underrated and in my mind dosen't get talked about enough. Was one of the best, if not the best bantamweight of all time.

How he got started in boxing was he got picked out of a crowd at age 20, to fight in the main event as a replacement and he'd never boxed before, after this how he went the gym after this.

This is what i'am talking about, no one ever talks about Ortiz and he dosen't get shown enough respect. Only 11 Views and not 1 Reply, but yet threads like Tommy Morrison vs Michael Moorer get lots????

I don't think many people have heard of him or talk about him, so lets start talking about him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'd say Eder Jofre is the best bantam of all time, but Ortiz also has a good argument. He was top dog for a long time with something like 19 title defences against some quality competition. Much like Wilfredo Benitez, it seems he accomplished all this despite somewhat lax training habits and also being an alcoholic, which eventually killed him.

Comment

The one problem with Ortiz is his comp. He was an amazing fighter, truly amazing, but many of his title wins were against guys with about five pro fights. Many great wins but a lot of weird title shots. Nonetheless, great fighter and certainly one of the best. I still have Jofre above him though. He won it back so many times which is truly amazing also. More so than any other BW from memory.
        Last edited by BennyST; 04-05-2009, 01:17 AM.

Comment

manuel ortiz

The problem with this great fighter is that there is so little footage available of him. Most assessments of him can only be made from books and mags + his fantastic record of 23 World title fights with 21 wins and 2 losses.
          The only film of his fights I've saw is about 15 minutes of highlights from his last World title fight with Vic Toweel when he was 34 (old for a bantam) and though well past his best still gave the big punching Toweel a great scrap.
          Sorry to hear about his alcohol problem,in the ring he was a true sportsman.
          Thanks for this thread,love to hear more of this champ fron yesteryear.

Comment

He most certainly has a claim for best Bantamweight of all time.

Ortiz's record speaks for it's self. His two title reigns totalled seven and a half years. He made 15 successful title defences before losing it to Harold Dade. In a spell of 46 fights only the great Willie Pep defeated him.

He ragained the title from Dade and made another 4 title defences. Before losing it to Vic Toweel, in high altitude Johannesburg, when he was almost 34 years of age.

Making his Bantamweight Title defences all in all 19. Ortiz knew every trick in the book and hit rather hard and took a shot. He was introduced to Boxing almost by fluke.

A Boxing show he was attending, one of the scheduled fighters failed to appear and Ortiz took his place, and the rest is history. As a amateur Ortiz won the National AAU Flyweight Championship.

He lacked dedication at times which contributed to some of his inconsistent form especailly during his second reign as champion. He retired at age 42.

In retirement he went into numerous bussines adventures but they failed. He worked a series of odd jobs until he died from a Liver Ailment in 1970.

Manuel Ortiz Resume Of Wins
            -Harold Dade
            -Lou Salica
            -Lauro Salas
            -Carlos Chavez
            -Enrique Bolanos
            -Benny Goldberg
            -Tony Olivera
            -Luis Castillo
            -Larry Bolvin
            -Jackie Jurich
            -Salvador "Dado" Marino
            -Jackie Paterson
            -Theo Medina
            -David Kui Kong Young
            -Jackie McCoy
            -Joey Dolan

Comment

Originally posted by cotto16 View Post
              What do you know about Ortiz, etc Facts, Stories etc about him? What a fighter, very underrated and in my mind dosen't get talked about enough. Was one of the best, if not the best bantamweight of all time.

How he got started in boxing was he got picked out of a crowd at age 20, to fight in the main event as a replacement and he'd never boxed before, after this how he went the gym after this.

thats one of my favourite boxing story's manuel geting picked out the crowd

Comment

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
                I'd say Eder Jofre is the best bantam of all time, but Ortiz also has a good argument. He was top dog for a long time with something like 19 title defences against some quality competition. Much like Wilfredo Benitez, it seems he accomplished all this despite somewhat lax training habits and also being an alcoholic, which eventually killed him.
                Mccoy how do you think jofre vs manuel would of went?

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
                  Mccoy how do you think jofre vs manuel would of went?
                  Jofre takes this!! i find it hard to bet against him at this weight even against the great manuel

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
                    thats one of my favourite boxing story's manuel geting picked out the crowd
                    Ortiz was a throwback the guy had caveman strength

Comment

Working...
                    X