No announcement yet.

Battling Nelson gets knocked out by Owen Moran

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post
    ** Thanks for those little gems from fighters and ref about the account of the bout, however looking at the uniformity of the language, I'd say a single sports writer did the interviews and "transliterated" regional pug speak into a standard form for publication in a major daily.

Another thing, I count 6x Nelson was down. First 3 he's being counted over, so those are official, then he's hit and pulled to his gloves twice, both time having the ref rush to them, but he either ignores both, or just the first and starts the count of one with the second brush of gloves and then pulls back since Nelson uprights himself so quickly which is where the last "KD" resulting in the KO call occurs, however there is a splice between his count over the upright Nelson[CUT]Moran jumps several frames and is rushing to congratulate him as the ring is rushed by corners and the public. The ref separates Nelson and makes a big deal with a single final "signal" count of the arm on the tape. Nelson has been up several seconds during all of this, so the KO account provided by the newpaperman/ref doesn't match the tape, and there are at least two more times Nelson was down and not accounted for.

No biggie as we can see who clearly wins, I'm just point out that these published accounts of fights tend to vary and need major context.
    It was common that the fighters 'wrote' a comment in the papers after a fight.

Morans comment was headlined. "MORAN IS PROUD OF HIS WALLOP", by Owen Moran.

Bat's headline was: "BATTLER SAYS HE WAS NOT OUT", by battling Nelson.

By reading the rbr's done by the papers it reveals some sloppiness that's easy to see when we have the footage. This is the final knockdown described by the Call:

"As he regained his feet Moran dealt him another shower of punches, and for the fifth time the once great lightweight champion measured his length on the canvas floor. Selig counted up to nine with the time keeper, who tolled off the tenth second, and Selig then counted Nelson out. It was all over. The Battler had taken the count for the first time in his great and varied fighting career. Two seconds later Nelson was on his feet and shaking hands with the man who administered the crushing defeat. He was smiling, but his brain seemed to be befogged. He blamed Selig for counting him out..."

The washington Herald writes:
    "With the round two minute gone and both men in the center of the ring Moran
    measured Nelson with his left and crossed with his right. The blow landed squarely
    on the point chin Nelson stunned by the force the blow fell backward
    and his back struck the canvas and his legs went high in the air. Slowly he collapsed and as he doubled together Referee Selig started to count. With eyes glazed Nelson heard the count and pulled himself together.
    As he stood on his feet the effort was too much and he fell back. Once more Selig started to count and again Nelson stood on his feet. Moran rushed his man savagely and
    lefts and rights to body and face put the Dane on the floor the third time. Even that was not enough for Nelson whose will power raised him Into something that was an imitation of defense "Stop it" yelled Moran to Selig "I dont want to kill him".
    "Stop It" shrieked the crowd. "Whats the use of more punishment". But Selig did not stop It The fourth knockdown was more a wrestle than a clean punch and as Nelson was not on his feet when the final count was made Moran was proclaimed the winner."

Comment

This is the only time Nelson was counted out and still the final ten evidently first is told after the fight is stopped. I'm quite impressed that Nelson is standing in the end as that first KD looked really heavy.

Comment

I have 2 chapters about Nelson in my book on Joe Gans.

http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Gans-Biogr...7415835&sr=1-1

Comment

Working...
        X