No announcement yet.

Earnie Shaver's Potential

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    Yeah, so much for the "giants" of today's Heavyweight division. 500 pounds of lard in the ring Saturday night.

Poet
    Dont be fooled by looks arreloa, would of beat shavers, once you take earnie past the 5th round he is there for the takeing. Very stupid comment you made about 500 pounds of lard, but thats all you do most of the time on this forum is make comments like that.

Comment

Originally posted by cotto16 View Post
      Dont be fooled by looks arreloa, would of beat shavers, once you take earnie past the 5th round he is there for the takeing. Very stupid comment you made about 500 pounds of lard, but thats all you do most of the time on this forum is make comments like that.
      Nothing indicates that the fight would go past 5 rounds.

Comment

Arreola is easy to hit and not particularly skillful. His chin is a question mark IMO. Not really the kind of boxer that I would pick to beat Shavers.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
          Nothing indicates that the fight would go past 5 rounds.
          Go and look at shavers record even in his prime a fighter loseing more than he had won handled him. Arrolea is bigger, takes a better shot and has better stamina, and alot more skills.

Comment

Go and look at shavers record even in his prime a fighter loseing more than he had won handled him. Arrolea is bigger, takes a better shot and has better stamina, and alot more skills.
            It's funny that Shavers walked around at 220 lbs since he was 18-20 years old while Arreola fought at 178 at that age yet Arreola now fights at 40-50 lbs heavier than Shavers did in his prime. Arreola should weigh no more than 230 lbs in my opinion, his weight is going to cost him at some point.

I don't know if he takes a better punch. Shavers' chin is underrated, the presumption that Shavers had a "glass jaw" is based on the fight against Jerry Quarry. People forget that he had not even taken a solid punch at that point of his career and had no idea of what to do after Quarry caught him flush. He froze up and Quarry stopped him by landing around 60 unanswered punches.

Shavers showed heart later on in his career against Roy Williams, Jeff Sims, Muhammad Ali, Larry Holmes.

I also don't know about Arreola having better stamina. His last couple of fights haven't gone longer than 3 or 4 rounds and he is way overweight. In the past he has shown the ability to go rounds but that was 30 lbs ago. When Earnie trained hard and paced himself he went 15 rounds against Ali and had success in the later rounds.

Arreola is well-schooled with an extensive amateur background but he seems to prefer brawling than boxing even though he might have the ability. He throws great combinations but has shown little defense in his past couple of fights.

Shavers did develop a strong jab and a solid defense during the latter part of his career. Both Ali and Holmes remarked how hard it was to hit him solidly with a jab and he would take every advantage to counter with his powerful right.
            Last edited by TheGreatA; 04-18-2009, 11:28 AM.

Comment

I have that book (Facing Ali) laying about somewhere. Great read, hearing the views of many of Ali's opponents giving their story of events, and sharing a ring with the most famous athlete of all time.

Joe Frazier's chapter was a good insight to why Joe still has envious views on Ali.

Comment

It's funny that Shavers walked around at 220 lbs since he was 18-20 years old while Arreola fought at 178 at that age yet Arreola now fights at 40-50 lbs heavier than Shavers did in his prime. Arreola should weigh no more than 230 lbs in my opinion, his weight is going to cost him at some point.

I don't know if he takes a better punch. Shavers' chin is underrated, the presumption that Shavers had a "glass jaw" is based on the fight against Jerry Quarry. People forget that he had not even taken a solid punch at that point of his career and had no idea of what to do after Quarry caught him flush. He froze up and Quarry stopped him by landing around 60 unanswered punches.

Shavers showed heart later on in his career against Roy Williams, Jeff Sims, Muhammad Ali, Larry Holmes.

I also don't know about Arreola having better stamina. His last couple of fights haven't gone longer than 3 or 4 rounds and he is way overweight. In the past he has shown the ability to go rounds but that was 30 lbs ago. When Earnie trained hard and paced himself he went 15 rounds against Ali and had success in the later rounds.

Arreola is well-schooled with an extensive amateur background but he seems to prefer brawling than boxing even though he might have the ability. He throws great combinations but has shown little defense in his past couple of fights.

Shavers did develop a strong jab and a solid defense during the latter part of his career. Both Ali and Holmes remarked how hard it was to hit him solidly with a jab and he would take every advantage to counter with his powerful right.
                Machine as i have said before you would argue that the sky isnt blue, and you would write half a page then explaining why your right and everyone is wrong

Comment

Machine as i have said before you would argue that the sky isnt blue, and you would write half a page then explaining why your right and everyone is wrong

Is it that ridiculous to suggest that Earnie Shavers could beat Chris Arreola?

Comment

Is it that ridiculous to suggest that Earnie Shavers could beat Chris Arreola?
                    No it isn't. cotto16 is just a tool.

Poet

Comment

Must suck to be wrong all time Cotto, worse: Have it proved in video for all to see. Maybe when you get tired of having your ignorance exposed by your betters you'll slink back over to NSB with the other fan-bois.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                      X