Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it be possible to name a p4p fighter for each decade going back 100 years?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
    So, if you were to list the 1000 best fighters in the history of boxing, Pazienza gets on it but Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis do not?
    On general principle they would not make the list as they're Heavyweights.....I'm pretty sure I could find 1,000 fighters better than Pazienza. And I happen to like Vinny btw.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
      On general principle they would not make the list as they're Heavyweights.....I'm pretty sure I could find 1,000 fighters better than Pazienza. And I happen to like Vinny btw.

Poet
      Paz was just an example....and that also means you can name 1000 fighters who were better than Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali.

You are holding their size and the laws of nature/gravity against them. It's awfully hard for folks of their size to have the speed of guys much smaller than them.

Comment

Paz was just an example....and that also means you can name 1000 fighters who were better than Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali.

You are holding their size and the laws of nature/gravity against them. It's awfully hard for folks of their size to have the speed of guys much smaller than them.
        What do you think p4p is? You make everyone the same size and now who are the best fighters. Heavies automatically lose their size and strength advantages under those circumstances. The whole point of p4p, really the only thing it's good for, is to give props to guys in lower weight classes that get overlooked while everybody is morbidly obsessing over the Heavyweights.

Poet

Comment

So, if you were to list the 1000 best fighters in the history of boxing, Pazienza gets on it but Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis do not?
          No not if it was up to me. But I do believe that there are greater fighters in the other weights the majority of the time. But nobody in their right mind would not have Ali or Louis in the top 30 at least. Louis is top 10 in my opinion, guy was a genius, Ali was a genius too, with a better chin and bigger man, but I think I have Louis ahead. I think when a special HW comes along, boxing becomes a winner again............================================= ================================================== Special HW's capture the general public's imagination, and reach heights of fame that lower weight fighters can never attain, no matter how brilliant. It is the real fan that digs the lower divisions, speed, more willingness to mix it is what gets the real fan's juices flowing.

Comment

What do you think p4p is? You make everyone the same size and now who are the best fighters. Heavies automatically lose their size and strength advantages under those circumstances. The whole point of p4p, really the only thing it's good for, is to give props to guys in lower weight classes that get overlooked while everybody is morbidly obsessing over the Heavyweights.

Poet

Flip it around- make Manny Pacquiao or Ray Leonard 6'2", 220lbs, and they lose their speed....don't they?

IMO, lb4lb was created so the smaller guys could be INCLUDED in the discussion of who the best fighters in the world are, sincethe conscensus is they lose in actual fights to the big men.

Comment

I prefer watching the non-heavies fight, because I like to see the faster speeds and better stamina. But, I see that nature has held back a big man's abilities to acheive those things, while nature has also held back the smaller man's ability to actually defeat that big man in a real fight.

Yes, the heavyweights get more attention and money than superior-fighting smaller fighters just because of the "bigger is better" mentality. But, that's a public perception problem.....which won't lead me to slighting the heavies.

Comment

Flip it around- make Manny Pacquiao or Ray Leonard 6'2", 220lbs, and they lose their speed....don't they?

IMO, lb4lb was created so the smaller guys could be INCLUDED in the discussion of who the best fighters in the world are, sincethe conscensus is they lose in actual fights to the big men.
                The entire concept of p4p was invented in the 30s or 40s to counter the obsession with the Heavies. I use it for what it was designed for, no more no less. I'm not going to be particularly sympathetic to Heavies screaming "no fair" since they get all the attention as it is.

Poet

Comment

The entire concept of p4p was invented in the 30s or 40s to counter the obsession with the Heavies. I use it for what it was designed for, no more no less. I'm not going to be particularly sympathetic to Heavies screaming "no fair" since they get all the attention as it is.

Poet
                  I don't think it was designed to exclude heavies.

Comment

I don't think it was designed to exclude heavies.
                    I think so. I take it literally.

To me it means... Would a pound of willie pep beat a pound of Jack Dempsey? Let's talk about it!

On top of that, I mean... we do include CW in p4p lists right? well people that are 200 in the era of weigh in the day before were definitely above 175 in the era of same day weigh in.
                    Last edited by wmute; 09-22-2011, 02:35 PM. Reason: edit: in case it was not clear, I include HW

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
                      I think so. I take it literally.

To me it means... Would a pound of willie pep beat a pound of Jack Dempsey? Let's talk about it!

On top of that, I mean... we do include CW in p4p lists right? well people that are 200 in the era of weigh in the day before were definitely above 175 in the era of same day weigh in.
                      Includes any boxer period..... CW's are just as legitimate,... it all depends on class and record.

Comment

Working...
                      X