Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it be possible to name a p4p fighter for each decade going back 100 years?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wmute View Post
    This is a hell of a outhg question because many guys have been on top for a decade but not a 00-09 decade. This forces me to leave whitaker out, as leonard did more in the 80s, and jones in the 90s. Anyways let's try

00s - Floyd Mayweather Jr.
    90s - Roy Jones Jr.
    80s - Ray Leonard
    70s - Roberto Duran
    60s - Muhammad Ali (I know know, but IMO he showed the most amazing boxing of the decade, if only for a few years)
    50s - Archie Moore (not too convinced, but it seems the logical pick)
    40s - Ray Robinson
    30s - Henry Armstrong

Up to here I am good, but I am not confident on the rest of my list

20s - Benny Leonard
    10s - Sam Langford
    00s - Joe Gans
    I know you and Poet have selected the same person, but I will go with Greb in the 20's...

Leonard was great in his class, the best...But I often ask the question did the guy fight guys outside his weight class, and if yes, how did he do...If he didn't I dont hold that against him but if yes its definitely a big plus.

Greb beat many heavyweights and light heavyweights during that time and gave some amazing performnces...He was actually very dominant in his won weight...Seldom have we seen a middle weight champ who was a light heavy champ during the same decade and also an active HW contender during the same period, and who even today many think the HW champ of the time ducked...

I will have him in the 20's as the best P4P....

By the by good effort , both you and Poet.
    Last edited by Greatest1942; 09-22-2011, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
      I know you and Poet have selected the same person, but I will go with Greb in the 20's...

Leonard was great in his class, the best...But I often ask the question did the guy fight guys outside his weight class, and if yes, how did he do...If he didn't I dont hold that against him but if yes its definitely a big plus.

Greb beat many heavyweights and light heavyweights during that time and gave some amazing performnces...He was actually very dominant in his won weight...Seldom have we seen a middle weight champ who was a light heavy champ during the same decade and also an active HW contender during the same period, and who even today many think the HW champ of the time ducked...

I will have him in the 20's as the best P4P....

By the by good effort , both you and Poet.
      Two things.

1) Let me repeat I am not confident at all with my 1900-10-20 picks.

2) I totally forgot about Greb. Shame on me. His existence entirely slipped my mind. I need to think about it, but guts reaction makes me think you are right. Will be back later

What do you think about Ali in the 60s? I am debating with myself.

Comment

1) Let me repeat I am not confident at all with my 1900-10-20 picks

Actually its not like a correction...I just said what I felt...

2) I totally forgot about Greb. Shame on me. His existence entirely slipped my mind. I need to think about it, but guts reaction makes me think you are right. Will be back later

All of us are never on the mark every time, what matters is you are on the mark most of the time...

What do you think about Ali in the 60s? I am debating with myself
        Can I ask a question in return? I understand your reserevations against Jofre...what do you think of Ortiz...the guy held title in two weight classes.
        I do know that Ali's case is strong though...Still what made you consider him over Ortiz

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
          Can I ask a question in return? I understand your reserevations against Jofre...what do you think of Ortiz...the guy held title in two weight classes.
          I do know that Ali's case is strong though...Still what made you consider him over Ortiz
          Well Ortiz, Jofre and Ali were the potential picks IMO. Jofre lost to Harada, and his comeback is stuff of the 70s. Ortiz lost to Loi, (and later again to Cruz, but that part does not bother me). Nothing shameful in that, as both (or rather all 4, are losses to great fighters), but... Ali had cleaned up HW, dominating everyone, and showing some of the most incredible boxing ever to be seen in a HW ring. As a cherry, he also won a gold medal in that decade. But to go against my pick, all of that lasted only 4 years, so I can perfectly relate to picking Jofre or Ortiz.

Comment

Emile Griffith has an argument for the 60s as well I feel, although he wasn't as consistent as the others.

Comment

As a general rule I don't put Heavies on p4p lists so Ali is out for the 1960s. I'd be comfortable with Ortiz over Jofre, although I think Jofre is a better fighter it's close. Of the other alternatives Foster's comp was too weak and I've never been high on Monzon. Griffith is a possibility but he never seemed to me to be that dominant over his peers.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                As a general rule I don't put Heavies on p4p lists

Poet

But, don't you believe a heavyweight can be the best fighter in the world?

Comment

On Benny Leonard..... knowledgeable boxing people considered him the finest p4p fighter they'd ever seen until Robinson came along.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                    But, don't you believe a heavyweight can be the best fighter in the world?
                    No. You can always find a more skilled fighter in the lower weight classes with more speed, faster reflexes ect.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                      No. You can always find a more skilled fighter in the lower weight classes with more speed, faster reflexes ect.

Poet

So, if you were to list the 1000 best fighters in the history of boxing, Pazienza gets on it but Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis do not?

Comment

Working...
                      X