No announcement yet.

The Forgotten Prince

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Forgotten Prince

When Naseem Hamed is brought up, critics immediately seem to push him down, saying he only ever beat nobodies, and only seem to remember his loss against Berrera.

I'll admit he's anywhere near the greatest of all time, but he was pretty damn unique; from his loud mouth, flashy enterances, in ring dancing I think Naz really brought in the entertainment to boxing. From a personality point of view I don't think anyone can match him, he was pretty much a spectacle, and guys like me (who wasn't a boxing fan at the time) would tune in to see the Naz.

As for his career, he did a pretty good job of that too, he was by far the best in his weight division, as for his match against Berrera, it was obvious the Prince wasn't at his prime, and he lacked the enthusiam he had earlier in his career, but he still put on a good fight, and with the talk of Barrera taking steroids, Naz should have won anyway.

Thoughts on Naz? Was he overrated and all hype? Or are the critics too harsh? Discuss.

Originally posted by .:PRINCE:. View Post
    When Naseem Hamed is brought up, critics immediately seem to push him down, saying he only ever beat nobodies, and only seem to remember his loss against Berrera.

I'll admit he's anywhere near the greatest of all time, but he was pretty damn unique; from his loud mouth, flashy enterances, in ring dancing I think Naz really brought in the entertainment to boxing. From a personality point of view I don't think anyone can match him, he was pretty much a spectacle, and guys like me (who wasn't a boxing fan at the time) would tune in to see the Naz.

As for his career, he did a pretty good job of that too, he was by far the best in his weight division, as for his match against Berrera, it was obvious the Prince wasn't at his prime, and he lacked the enthusiam he had earlier in his career, but he still put on a good fight, and with the talk of Barrera taking steroids, Naz should have won anyway.

Thoughts on Naz? Was he overrated and all hype? Or are the critics too harsh? Discuss.
    no naz was one of the greatest talents the world has ever seen. you cant deny that. no one brought to boxing what he did beside muhammed tyson hearns hagler and leonard and roy jones and ray robinson. hes in select company. the **** he used to do was unearthly man. he was one of the greats. and hes vastly underatted. people diss him because of his antics but never took time to look at the skill. he had to be supremely skilled to dismantle people the way he did and show off on top of it. he was greatness in the flesh and needs to be honored.

Comment

Originally posted by .:PRINCE:. View Post

I dont understand what you're talking about. Naz is talked about quite regularly on boxingscene.

No doubt, someone ALWAYS brings up his loss to Barrera but thats generally what happens when you tell everyone you're the best in the world and invincible then end up getting dominated against an elite fighter.

And Naz IN MY OPINION is one of the greatest featherweights of all time. He never showed it against elite competition so there isnt much backing to that arguement. What he did to Steve Robinson was just brutal. He made the guy look like a 12 year old, even though he was a world champion.

No matter who wants to talk crap about Naz, neither Barrera or Morales wanted to fight him. They avoided him for some time and this is documented by a lot of experts and journalists. No one wanted to face a man that hit that hard.

His highlight reel is just phenomenol. He is one of the most naturally gifted fighters boxing has ever seen. I remember as a kid watching him fight I believed he was invincible. He inspired a whole new generation into boxing and his achievements in the ring are also very impressive and overlooked.

WAR NAZ

Comment

Hamed was the ****in man BITD. After he lost to MAB, he was done and MAB's legend kept growin, so he's either forgotten by some or labeled as overrated. Dude should mos def get more credit.

Comment

Naseem Hamed was a very unique and exciting talent, he was a huge attraction across the world.

His unifed his division ''featherweight'' and beat most of the best fighters around his time. He was loved for his entertaining style/ko power, his cockness, even some people just loved his entrances. When you watched a Naz fight you never knew what to expect.

But his prime was short lived, in the end he weren't fully dedicated to his training, he become just obsessed with the KO, forgetting his timing of his shots and his boxing brain.

And in his featherweight era there weren't brillant caliber of oppostion with his best wins coming over Kevin Kelley, Wilfredo Vazquez, Manuel Medina, all good fighters but not knows as greats. When he did fight a true ATG he got virtually whiped washed and exposed and never come back to prove douters wrong like so many all time greats have after suffering first defeats.

Would of also been great to see him fights the like's of Morales, Marquez-who he avoided,Mayweather, and if him and Manny would of been the same era. So he never rubbed with much greatness and when he did he got beat, but hey he did make 15 defecnes of his WBO featherweight title, he unifed the division, was one of the most exciting fighters of his era, and was a pound for pound fighter and beat some good fighters in Kell, Medina, McCullough, Bungu,Johnson. So I wound't begrudge him a Hall of Fame spot.
          Last edited by Southpaw16BF; 04-29-2009, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

He was a breath of fresh air, but when he moved up to face quality fighters he was exposed. He fought a lot of good fighters way past their best. None the less he was fun to watch.

Comment

Hardly forgotten.

I think its a love hate thing with many.

The attitude and showmanship that won him so many fans now makes many people think he was just talk.

Ive heard it said that Hamed was the man who made it possible for the smaller weights to earn much bigger paydays.

He was a prick, but id rather watch him than nearly any other fighter.

Comment

He smelled bad, and his haircut was regrettable.

Comment

Working...
                    X