Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was Ali's most significant victory?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was Ali's most significant victory?

To me, George Foreman

George was a young, power punching beast who had just peaked destroying the 2 men who took ali the distance and beat him. Foreman walked through them, just wiped the canvas with their bodies 2 rounds a piece.

ali was a huge underdog and was not given much chance.

the ironic thing, is that George, being the most unlikely person to be knocked out by Ali, tasted the canvas for the first time, doing Ali's job for him.

ali broke him down, counterpunched, allowed George to unload on the ropes, took everything George had, and got him out of there

also becoming the champ for the second time, i think that speaks for itself

what do you consider ali's most significant victory?

there are many but,,,

significant to what?
    nobody gave him a chance against liston? and look what happened....TWICE! cleveland williams hit him just three times in what was the masterclass of the "hit without being hit" game of boxing. then theres his famous battles with frazier, few people fancied him to win the second fight and with two years of inactivity nobody thought he would become more greater especially with the foreman win.
    IN 1964 ISH... he faced "OUR ENERYS AMMER" at earls court and was out of the fight if it were not for the bell at the end of the forth and delaying tactics employed by angelo dundee(which he has later admited to opening a cut on alis glove) he also admitted that cooper would have finished him in the fifth had it not have been his quick thinking and smelling salts ofcourse but he was still heavily dazed.
    could this have been the fight that changed the course of alis career?
    being british i have some favour to this theory but, its just gotta be the rumble in the jungle. AGREED.

Comment

Ali's wins over Liston made him but it's the win over Foreman that made most people really believe that he was 'The Greatest'. The Thrilla in Manila made him even more of a legend.

Hard to say what would've happened had he lost those fights. I would rank the win over Foreman as his best, the wins over Liston second and the wins over Frazier third.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqSFZAtHO5I
      Ali - Liston

Ali - Foreman

Ali - Frazier III
      Last edited by TheGreatA; 08-21-2008, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
        Ali's wins over Liston made him but it's the win over Foreman that made most people really believe that he was 'The Greatest'. The Thrilla in Manila made him even more of a legend.

Hard to say what would've happened had he lost those fights. I would rank the win over Foreman as his best, the wins over Liston second and the wins over Frazier third.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqSFZAtHO5I
        Ali - Liston

Ali - Foreman

Ali - Frazier III
        the liston wins were pretty solid, but questionable, especially the second one, and little shady business in the first. that's not to say that i dont give ali credit for them, i give him full credit. But in the first fight, the whole blinding situation, then liston quiting, add Liston's age into the mix. You know something was missing....just something.

the foreman fight, however, there was no bull****, no ifs, no buts, what ifs. Just a clean ko victory over a beast in his prime years, someone who was considered invincible. I think Ali had to overcome more, especially because it was not the Ali who boxed circles around liston. he had to trade ability for disability and stay in foreman's zone. Ali trapped in the corner was basically a gift for george.

the third Frazier fight really said a lot about both guys. it was really the kind of fight not a lot of fighters would want to be in, much less go through with what they had to go through. I dont know how they took it. watching it wasnt easy.

Comment

yeah id say foreman

Comment

Foreman because he was such a big underdog, to a point where many thought that Foreman would retire and maybe even seriously injure Ali. Honourable mention goes to Sonny Liston, who most thought would KO Ali in both fights and the 2nd Spinks fight because he won the title for a 3rd time becoming to first fighter to do so.

Comment

Foreman definitely, that's the fight where he both redeemed himself and confirmed himself as a legend.

Comment

It was definitely the Foreman fight.

Comment

The Foreman fight was a huge accomplishment...!! Didn't Ali later say that he blacked out from some of the shots he took?

Comment

Working...
                  X