Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which one of these welterweights had a harder punch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which one of these welterweights had a harder punch?

Pipino Cuevas
    Thomas hearns
    Mark Breland
    Ray Robinson
    felix trinidad

they all had great power, but if you had to pick one, not minding the boxing skill or ability, who would you rank just in terms of over all power, and why?

for me it's a tie between hearns and cuevas

Thomas because he obliterated welterweights in his path, and carried his power into higher weight divisions.

Cuevas because he busted people's eye sockets, smashed jaws, and broke ribs. But he has also tasted Hearns' right hand

what say you?
    Last edited by Boogie Nights; 08-20-2008, 10:18 PM.

Hearns by far. the guy was still considered a big puncher at Light Heavyweight

Comment

Trinidad/Hearns

Comment

hearnes by far

Fullmer wasnt a welter

Comment

Hearns followed by Robinson. I don't think Hearns gets the credit he deserves. He could box and force the fight as well and was excelllent at cutting off the ring against fighters that tried to move on him. This is the most beautiful knockout that i have ever seen Hearns score at welterweight against a world class opponent. Look at that pretty right hand as he holds Cuevas's face with his left. He picks his spots carefully and slowy broke Cuevas down and stopped in two rounds.

Comment

Robinson and Hearns. **** glass chinned Tito, the **** avoided a pasting from Mosley and denied him his greatness in his prime as did Quartey and the other bums before THAT Forrest fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny McLean View Post
              Robinson and Hearns. **** glass chinned Tito, the **** avoided a pasting from Mosley and denied him his greatness in his prime as did Quartey and the other bums before THAT Forrest fight.
              Trinidad has a good chin, he was just one of those fighters that gets knocked down often but was not seriously hurt. Thats called being chinny. Knocking Trinidad down was actually a wake up call. Thats when he really started going and heat up.

You mention the people that you claim he avoided, but don't talk about the fighters that he did fight. Trinidad has never avoided anyone. He went up past his weight class he beat world clas fighters in their divisions like Vargas, Joppy, Reid ect.

Comment

well as expected, Hearns is a popular choice here. He proved his power and greatness, but not even one mention of Cuevas?

like i said before, for me it's a split. But Cuevas was a monster too and is really underated. he shouldnt be left in a cold

Started at a young age, like most mexicans do, still a kid at 14. knocked out every tough guy that was put in front of him. had 11 overall title defenses.

cuevas is not great, but his punch was. i think he should get a nod

i heard stories about him really busting bigger guys in sparring. One reliable source told me that one heavyweight in particular refused to spar with Cuevas, and that guy sparred with Foreman

cuevas's punching power is no hype or joke
                Last edited by Boogie Nights; 08-20-2008, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Hearns. One of the most devastatin WW's ever.

Comment

you make a good point about Cuevas's power...the guy was well known for breaking jaws and slicing up faces. hes often overlooked, and is often seen as 'that guy who got KOed so bad by Hearns', but thats not fair at all. He is at the very least the equivilant of what Margarito is today, at least as good.

but still, even if Cuevas COULD have hit Duran cleanly, I dont think even he could have KOed him like Hearns did...when I think about power, I think about knockout power more than anything, and Hearns had tons of it.

the problem with Cuevas is that its hard to imagine him hitting certain fighters cleanly at all...and so that throws you off when you try to gauge how good his power was compared to others.
                    insane power though. I imagine not many people wanted to fight him.

Comment

Working...
                    X