Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

school me on the light heavyweights.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• school me on the light heavyweights.....

i gotta say i don't know much about light heavyweights,i've seen chegui torres and my interest really came from him being my cousins uncle,but i've always wondered about michael moorer and ezzard charles.anybody have any of there fights,particularly charles vs louis and any fight at light heavy of moorer's?i'm to see how good they where.any knowledge of how good these two where at that weight?

Originally posted by ANTON THE GREAT View Post
    i gotta say i don't know much about light heavyweights,i've seen chegui torres and my interest really came from him being my cousins uncle,but i've always wondered about michael moorer and ezzard charles.anybody have any of there fights,particularly charles vs louis and any fight at light heavy of moorer's?i'm to see how good they where.any knowledge of how good these two where at that weight?
    Michael Moorer was on his way to becoming an excelent LHW fighter. He jetted and went up to Hw. He won all his fights at LHW by Ko , but no one of any significant interest.

Ezzrad Charles from what I remember fought Joe Louis 2x, most say he was ripped off in their 1st encounter. The 2nd , he got KO'd.He was Heavyweight champ by beating Jersey Joe Walcott and later losing it back to Walcott. Charles also fought Marciano, the fight was going to be stopped in favor of Charles cause of a nsty cut on Rocky's nose. In the 8-9rd , Rocky Ko'd Charles.

Hope this helps, this is from my dome.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidValenzuela View Post
      Michael Moorer was on his way to becoming an excelent LHW fighter. He jetted and went up to Hw. He won all his fights at LHW by Ko , but no one of any significant interest.

Ezzrad Charles from what I remember fought Joe Louis 2x, most say he was ripped off in their 1st encounter. The 2nd , he got KO'd.He was Heavyweight champ by beating Jersey Joe Walcott and later losing it back to Walcott. Charles also fought Marciano, the fight was going to be stopped in favor of Charles cause of a nsty cut on Rocky's nose. In the 8-9rd , Rocky Ko'd Charles.

Hope this helps, this is from my dome.
      Charles only fought Louis once and won by UD.

He fought Marciano twice in back to back fights. The first was a points loss and the second by KO.

Comment

Originally posted by BatTheMan View Post
        Charles only fought Louis once and won by UD.

He fought Marciano twice in back to back fights. The first was a points loss and the second by KO.
        You're right about Charles. I mixed up walcott and Charles, It was walcott who got ripped off in his 1st fight with Louis.Charles and Walcott also fought twice.

The rest acccurate , I believe.

Comment

Archie Moore is considered one of the greatest LHWs ever, won and kept the title well in his 40s.

Charles is 3-0 against prime Moore. nuff said.

Michael Moorer had a pretty run at 175, but wihtout significant fights, I dont even know if he could stayed there since he moved up at age 23.

Other greats at the weight include Gene Tunney, Bob Foster and Michael Spinks.

Comment

My personal favourite LHW is Billy Conn. I especially loved his first fight vs Joe Louis at HW. But then again, I don't know many LHW's.

Comment

yes Billy Conn is my favorite also. Blinding handspeed, touchness, a good punch (hurting Joe Louis numerous times, despite being outweighted by 30 lbs)

Comment

Another good lightheavy of recent times is Roy Jones.

Comment

There have been many great light heavyweights throughout the years. Some are already mentioned in this thread, Archie Moore, Ezzard Charles, Billy Conn, Jose Torres.

Gene Tunney, Bob Foster and Michael Spinks should also be considered among the best 175 pounders of all time.

Michael Moorer had devastating power at light heavyweight but he couldn't make the weight any more and decided to move up to heavyweight. It's a shame because he could've been among the greats of the division if he had been able to stay there.

Roy Jones is definitely the best light heavyweight since Spinks, not sure about greatest of all time though.

Comment

Off the top of my head, some incredible fighters have fought in the light heavyweight division, those you know Archie Moore, Ezzard Charles, Bob Foster, Gene Tunney and Michael Moorer and Michael Spinks.

Lesser known but IMO maybe not the best, but certainly up there and aybe the most exciting of all time Matthew Said Muhammed, or formerly known as Matthew Franklin.

I remember watching two light heavies, who were both lets say not particulary skillfull but both full of guts and determination and had 3 brutal fights and they were britains Dennis Andries and Australias Jeff Harding.

Andries was a 3 time champion and here he is losing the title to Thomas Hearns.

Part 1.

Part 2.

Part 3.

Part 4.

Comment

Working...
                    X