Not Only Will Ali Have Beaten Tyson, He Will Have

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tills9191 View Post
    taken him to school.

Tyson is my favourite fighter, but the more I read about boxing, and find out new things, the more I think Tyson wouldn't have stood a chance against Ali.
    ** Oh, brother, another resurrection.

No chance for Tyson, eh?

Ali celebrated turning 20 sitting on his trunks curtesy of a Banks left hook. Followed with wins over Warner, Logan, Lavorante, and 50ish Archie Moore. A decent resume for a young heavy, all end up KOs, but....

Tyson turns 20 with consecutive KOs over Boyd, Frazier, Ribalta, Ratliff, a favorite media highlight KO over Berbick for the title, a shutout over Smith for another title, and defends with a KO over Thomas who lost his title in a close decision to Berbick. First ever to KO Berbick and Thomas.

All but Ali apologists would deny that Tyson has a distinct advantage in competition, maturity, power and skills at age 20.

21? Ali KOs Powell, and wins a highly disputed fight over Jones and Cooper sees him sparked past the 4 rd rest period. Meanwhile, Tyson shuts out undefeated champ Tucker over the last half of what started as a close fight to win a wide decision, and then KOs Biggs, Holmes, Tubbs, and Spinks in more consecutive title fights, the first to knockdown all but Holmes and first to KO any of these fighters.

And you say Tyson has no chance, eh?

I would say Manmachine has a balanced approach to this fight. He's not trying to match a 26 yr old Ali against an inferior form of Tyson, but best to best and sees a close fight that he favors Ali.

Fair enough. He also understands that Tyson has an excellent chance and would make a formidable opponent. I disagree with the outcome, but can at least respect the reasonable analysis.

Both fighters well beat in their careers, so apparently SOMEONE figured them out. Guess Rocky the only one to beat them, eh?

Yeah, I like that!
    Last edited by LondonRingRules; 01-24-2008, 10:29 AM.

Comment

It depends on their ages I think but prime for prime, I'd have to go with Ali by late stoppage. The only time Tyson lost professionally was by being stopped or disqualified, and I think he'd be stopped by Ali after becoming frustrated and swollen. The Ali that fought Williams or Folley would stop prime Tyson or at least win a decision. Tyson has a puncher's chance but thats even diminished greatly by Ali's chin and recuperative abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyson Jones View Post
        Well simply reading about boxing is going to get you anywhere, ali did have a granite chin. But so did Tyson to an extent. Prime vs Prime there is an argument for both. Could ali stand up to tysons early attack, Or would ALi simply outbox tyson from the beginning. In their prime, both seemed unbeatable. Both were beatable however and both had the style to defeat the other. You make a good argument, I however will always argue the side for tyson becuase he's one of my fav's. Ali is and will always be the greatest though.
        Mike Tyson had a great chin, but he couldn't fight once he would get caught. He only had one gameplan. Ali would be too smart, I think he would stop Tyson. Plus Ali had the greatest heavyweight chin probably of all time.

Comment

yea pretty much.
          That's why Ali has an excellent chance against Tyson.
          If you could take Tyson's punch,then I'm sure you had a great chance of beating him.
          The thing is, Ali is so unique, in that fighters like himself who are so quick , fast and are very elusive, tend to be glass chinned.
          He had a granite chin.
          It's not a strength those sort of fighters usually have as a quality.

Comment

the highlight reels show tyson knocking the hell out of all these guys but anyone notice how they alway seem to be stood right in front of him to be hit unlike ali who would be moving and throwing the jab out all the time. i say ali by stoppage (considering that tyson was koed by buster and lewis)

Comment

Ive always been interested in this fight, but its harder than most think to decide. I mean to beat Ali you have to be quick, hard hitting and Agressive. To beat tyson you have to be quick, good chin, good jab. They both have the potential to beat each other, and i see this being a frazier - ali type outcome, although i think tyson would win a KO and not a Decision. In the 2nd fight Ali would have tysons number and win a UD or Late stoppage.

Comment

To beat Tyson you have to be on your toes and not trade with him you have to be able to take his punches plus you have to have a good jab ...Ali fits this criteria. Liston faced Prime Ali and Liston had probably the greatest HW jab ever plus great power but Ali stopped him twice i see deciding factors in the match being

Tyson getting discouraged and annoyed and losing control by Ali being too quick plus taking a lot of his shots
                Ali's reach plus being very mobile and stinging him with fast combinations while moving out of the way of Tysons if Ali tried to be too close with Tyson and trade with him then Tyson would win because he is better inside and hits harder but if Ali danched use d the ring kept the jab going, delivered some round stealing flurries coupled with Taunting words and Tyson getting discouraged because of his lack of Heart then Ali wins...comfortably

Comment

I stand by prediction the last time this came up not to long ago. Ali by decison or very late stoppage.

But still this wouldn't be easy for Ali, prime Tyson would be a very strong threat in the early rounds.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=reU89EdHuAA

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8zkqdyRG6-Q&feature=related

Obviously, Ali is no Biggs but he was a good quick and tall dancer/boxer with stinging but not knockout power.
                  Last edited by Thunder Lips; 01-26-2008, 07:54 PM.

Comment

There's no way in hell Ali would have knocked out Tyson. Ali would most likely win a decision. When you compare a prime 1988 Tyson, it would have been very tough for Ali. When you count in all the crap you seen from Tyson after 88, Ali beats him like nothing. Like it or not, there were two different Tysons.

Comment

Ali would own Tyson, look what Evander did to him, Ali beats Tyson into hamburger tko about 10 rds at most,Tyson has proven he has no heart quit making him into something he wasnt Great.

Comment

Working...
                      X