Jack Dempsey KO 7 Jack Johnson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike Tyson77 View Post
    Jack Johnson KO15 Jack Dempsey

Jack Johnson was a freak, I mean that in a good way. You could hit the man smack dead in the jaw and he would just start claping. Truely a P4P all time great.
    Man it would help if you actually read the threads you replied to. This isn't a question of what would happen. It's a question if a fight between them did in fact take place with Dempsey KO'ing Johnson in the 7th round.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
      Man it would help if you actually read the threads you replied to. This isn't a question of what would happen. It's a question if a fight between them did in fact take place with Dempsey KO'ing Johnson in the 7th round.

Dude Im a HUGE Jack Johnson fan. Im also a white Shoutherner, and strong Johnson fan.

No this fight did not happen. Johnson asked Dempsey for a shot at Dempseys title. Johnson was 41 years old and Dempsey declined to give the former champ a shot. Im not saying Johnson deserved the title shot but simpley that dempesy said no.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Tyson77 View Post
        Dude Im a HUGE Jack Johnson fan. Im also a white Shoutherner, and strong Johnson fan.
        Um, ok. What being white and/or southern has anything to do with this I don't know. But ok.

Originally posted by MikeTyson77
        No this fight did not happen. Johnson asked Dempsey for a shot at Dempseys title. Johnson was 41 years old and Dempsey declined to give the former champ a shot. Im not saying Johnson deserved the title shot but simpley that dempesy said no.
        Once again I refer you to the original post in the thread -

Dempsey-Johnson fight was arranged by Dempsey manager Doc Kearns for gamblers in Saskatoon, Canada. Kearn's surviving son claims the fight likely happened, as does Jack Hay, alleged illigitimate Dempsey son who wrote an unpublished play regarding the match called "Hoopla." The only evidence of such a match is this newspaper report, detailing a 7-round thriller where Dempsey recovers from a fifth-round knockdown to score a clean knockout. The article includes a round-by-round account of the match
        If you say it didn't happen then fine. Post some sources of quotes that say otherwise. But this has been a rumored happening, and no one has as of yet disspelled it.

Comment

Um, ok. What being white and/or southern has anything to do with this I don't know. But ok.

Once again I refer you to the original post in the thread -

If you say it didn't happen then fine. Post some sources of quotes that say otherwise. But this has been a rumored happening, and no one has as of yet disspelled it.

I dranked alot of wild turkey, please cut me some slak.

Simpley Jack Johnson is a hero of mine. He's different compared ot many other boxers.

Comment

unfortunately alot of white champs of the time didn't like to fight black guys even though it would have been a nice payday

Comment

Originally posted by hemichromis View Post
              unfortunately alot of white champs of the time didn't like to fight black guys even though it would have been a nice payday
              Well this fight took place (reportedly anyhow) in a mining town, for gambling purposes. It wasn't an officially sanctioned bout and it was long after Jack Johnson's prime when he was in the range of 45-46.

True or not, I just thought it was a cool little story concerning all-time greats.

Comment

Has anyone heard about this? Supposedly it happened in December of 1921.
                I don't believe a word of it, sounds like TOM CRIBB vs MANNY PACQUIAO or somethin', I'm pretty sure that the whole boxing world would have heard of such a FAMOUS FIGHT. The only thing that sounds realistic about this one is the RESULT. JOHNSON never had a challenger during his reign as good as DEMPSEY and jack DEMPSEY was big enough to fight Johnson unlike most of those MIDDLEWEIGHT's and SMALL Light Heavies, Dempsey would have simply murdered KETCHEL instantly instead of the playing about of Johnson, I understand that Big Jack finished with a BANG after getting annoyed, I don't think lightly of Johnson it's just that I rate Dempsey higher.

Comment

Working...
                X