No announcement yet.

A Couple of Jack Johnson questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Super_Lightweight View Post
    Nat Fleischer called Jack Johnson the best heavyweight of all time.
    ** Welcome to ol' Nat's top 10. Enjoy now:
    ================================
    (The Ring, September 1971)

By Nat Fleischer

As I have had it listed in The Ring Record Book for some years, my all-time rating of heavyweights is as follows: 1. Jack Johnson, 2. Jim Jeffries, 3. Bob Fitzsimmons, 4. Jack Dempsey, 5. James J. Corbett, 6. Joe Louis, 7. Sam Langford, 8. Gene Tunney, 9. Max Schmeling, 10. Rocky Marciano.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
      Why did Jack Johnson never defend his title against Sam Langford? From the stories I've heard/read Johnson defeated Langford in an earlier bout. It was said that Johnson defeated Langford rather handily. Yet years later, as champion, Johnson seemingly wanted no part of Langford. Some have said that Johnson claimed he could only make money against white fighters was why he never faced a black challenger, but I've come to believe that maybe Johnson barely escaped the earlier Langford bout with a victory. Hence his reluctance to face him as champion. Does anyone have information about this?

Second - was the Johnson/Ketchel bout really an exhibition? From the footage I've seen it looks like anything but. Look kind of like a hard contested bout. Was Johnson claims that this was an exhibition fight and that Ketchel caught him off guard and knocked him down his way of explaining the reason he was put on his butt by a middleweight? Was he just trying to save face?
      Actually, I read something about this a few months ago and I cannot remember too many details at the moment, but the main point was that Langford doggedly sought a second fight with Johnson, but Johnson would simply have none of it. As an aside, it was Sam Langford that issued that infamous press release that said: "Sam Langford hereby offers to fight any man in the world, except James J. Jeffries." A classic bit of boxing trivia. Cheers to all the great posters on the Boxing History forum.

Comment

Just a point of interest, Jack Dempsey once said that the only man he ever feared was Sam Langford.

Langford has always been rated as one of the best pound for pound boxers ever.

When he fought Johnson, Jack knocked him down twice in 15 rounds with Johnson winning the decision.
        Last edited by hhascup; 10-24-2007, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post
          ** Welcome to ol' Nat's top 10. Enjoy now:
          ================================
          (The Ring, September 1971)

By Nat Fleischer

As I have had it listed in The Ring Record Book for some years, my all-time rating of heavyweights is as follows: 1. Jack Johnson, 2. Jim Jeffries, 3. Bob Fitzsimmons, 4. Jack Dempsey, 5. James J. Corbett, 6. Joe Louis, 7. Sam Langford, 8. Gene Tunney, 9. Max Schmeling, 10. Rocky Marciano.
          Good post. Interestingly enough, it was Jack Johnson who said "Jim Jeffries was the greatest of all time." Another interesting piece of boxing trivia.

Comment

Originally posted by hhascup View Post
            Just a point of interest, Jack Dempsey once said that the only man he ever feared was Sam Langford.

When he fought Johnson, Jack knocked him down twice in 15 rounds with Johnson winning the decision.
            Hey, no doubt: Sam Langford is one of the ATGs. No doubt or debate about that!

Comment

Originally posted by hhascup View Post

Dempsey was always praiseworthy of Sam. Boxrec lists only a single 6th rd KD by Johnson. Anyway, even Burns admitted Johnson ducked Sam.

What do you say about the alleged KO of Johnson by Dempsey circa winter of 1922 in Saskatoon, Canada? Both were officially inactive in this period and Johnson was released from prison the mid year before with a few prison fights under his belt and hungry for action.

Comment

Originally posted by phallus View Post
                dude, u should probably watch ken burns doc on jack johnson, it might answer some of your questions. i don't know much about the langford fight, but i'll bet that fighting white fighters was a much easier way to make $ than fighting langford again.
                - -Never seen the truth expressed so succinctly!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post
                  Dempsey was always praiseworthy of Sam. Boxrec lists only a single 6th rd KD by Johnson. Anyway, even Burns admitted Johnson ducked Sam.

What do you say about the alleged KO of Johnson by Dempsey circa winter of 1922 in Saskatoon, Canada? Both were officially inactive in this period and Johnson was released from prison the mid year before with a few prison fights under his belt and hungry for action.
                  - -Coming up on the 100th year anniversary of that fight!

Comment

Agreed Johnson bust up ketchel's face badly it looked like.

Comment

Originally posted by cfang View Post
                      Agreed Johnson bust up ketchel's face badly it looked like.
                      - -Ketchup ?

Comment

Working...
                      X