Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeh i remember you saying that!.. Thats too high for dempsey. But everyone even experts have their favourites!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
      Yeh i remember you saying that!.. Thats too high for dempsey. But everyone even experts have their favourites!

Actually when I was growing up in the late 1950's and 1960's, most of the Boxing Historians and Experts had Dempsey as #1.

Comment

• I mean his newest list

Comment

I mean his newest list

Here's Bert Sugars all-time lists:

BERT SUGAR'S TOP 10 FIGHTERS

1. Sugar Ray Robinson, welterweight-middleweight, 1940-65
          2. Henry Armstrong, featherweight-lightweight-welterweight, 1931-45
          3. Willie Pep, featherweight, 1940-59
          4. Joe Louis, heavyweight, 1934-51
          5. Harry Greb, middleweight, light heavyweight, 1913-26
          6. Benny Leonard, lightweight, 1911-32
          7. Muhammad Ali, heavyweight, 1960-81
          8. Roberto Duran, lightweight, welterweight, junior middleweight, 1967-2001
          9. Jack Dempsey, heavyweight, 1914-27
          10. Jack Johnson, heavyweight, 1897-1928

Source: "Boxing's Greatest Fighters," 2006

Sugar's top 10 heavyweights

1. Joe Louis
          2. Muhammad Ali
          3. Jack Dempsey
          4. Jack Johnson
          5. Gene Tunney
          6. Rocky Marciano
          7. Ezzard Charles
          8. George Foreman
          9. Joe Frazier
          10. Larry Holmes

Source: "Ringside: The Ten Greatest Heavyweights," ESPN Classic

Here's another one that he made out in 1991:
          Bert Sugar, 1991

1.Jack Dempsey
          2.Joe Louis
          3.Muhammad Ali
          4.Jack Johnson
          5.Gene Tunney
          6.Rocky Marciano
          7.Joe Frazier
          8.Larry Holmes
          9.Sonny Liston
          10.Mike Tyson

Comment

• lol, im saying Jack Dempsey is too hight on his latest list, ive seen them all. His reasons are that great as he used one reason for one fighter and changes that very reason for a different fighter

Comment

lol, im saying Jack Dempsey is too hight on his latest list, ive seen them all. His reasons are that great as he used one reason for one fighter and changes that very reason for a different fighter

Most of todays Boxing Historians and Experts might agree with you on that, BUT again, no 2 Historians will ever agree on everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by hhascup View Post
                Most of todays Boxing Historians and Experts might agree with you on that, BUT again, no 2 Historians will ever agree on everything.
                I could see placing Dempsey #1 in a historical significance sense. He was the first big draw in boxing. He was very exciting to watch and at the time he was absolutely huge. It didn't hurt that he was tenacious as hell and hit like a ton of bricks either.

Comment

• Many Boxers were Massive draws and Exciting to watch. And Built like a ton of bricks. Liston was, Tyson was. Doesnt make him number 1

Comment

Many Boxers were Massive draws and Exciting to watch. And Built like a ton of bricks. Liston was, Tyson was. Doesnt make him number 1
                    He was the first to be an absolutely huge money maker. The point is, he paved the way for all that followed. In his day he was bigger than Babe Ruth.

Comment

• I guess he was Extremly Similar to Mike Tyson. Both were extremley agressive and well conditioned athletes. Both brought Boxing alive in their repected times. Both brought in big money..tyson much much more. But considering his time Dempsey brought in a hell of alot. Tyson was the most recognisable sportsman during his prime..mayb even celeb. - You see this alone cant put him on the list especially seen as others have achieved more

Comment

Working...
                      X