This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hurricane72 View Post
    Just wondering where everyone gets their information on concerning the records of pro fighters is boxing rec the most accurate. Because with the old-timers there are lots of discrepencies every book or site I look at they are very different.
    I use BoxRec but admittedly it's not always accurate. I just haven't found any better.

Poet

Comment

Top 10 Worst Heavyweight Champions of all-time
      1> Franceso Damiani
      2> Corrie Sanders
      3> Chris Byrd
      4> Michael Bent
      5> Nickolay Valuev
      6> Lamon Brewster
      7> Frans Botha
      8> Greg Page
      9> John Tate
      10>Henry Akinwande

But as case could be made for Bruce Seldon, some of the others you mention while certainly not greats they had some ability and I think there was a lot worse.
      There were a few others I toyed with including Primo Carnera,John Ruiz and some others who's names escape me at the moment. Maybe I'll look into it a bit more and see who they fought and beat and revise my list at a later date.
      I always have Primo as my number one worst: His career was nothing but setups and dives. Not running him down as a person: By all accounts he was a nice guy who didn't know the mob was controlling him.

This is the hot thread on Boxing scene right now!

Poet

Comment

• Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
        I always have Primo as my number one worst: His career was nothing but setups and dives. Not running him down as a person: By all accounts he was a nice guy who didn't know the mob was controlling him.

Poet
        Agree with you about he was controlled by the mob and he should really be on that list. I think I'll redo it but I think with this list achievments shouldn't count as much as they do on the greatest list. I think I need to take into account who would beat who which I don't normally do on a greatest list.

Poet - Do you think Carnera would beat Damiani who I see as a smaller weaker version of Carnera.

Comment

Agree with you about he was controlled by the mob and he should really be on that list. I think I'll redo it but I think with this list achievments shouldn't count as much as they do on the greatest list. I think I need to take into account who would beat who which I don't normally do on a greatest list.

Poet - Do you think Carnera would beat Damiani who I see as a smaller weaker version of Carnera.
          I don't see Carnera beating anyone legitimate. Interestingly enough, guys who fought him said that while he was large he couldn't punch.

Poet

Comment

I don't see Carnera beating anyone legitimate. Interestingly enough, guys who fought him said that while he was large he couldn't punch.

Poet
            You must think he was really bad if you don't think he'd beat Damiani.
            Gotta laugh it's a shame he was like you said by all accounts a nice bloke and here we are slating him big time.

Comment

Top 10 Worst Heavyweight Champions of all-time
              1> Franceso Damiani
              2> Corrie Sanders
              3> Chris Byrd
              4> Michael Bent
              5> Nickolay Valuev
              6> Lamon Brewster
              7> Frans Botha
              8> Greg Page
              9> John Tate
              10>Henry Akinwande

But as case could be made for Bruce Seldon, some of the others you mention while certainly not greats they had some ability and I think there was a lot worse.
              There were a few others I toyed with including Primo Carnera,John Ruiz and some others who's names escape me at the moment. Maybe I'll look into it a bit more and see who they fought and beat and revise my list at a later date.
              I don't think any of these guys were actual the champ were they? Of the list I don't see any fighter that captured the lineal championship. They were all belt holders.

I don't think Corrie Sanders was bad. In his day he was rather good fighter IMO. He was just older when he won the belt. Won it in impressive fashion too.

IMO thats one of the huge factors in boxing losing popularity in the public opinion. You have 3-4 clowns running around with an ABC trinket claiming to a champion. It's rather confusing for a casual fan hoping to follow the sport.
              Last edited by Hawkins; 10-25-2007, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Just wondering where everyone gets their information on concerning the records of pro fighters is boxing rec the most accurate. Because with the old-timers there are lots of discrepencies every book or site I look at they are very different.
                I wouldn't say its the most accurate but its the most readily available. If you want the most accurate you have to do the digging thru old magazines and newspapers especially where the old school guys are concerned.

Comment

Poet
                  Agreed. Primo was nothing more than something like a circus freak to the promotes because of his size. They promoted him as a giant. But by all accounts he was an absolutely horrible fighter.

Comment

You must think he was really bad if you don't think he'd beat Damiani.
                    Gotta laugh it's a shame he was like you said by all accounts a nice bloke and here we are slating him big time.
                    The thing about Damiani is he was beating Ray Mercer pretty soundly (won every round if I remember right) before losing to a miracle KO punch. So he did have SOME ability. Carnera went on to be a very good pro wrestler, a fan favorite in fact.

Remember, when I evaluate a fighter it's nothing personal. I'm just giving an evaluation as honestly as I can. I love Floyd Patterson but I'll be the first to point out his glass jaw.

Poet

Comment

• Poet, Hawk - thanks for your info on records. Generally I use boxingrec also but like you said it's not 100% accurate, but then what is concerning some of the old fighters. You could goto 10 different sources and they all be different.

Hawk - I was classing belt holders as champions.

I don't really like discussing them that much though I don't really see them as worthy of spending hours discussing seriously.

I tell you what would be funny is pitting these so called champs against your best 10 and predicting who would last the longest against who. Might have to try that sometime when I'm bored and have nothing to do.

Comment

Working...
                      X