This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Welter_Skelter View Post
    1st off.. with ANYTHING in life... I am not concerned with the past.. SO in that vein.. My list will be relavent to my personal time frame..

I understand that Joe Louis was considered a great Champ.. As was Marciano..However All I have seen is some grainy Black and White Footage which seems to be choppy and too fast... Some Photographs.. and The word of people who most are long since dead... History has a way of romanticsing the past.. And non events can be turned into Mountains over time...

I would go with WHAT I have seen...

SO My list would bascially not cover any boxers before the 1960's

If people can Handle that Then I will gladly make a list...

But I dont feel like hearing Where's Louis??? When I dont really ****ing care where he is.. He is a Ghost from another time long since dead..Things change..

So again if people can handle that I will make a list..
    If thats your perogative then more power to you my good man. Personally I don't think it would be a very good list because you'd only have 3 great fighters on the list at the most. But if it's your preference far be it from me to disuade you.

However, I don't think you should so easily dismiss the older guys. You'd be surprised at what you can learn by watching/studying the old school fighters.

Hawk

Comment

• Just had a look at your list hawk, looks pretty good altought i wouldnt put Ezzard Charles on the list for the same reason as Poet. Your lists are very similar though!. I would also add Tyson to both of your lists lol, its funny but people compile there lists with totally different ideas. When i added statistics with poet it put tyson as 4th and he was happy with the ratings but yet he dont have him in his list, its all the persons perception of greatness aswell as the greatness of the fighter.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
        Just had a look at your list hawk, looks pretty good altought i wouldnt put Ezzard Charles on the list for the same reason as Poet. Your lists are very similar though!. I would also add Tyson to both of your lists lol, its funny but people compile there lists with totally different ideas. When i added statistics with poet it put tyson as 4th and he was happy with the ratings but yet he dont have him in his list, its all the persons perception of greatness aswell as the greatness of the fighter.

As you say it's all personal preference on what you consider when doing an all-time list. As for Ezzard, when rating him at times I think he belongs in the top-ten and at times I do not. However, I do think he is one of the all-time great heavyweight champs who is completely overlooked by most. I just think it's time he gets the recognition he deserves.

I'm a Tyson fan, but I can't put him in my top 10. He always hovers around the 11-13 area for me. But again, it's all subjective to what you take into account when you compile such a list.

Hawk

Comment

• Of course I wont DIS anyone else's list.. It's all subjective..

My List is based on the last 40 or so years

Based on acheivments,titles,Competition and overall talent

in my opinion of course

1-Ali
          2-Lewis
          3-Holyfield
          4-Holmes
          5-Tyson
          6-Foreman
          7-W.Klitschko
          8-Fraizer
          9-Bowe
          10-Norton

Comment

Of course I wont DIS anyone else's list.. It's all subjective..

My List is based on the last 40 or so years

Based on acheivments,titles,Competition and overall talent

in my opinion of course

1-Ali
            2-Lewis
            3-Holyfield
            4-Holmes
            5-Tyson
            6-Foreman
            7-W.Klitschko
            8-Fraizer
            9-Bowe
            10-Norton
            That ain't a bad list at all Welter and anyone one of them could mix it with the best of them. If I only included fighters from the last 40 years mine would be almost identical except Holyfield and Holmes would probably swap places.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
              As you say it's all personal preference on what you consider when doing an all-time list. As for Ezzard, when rating him at times I think he belongs in the top-ten and at times I do not. However, I do think he is one of the all-time great heavyweight champs who is completely overlooked by most. I just think it's time he gets the recognition he deserves.

I'm a Tyson fan, but I can't put him in my top 10. He always hovers around the 11-13 area for me. But again, it's all subjective to what you take into account when you compile such a list.

Hawk
              Truth is, the only reason Ezzard doesn't make the list is because of my personal policy of only rating fighters in one weight class (exception: Ray Robinson who I hold in such regard as the best fighter ever that I give him the singular honor of rating him at both Welter and Middleweight). Because I rate Charles the best ever at Light-Heavyweight I can't rank him on my Heavyweight list.

Poet

Comment

• Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                Truth is, the only reason Ezzard doesn't make the list is because of my personal policy of only rating fighters in one weight class (exception: Ray Robinson who I hold in such regard as the best fighter ever that I give him the singular honor of rating him at both Welter and Middleweight). Because I rate Charles the best ever at Light-Heavyweight I can't rank him on my Heavyweight list.

Poet
                Understandable. I know alot of people who prefer to do their lists the exact same way. I just prefer to look at the different accomplishments within a given weightclass to determine where they may rate against others.

Comment

1st off.. with ANYTHING in life... I am not concerned with the past.. SO in that vein.. My list will be relavent to my personal time frame..

I understand that Joe Louis was considered a great Champ.. As was Marciano..However All I have seen is some grainy Black and White Footage which seems to be choppy and too fast... Some Photographs.. and The word of people who most are long since dead... History has a way of romanticsing the past.. And non events can be turned into Mountains over time...

I would go with WHAT I have seen...

SO My list would bascially not cover any boxers before the 1960's

If people can Handle that Then I will gladly make a list...

But I dont feel like hearing Where's Louis??? When I dont really ****ing care where he is.. He is a Ghost from another time long since dead..Things change..

So again if people can handle that I will make a list..
                  Jack Dempsey was a heavyweight that fought before the "1960s." Most people have heard of him. He's the one that had over 60 first round stoppages. Let me say that one more time: over 60 first round stoppages.
                  Any list that doesn't include Jack Dempsey in it is flawed, IMO. (Respectfully)

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiley Hyena View Post
                    Jack Dempsey was a heavyweight that fought before the "1960s." Most people have heard of him. He's the one that had over 60 first round stoppages. Let me say that one more time: over 60 first round stoppages.
                    Any list that doesn't include Jack Dempsey in it is flawed, IMO. (Respectfully)

Yes, BUT a lot of them were exhibitions, here's the all-time list:

Most first round knockouts in a career:

1. Young Otto (42)
                    2. Tiger Jack Fox (30) Boxrec has 24
                    3. Jack Dempsey (26)
                    4. Sean O'Grady (24) BoxRec has 25
                    5. Buddy Baer (23) BoxRec has 24
                    6. Mike Tyson (22) - 23 if you count McNeeley

Every several years in Jersey City, New Jersey we honor him along with Georges Carpentier for their bout on July 2, 1921, which was the 1st Million Dollar bout in boxing history. I had the pleasure of being the MC and guest speaker the last couple of times.

Comment

• Originally posted by hhascup View Post
                      Yes, BUT a lot of them were exhibitions, here's the all-time list:

Most first round knockouts in a career:

1. Young Otto (42)
                      2. Tiger Jack Fox (30) Boxrec has 24
                      3. Jack Dempsey (26)
                      4. Sean O'Grady (24) BoxRec has 25
                      5. Buddy Baer (23) BoxRec has 24
                      6. Mike Tyson (22) - 23 if you count McNeeley

Every several years in Jersey City, New Jersey we honor him along with Georges Carpentier for their bout on July 2, 1921, which was the 1st Million Dollar bout in boxing history. I had the pleasure of being the MC and guest speaker the last couple of times.
                      Dempsey had over 100 exhibition bouts. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I remember a stat that said Dempsey went over 70 fights before losing. If true, then that is absolutely incredible. Maybe you have some clarifying information.

edit: Dempsey's professional record is 60 wins, 7 losses, 8 draws, 51 knockouts. I'm thinking that the stat I'm referring to must have included non-pro or exhibitions, but I am not sure.
                      Last edited by Wiley Hyena; 10-24-2007, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X