Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the replies. Thought I ought to let you all know how I scored each category and what points they all got.

1>Total years reigned = 5 points for every year
    2>Total number of defenses = 5 points for every defense
    3>Times champion = 10 points for every time they became champion, +2 points for every year since they won their first title, until winning 2nd title. e.g George Foreman won the title twice giving him 20points, he won his 1st title in 1973 and his 2nd in 1994 a gap of 21 years giving him a further 42 points.
    4>Quality of opposition = A=20 points, B=10 points and C=5 points (Of course this is subjective and my opinion)
    5>Impact on the sport = A=20 points, B=10 points and C=5 points (Again this is subjective and my own opinion)

Here is how the fighters scored

1> Muhammed Ali,8 yrs,19 def,3 time champ,A QofOpp,A Impact = 233 points
    2> Joe Louis,12 yrs,25 def,1 time champ,B,A = 225 points
    3> Lennox Lewis,9 yrs,14 def,3 time champ,A,C = 168 points
    4> Larry Holmes,7 yrs,20 def,1 time champ,A,C = 160 points
    5> Evander Holyfield,7 yrs,7 def,4 time champ,A,C = 145 points
    6> Mike Tyson,5 yrs,10 def,2 time champ,A,A = 145 points
    7> George Foreman,2 yrs,3 def,2 time champ,A,A = 127 points
    8> Joe Frazier,5 yrs,9 def,1 time champ,A,B = 110 points
    9> Jack Johnson,7 yrs,6 def,1 time champ,B,A = 105 points
    10>Rocky Marciano,4 yrs,6 def,1 time champ,A,A = 100 points
    11>Jack Dempsey,7 yrs,5 def,1 time champ,B,A = 100 points
    12>Floyd Patterson,6 yrs,6 def,2 time champ,C,C = 97 points
    13>James J. Jeffries,5 yrs,6 def,1 time champ,A,B = 95 points
    14>Tommy Burns,2 yrs,11 def,1 time champ,C,C = 85 points
    15>Ezzard Charles,2 yrs,8 def,1 time champ,C,B = 75 points
    16>Sonny Liston,2 yrs,2 def,1 time champ,B,B = 50 points

Interested in your thoughts please

Comment

• hmm gd list but dnt agree with lewis being so high as a fighter but he did gain alot of accomplishments gd job.

Comment

• interesting, it shows that the top 12 or so are ranked pretty much in the order that most people would think. not too many surprises, Louis and Ali are ahead of the rest as you would expect. Then not a lot to chose between Holmes, Lewis, Holyfield and Tyson.

Did Bowe or anyone else figure into your calculations, i thought Bowe would score more points than Liston even if you dont rate him in the top 16 or did you just work out the one's you've listed??

Comment

• Originally posted by britbulldog View Post
          interesting, it shows that the top 12 or so are ranked pretty much in the order that most people would think. not too many surprises, Louis and Ali are ahead of the rest as you would expect. Then not a lot to chose between Holmes, Lewis, Holyfield and Tyson.

Did Bowe or anyone else figure into your calculations, i thought Bowe would score more points than Liston even if you dont rate him in the top 16 or did you just work out the one's you've listed??
          I just did the 16 I had listed but will make a point of doing the others sometime in the near future. Off the top of my head I would say Bowe would figure somewhere between 12 and 16.

Where would you have the 16 that I listed.

Comment

• without the calculations pretty much same as you. although i wouldnt have foreman higher than Marciano or Dempsey and i'd have tyson down lower too.

Comment

• Mayb Accomplishments should be taken into consideration aswell?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
                Mayb Accomplishments should be taken into consideration aswell?
                I thought I did take them into account. Years reigned,times champion,defenses did I miss anything.

Maybe I could have unifying titles, in which case Ali,Tyson,Holyfield and Lewis would score more.

Comment

• Things like. Foreman becomming the oldest every champion, Lineal Champs, Tyson Becomming the Youngest ever champion. Ali and Tyson winning it after years of inactivity something Dempsey couldnt do, marcianos unbeaten streak. Holyfields titles holds are accounted for which is good. As with Louis' lengthy reign so it would only b fitting if other accomplishments were noted. and as u mentioned being the Undisputed champion, i think Tyson, Lewis and Holyfield should be given more credit as it was much harder to achieve this during their time.
                  And if contestants are neck and neck then ability should come into it not record against each other. As this could not work all the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by hurricane72 View Post
                    Thanks for the replies. Thought I ought to let you all know how I scored each category and what points they all got.

1>Total years reigned = 5 points for every year
                    2>Total number of defenses = 5 points for every defense
                    3>Times champion = 10 points for every time they became champion, +2 points for every year since they won their first title, until winning 2nd title. e.g George Foreman won the title twice giving him 20points, he won his 1st title in 1973 and his 2nd in 1994 a gap of 21 years giving him a further 42 points.
                    4>Quality of opposition = A=20 points, B=10 points and C=5 points (Of course this is subjective and my opinion)
                    5>Impact on the sport = A=20 points, B=10 points and C=5 points (Again this is subjective and my own opinion)

Here is how the fighters scored

1> Muhammed Ali,8 yrs,19 def,3 time champ,A QofOpp,A Impact = 233 points
                    2> Joe Louis,12 yrs,25 def,1 time champ,B,A = 225 points
                    3> Lennox Lewis,9 yrs,14 def,3 time champ,A,C = 168 points
                    4> Larry Holmes,7 yrs,20 def,1 time champ,A,C = 160 points
                    5> Evander Holyfield,7 yrs,7 def,4 time champ,A,C = 145 points
                    6> Mike Tyson,5 yrs,10 def,2 time champ,A,A = 145 points
                    7> George Foreman,2 yrs,3 def,2 time champ,A,A = 127 points
                    8> Joe Frazier,5 yrs,9 def,1 time champ,A,B = 110 points
                    9> Jack Johnson,7 yrs,6 def,1 time champ,B,A = 105 points
                    10>Rocky Marciano,4 yrs,6 def,1 time champ,A,A = 100 points
                    11>Jack Dempsey,7 yrs,5 def,1 time champ,B,A = 100 points
                    12>Floyd Patterson,6 yrs,6 def,2 time champ,C,C = 97 points
                    13>James J. Jeffries,5 yrs,6 def,1 time champ,A,B = 95 points
                    14>Tommy Burns,2 yrs,11 def,1 time champ,C,C = 85 points
                    15>Ezzard Charles,2 yrs,8 def,1 time champ,C,B = 75 points
                    16>Sonny Liston,2 yrs,2 def,1 time champ,B,B = 50 points

Interested in your thoughts please
                    Excellent work in my opinion! This should be it's own thread really. Maybe you COULD have added an option for unified titles but that would leave fighters since the 1970s at an automatic disadvantage when compared to fighters who when there were NO split titles.

Poet

Comment

• Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
                      Things like. Foreman becomming the oldest every champion, Lineal Champs, Tyson Becomming the Youngest ever champion. Ali and Tyson winning it after years of inactivity something Dempsey couldnt do, marcianos unbeaten streak. Holyfields titles holds are accounted for which is good. As with Louis' lengthy reign so it would only b fitting if other accomplishments were noted. and as u mentioned being the Undisputed champion, i think Tyson, Lewis and Holyfield should be given more credit as it was much harder to achieve this during their time.
                      And if contestants are neck and neck then ability should come into it not record against each other. As this could not work all the time.
                      How many points do you suggest for the following accompishments:-
                      Youngest & Oldest Heavyweight Champ = 10 points o.k. (Obviously more than one fighter would have to score in each category, as Floyd Patterson was the youngest until Tyson, and without checking I'm not sure before him, and would John L. Sullivan automatically get both as he was the 1st recognized champion, or would you take from James J. Corbett)
                      Lineal champions = I don't think this is fair, because all the old fighters would have automatically scored because there was only one champ, whereas Bowe should have fought Lewis but threw the belt in the bin denying Lewis the chance.
                      Inactivity = Not sure how I would score this as how long would you have to be inactive for before qualifying, and what about Joe Louis's inactivity during the war would the next defense count for points.
                      Undisputed Champion = 20 points (This is a possibility, but is it just for actually unifying more than 1 title, or are we to include winning an undisputed title as Holyfield did from Douglas, and Bowe from Holyfield)
                      Undefeated = 20 points for retiring undefeated and 10 points for retiring as champion ala Jeffries,Louis and Lewis. Marciano would score a further 30 points here.

Comment

Working...
                      X