Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had Klitchko winning the first 2 rounds. Lewis wasn't getting his shots in, and wasn't throwing much. He looked old and uncomfortable, both actually. At times it looked like a wrestling match. Vitali was landing his right in the 2nd round, they were starting to connect. So he had his old 1-2 going while Lewis was still sloppy and not yet in the fight, however, he blocked many right hands from Klitchko.

Lewis came out strong in the 3rd round, and was more accurate. He was getting Klitchko off balance with his jab(If he was in his prime, he would have used this and picked him apart, winning the fight. Lewis looked shot in 03) this allowed him to land some shots. But Klitchko kept coming although being more active, Lewis landed the better more meaningful punches IMO, and didn't hold as much. So I give Lennox this round but it was very close.

In the 4th, Vitali kept using his left jab over and over, was more active, landed the better shots etc, he wont this round.

In the 5th, Lewis looked more focused, I think he listened to Manny. Coming out strong landing good shots. Looks like he got advice from his corner to hit the clinching Klitchko's body over and over. It was effective. :40 right hand from hell from Lewis. I give this round to Lennox as well.

Lewis won the 6th because of his chopping uppercuts. I looked closely at the end of the 6th, Lewis wasn't done. He was so close to his corner, you couldn't see him wobbling and he looked like this at the end of the 3rd and other rounds where he still came out strong. I'm not convinced he was done.

Lewis went out like a true champion, he didn't hold like Klitchko, and kept coming forward even when he had no legs or stamina. A true Lion. Vitali had no sportsmanship unlike Lewis, who also helped him get up when they both fell down in the early rounds.
    So anyway, this was very close. I have it 3-3 looking at it now but I might change it when I watch this fight more often. I think round 3 was very close and many have that one for Vitali, I might too later. So it was either 3-3, or 4-2 for Klitchko. Hardly a domination, especially in the 6th, not 10th or something.
    About the stoppage, this was a case of having a chin too good for your own good, if you can look at it that way. A handful of men could keep taking uppercuts and right hands like that from Lennox Lewis. Look at Vitali's face, this shows it. If it would of continued, Lewis would have ripped his face open, seriously damaged him etc. A fair win for Lewis.

Comment

• Originally posted by hurricane72 View Post

Top 10 Worst Heavyweight Champions of all-time
      1> Franceso Damiani
      2> Corrie Sanders
      3> Chris Byrd
      4> Michael Bent
      5> Nickolay Valuev
      6> Lamon Brewster
      7> Frans Botha
      8> Greg Page
      9> John Tate
      10>Henry Akinwande
      I dont think Byrd and Brewster should be on the list.They made a few sucsessfull defences.
      Bruce Seldon should be on though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yaman View Post
        I had Klitchko winning the first 2 rounds. Lewis wasn't getting his shots in, and wasn't throwing much. He looked old and uncomfortable, both actually. At times it looked like a wrestling match. Vitali was landing his right in the 2nd round, they were starting to connect. So he had his old 1-2 going while Lewis was still sloppy and not yet in the fight, however, he blocked many right hands from Klitchko.

Lewis came out strong in the 3rd round, and was more accurate. He was getting Klitchko off balance with his jab(If he was in his prime, he would have used this and picked him apart, winning the fight. Lewis looked shot in 03) this allowed him to land some shots. But Klitchko kept coming although being more active, Lewis landed the better more meaningful punches IMO, and didn't hold as much. So I give Lennox this round but it was very close.

In the 4th, Vitali kept using his left jab over and over, was more active, landed the better shots etc, he wont this round.

In the 5th, Lewis looked more focused, I think he listened to Manny. Coming out strong landing good shots. Looks like he got advice from his corner to hit the clinching Klitchko's body over and over. It was effective. :40 right hand from hell from Lewis. I give this round to Lennox as well.

Lewis won the 6th because of his chopping uppercuts. I looked closely at the end of the 6th, Lewis wasn't done. He was so close to his corner, you couldn't see him wobbling and he looked like this at the end of the 3rd and other rounds where he still came out strong. I'm not convinced he was done.

Lewis went out like a true champion, he didn't hold like Klitchko, and kept coming forward even when he had no legs or stamina. A true Lion. Vitali had no sportsmanship unlike Lewis, who also helped him get up when they both fell down in the early rounds.
        So anyway, this was very close. I have it 3-3 looking at it now but I might change it when I watch this fight more often. I think round 3 was very close and many have that one for Vitali, I might too later. So it was either 3-3, or 4-2 for Klitchko. Hardly a domination, especially in the 6th, not 10th or something.
        About the stoppage, this was a case of having a chin too good for your own good, if you can look at it that way. A handful of men could keep taking uppercuts and right hands like that from Lennox Lewis. Look at Vitali's face, this shows it. If it would of continued, Lewis would have ripped his face open, seriously damaged him etc. A fair win for Lewis.
        Not a bad analysis, Lewis was the fair winner. Had it gone on who do you think would have won or been the more likely winner?

Comment

• Originally posted by number6 View Post
          I dont think Byrd and Brewster should be on the list.They made a few sucsessfull defences.
          Bruce Seldon should be on though.
          It's actually quite difficult doing your worst list, a case can be made for quite a few that I never put on. Bruce seldon was a poor champion, week chin, but although I never took into account how they would have done in head to heads, I would pick Seldon over Byrd and Brewster.

Comment

Not a bad analysis, Lewis was the fair winner. Had it gone on who do you think would have won or been the more likely winner?
            Well at that stage Lewis probably would have won since Vitali wouldn't be able to see with his left eye at all, and some people don't realise how it would of affected Klitchko's life and career if it went on any further. Also both in their primes, I don't think Vitali would make it that far either, the fight would always be stopped. Look at how many cuts he had, his chin was just too good, he would absorb all of Lewis' punches and eventually have some ugly cuts again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yaman View Post
              Well at that stage Lewis probably would have won since Vitali wouldn't be able to see with his left eye at all, and some people don't realise how it would of affected Klitchko's life and career if it went on any further. Also both in their primes, I don't think Vitali would make it that far either, the fight would always be stopped. Look at how many cuts he had, his chin was just too good, he would absorb all of Lewis' punches and eventually have some ugly cuts again.
              Yaman, thanks for replying. I would really like a good dicussion on the heavies with you and a few others like poet,brassangel,LRR,Ironman,Wiley,Foremancrossarm and the rest that have replied a few times on this post I don't want to trawl through all the pages, can't remember if you posted your top 10 list, could you do it for me please, also if you have time how about top 10 worst,favourite and underated. Most people that have replied to this thread have just given top 10 best, I would really be interested in seeing EVERYONE'S top10 best,worst,favourite and underated heavies. Once all have put there lists up, maybe we could all go through and discuss each one and see if we can come up with a list togeather, hard I know but it would be great to try. We'd all agree on the criteria for selection and then look at the stats and take it from there.

Comment

Yaman, thanks for replying. I would really like a good dicussion on the heavies with you and a few others like poet,brassangel,LRR,Ironman,Wiley,Foremancrossarm and the rest that have replied a few times on this post I don't want to trawl through all the pages, can't remember if you posted your top 10 list, could you do it for me please, also if you have time how about top 10 worst,favourite and underated.
                ** Not much into top 10 lists which become extremely difficult the further down you go on the list. The best is much easier.

Joe Louis should be the clear consensus best ever heavy.

The worst is clearly Leon who had a journeyman's career at best and KOed more than any heavy champ other than Jack Johnson.

Favorite is Jack Dempsey and George Foreman. Loved both.

Underrated is Sam Langford. Might not be competitive by modern standards of the heavy division, but he could KO anyone in his era and was the MAN of his era. No wonder he never got a title shot. Always looks bad to get KOed by a squatty little tarbaby with a squeaky voice, all the greatest respect accorded to little Sam.

Comment

• Best: Joe Louis

Worst: John Ruiz, or Leon Spinks

Favorite: Joe Frazier

Underrated: Sam Langford

I agree with LRR about top 10 lists. It's easier to justify the top half of a list, but extremely difficult once you start filtering down. 7-10 for me, for example, on a best-of list, variate from time to time, and even the fighters between 11-15 sometimes creep on there.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Brassangel;2660844]Best: Joe Louis

Worst: John Ruiz, or Leon Spinks

Favorite: Joe Frazier

Underrated: Sam Langford
                    QUOTE]

Ahem! I agree cept my Fav is either Louis, or Ali.

Comment

Yaman, thanks for replying. I would really like a good dicussion on the heavies with you and a few others like poet,brassangel,LRR,Ironman,Wiley,Foremancrossarm and the rest that have replied a few times on this post I don't want to trawl through all the pages, can't remember if you posted your top 10 list, could you do it for me please, also if you have time how about top 10 worst,favourite and underated. Most people that have replied to this thread have just given top 10 best, I would really be interested in seeing EVERYONE'S top10 best,worst,favourite and underated heavies. Once all have put there lists up, maybe we could all go through and discuss each one and see if we can come up with a list togeather, hard I know but it would be great to try. We'd all agree on the criteria for selection and then look at the stats and take it from there.
                      I don't remember posting a top 10, I don't really believe in top 10 ATG lists that much and i'd always change it, but it could be fun sometimes and I don't want to be boring I'll go with greatness alone:

1-Muhammad Ali
                      2-Joe Louis
                      3-Rocky Marciano
                      4-Larry Holmes
                      5-Jack Dempsey
                      6-Jack Johnson
                      7-Lennox Lewis
                      8-George Foreman
                      9-Jim Jeffries
                      10-Mike Tyson

Liston, Holyfield, Frazier, Tunney, Walcott and Charles would pop in there all the time if I made a list every few weeks.
                      Best: Louis, Ali

Worst: Spinks, Ruiz

Favorite: Tyson

Underrated: Patterson(Great fighter, never seen him mentioned in a Top 10 list, not even in the Heavyweights)

Comment

Working...
                      X