This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
    Tubbs was actually offered a reported $50,000 bonus if he came into the Tyson fight at 230lb or less. But ended up weighing around 237lbs, he was known for being a tubby guy but i do not think he had actual "rolls" in the Tyson fight.
    Yes you're right on, he looked in good shape in the Tyson fight, but so did many other opponents who ended up the sameway as Tubbs. Towards the last quarter or third of his very long career (retired aged 48),long after the Tyson fight, he had put on a lot of weight, and undoubtedly in some of those fights he may have had "rolls of fat" .. But not in the Tyson fight. Not that it helped, he ended up the same as many another "good shape" Tyson opponent. It's all there in Boxrec.

Comment

Tubbs was actually offered a reported $50,000 bonus if he came into the Tyson fight at 230lb or less. But ended up weighing around 237lbs, he was known for being a tubby guy but i do not think he had actual "rolls" in the Tyson fight.
      I think it was just unfortunate that his actual family name was "TUBBS", immediately giving a vision of a "tubby" guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
        Tsk tsk: Such vitriol! Seriously: You're the only person among the hundreds of people I've discussed boxing with over the decades who's EVER tried to clame Tubbs wasn't a fatty. Hell, they even made fun of his lard ass in the pages of Ring ****zine back in the day. When they were in Japan for the Tyson fight Tyson's team was woken up in the middle of night by an earthquake and one of Tyson's trainers said "somebody tell Tubbs to quit skipping rope at this time of night" (see "Fire And Fear" by Jose Torres). You are now the frontrunner for the "Bionic Simpleton Of The Year" award. I've seen plenty of fighters have their share of nuthuggers but you are truly the first I've run across that has a serious case of man-love for Tony ****ing Tubbs ffs. WTF?!? Is he your illegitimate daddy or something?

Poet
        Thank you for the award. You are beyond ******, and you don't know what to do about it. I'm not going to tell you, in fact this is the last communication I will dignify you by, little as you deserve any recognition from any poster. I can only open this thread occasionally now as I have no more time to waste, and am even busier in matters that count, than I was before retiring, more so in these fragile times.

Listen Mr. or Missus Poet, Stone Rose and whoever the hell else you hide behind. I've been involved in boxing for over 50 years, in nearly all aspects except professional promoting, as boxer, judge, trainer and enthusiastic spectator. My uncle was a promoter.

There has never been any real point in my exchanging insults with a dog such as you; I've seen some of the vile terms and comments you have sprayed on others. Somewhere in the middle of this thread, you were exposed by a poster, who sent in a variety of dirt, and obscenity written in by you under you "Poet" screen.

Little did I know then that I was in line to be a recipient of your noxious outpourings of drek.

I am a little ashamed of myself, that I involved myself in this disreputable exchange; fortunately, so far, none of my former students-many of whom are boxing followers- has contacted me about my contributions to this thread. SO, all you need to do, is bugger off, and spend the rest of your twisted life in charitable deeds.

Yours Very Truly,

Edgar G. Wallace

Comment

• Tony Tubbs could be named Tim Slim for all I care and he'd still look fat in the Tyson fight. Poet exaggerated a bit and IMO Galento was fatter, but Tony was still fat in that fight. No matter how high you pull up your trunks, if the circumference at the beltline is noticeably larger than your chest, you're fat.

Tubbs always had trouble with his weight, even in his youth, constantly bouncing around 20 or 30 pounds. In the Tyson fight, he was 10 pounds heavier than his previous fight 6 months prior FFS. Being in the ring with the phenomenally shaped Tyson probably made it look worse, but Tubbs was fat in that fight.

Obviously the standards for fat are tighter for a professional athlete, so if you're in similar shape and not one, this doesn't apply to you.

There does seem to be a bit too much attacking the poster, not the argument on these boards, but you only exacerbate matters by responding in kind.

And FTR a 226 lb (career high at that point) Larry Holmes (same height as Tubbs) was fat against Tyson as well.

Comment

10.Lennox Lewis : Defeated every man he went in the ring with, which is not something many boxers can say. Greatest ever british boxer extremely smart in the ring and very powerful.
            He's not better than Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by Demise View Post
              He's not better than Wilde.

That was a long time ago! i assume i meant best british heavyweight, if not then i was wrong!

Comment

• Ok here is my top 10.
                I am not basing this solely on talent or accomplishments. I will make my case for each fighter, but it shouldnt be looked at as a "who would beat who" ranking.

1) Muhammad Ali. Possessed hand and foot speed unseen before or since. Was undefeated before the three year layoff and had beaten every man he had faced prior to 80's comeback where the effects of Parkinsons were already showing. He beat Sonny Liston and George Foreman when both were considered nearly invincible. He had his prime years robbed from him and despite losing a considerable amount of skill, he found a way to emerge as the best fighter of a very deep 1970's era. Could absorb amazing amounts of punishment and change up styles to win. Deserves recognition for his refusal to be inducted becoming a central figure in a cultural revolution of the late 60's, that ultimately resulted in him being looked upon as a hero when he he had been vilified before.

2) Joe Louis. Undisputed heavyweight champion for 11 years and had the most consecutive title defenses. Only 1 loss prior to first retirement which was avenged. Defeated 6 Heavyweight champs during his career. Devastating puncher for his era, but a smart one in that he would set traps for his opponents. Could throw powerful and effective combinations. First black heavyweight champ since Jack Johnson and his era ended their exclusion, he also became a black American hero with his defeat of Schmeling. Drawbacks were a lack of quality opposition during his reign, the champs that he beat are not highly thought of. The Billy Conn fight showed that he could be vulnerable to a good boxer.

3) Larry Holmes. Reigned for 8 years and ran his record to 48-0, with the most consecutive title defenses outside of Louis. Like Ali he had great hand and foot speed. Two losses before first retirement were controversial. Showed an ability to get up from tremendous shots, not many would have survived the punches Shavers landed on him. Unappreciated to a degree because he was between Ali and Tyson. Didnt have the best opposition, and he could get lazy in fights getting caught with punches he shouldnt have. Great skill and title reign though put him up on the list.

4) Jack Johnson. Broke the color barrier and was miles ahead of his competition for the day. Was champion for 7 years. Defeated the best of the black heavyweights and reigned as the Colored champ for 5 years before winning the recognized world title. Unjustly prosecuted because of his accomplishments and his brazen attitude.

5) Rocky Marciano. 49-0 says it all. No other heavyweight champ has left unbeaten. Not a good boxer but a tremendous puncher with great stamina. Stepped up his game under adversity, probably the best trait you can have. Its hard to say how he would do against more modern boxers with his small size. However that special 49-0 along with intangibles that he showed give him this rank.

6) Mike Tyson. A shooting star, he gets this rank because of his devastating skill during his brief reign. Unbelievable hand speed and power, and he used it effectively when trained by Rooney. Youngest champ ever and probably the most devastating. Technique and dedication slipped as he pushed those who cared for him away and was eaten alive by mental demons. Four years in prison took away what was left of those special skills.

7) Lennox Lewis. Not a huge fan, but he did defeat everyone he faced, was a 3 time champion. Huge size causes matchup problems for virtually everyone. Didnt face the other great fighters of his era until they were well past it. He did avenge his losses but they still came to fighters well below his skill level, something the others on this list did not do. Could be troubled a good jab.

8) George Foreman 2 time champion twenty years apart. Maybe the hardest puncher in heavyweight history was overwhelming to most that he faced. However he had sloppy technique in his first career and a weak psyche. He did not have these problems the second time around but without the same skill.

9) Joe Frazier. Great left hook, this guy just kept coming at you no matter what. Relentless swarmer who could pound you into submission even after taking numerous shots. This is his main flaw, big time punchers could pose a problem. Amazing heart shown the Ali and Foreman fights. Fought in a great period of boxing. Was never really the same after the first fight with Ali.

10) Jack Dempsey. Gets on the list for popularizing boxing during his time. Had the same effect that Ruth had on baseball. Tremendous puncher, but again hard to compare to modern fighters like Johnson and Marciano. Avoided the black fighters and was outboxed by Tunney, though he was past his prime.

Just missed the list
                Sonny Liston, Evander Holyfield.

Comment

• I enjoyed the above post Panthershock, good read.

My top 10 differs as I am guilty for that who beats who syndrome. But on the basis of pure legend that is a damn good list. I'd be tempted to have Holyfield included, but thats just me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                    I enjoyed the above post Panthershock, good read.

My top 10 differs as I am guilty for that who beats who syndrome. But on the basis of pure legend that is a damn good list. I'd be tempted to have Holyfield included, but thats just me.
                    Who beats who is not something to be considered guilty of. It is the main parameter as long as considering other parameters as long as age , size , physical states at the time of the fights. excuses do matter and should count.

Comment

• I suppose its because legend does matter to a degree.

I'll give you an example, Ike Ibeabuchi was a superb heavyweight, fast hands, power, solid chin, work rate, aggression. This man could have been the next great heavyweight. It didn't happen, he is currently in jail on charges of a ***ual nature.

After watching his fights with David Tua and Chris Byrd (as well as a few 'lesser' opponents) it would be very easy to say that he would be a match for many heavyweight champions. I certainly wouldn't bet on Dempsey, Tunney, Frazier, Walcott or Marciano beating him.

SO, does he deserve to be ranked higher than these legends just because he looked great and may well have won in a prime head to head match up? No!

I forget where I posted it but I always post up two top ten lists. One for legend and one for Prime for prime perceived superiority. Rid**** Bowe for example doesn't make it into the legends list but he does make it into the prime for prime matchup list.

Comment

Working...
                      X