X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GJC View Post
    Fatter than Galento though?
    Lets just say Galento was short for his weight
    Seriously! You should go back and rewatch Tyson-Tubbs......the fat is just grotesque :sh0ck:

Poet

Comment

• Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
      Maybe because the casual fan only cares about names? Why was the public demanding Holmes Vs. Ali?

He didn't ake those fights on 5 weeks notice after a two year retirement either. In case id didn't occur to you Holmes lost a landslide to Holyfield and only beat Mercer because Ray fought the dumbest fight in the history of mankind.

More evidence of how bad the 80s were for Heavyweights: ABC belts handed to undeserving fighters like trinkets.

Trevor Berbick was a CHAMPION in 1986.

What? You finished enjoying rosy and want a taste? :jerk0ff:

Dokes, Tubbs, and Page (and numerous others) dis-graced to top ranks of Heavyweights in the 80s with their repeted appearances in the ring sporting fat rolls and moobies.

BTW.....in the Golden Era of Heavyweights in the 1970s there was a ranked contender named Buster Mathis who was well known for his obesity in the ring.

Translation: You post the worst pic of Galento you can find and a pic of Tubbs at the time of his pro debut when he was semi-in-shape. Nice try Junior.

Sorry, but the fact that you happen to be a Tyson fan doesn't get him off the hook for criticism. I don't put fighters on untouchable pedastools. They are all open to study and dissection: Whithout that is no academic discussion. If you aren't comfortable with academic discourse on fighters because it inevitably brings up negative things about fighters you happen to be a fan of then prehaps you should take your act over to NSB with the mindless fan-bois and skip the Boxing History section :waiting:

Poet
      Haven't had time to look in lately, and now it's after 2 a.m. Just wanted to say that I particularly followed news about Buster Mathis both during his amateur days and his professional career. He was about 6' 2" or 3, naturally big framed and full bodied. he trained hard, but could never acquire that slim waist, and massive chest. Fought most of his career weighing in the low 200's but towards the end of his career ballooned another 50 lbs or so.

There was a lot of publicity about him as an amateur, this fat kid who moved around the ring as if he were on roller skates. He was very good, so he was brought along far too quickly, fought the top guys before he was ready although gave a good account of himself. I think he used to fight 3 0r 4 times in quick succession, say over a month or 2 months, then take a break for 4-5 months then the same thing over again. He fought Jerry Quarry and some other top guy within a month or so, and I think he lost both.

His forte was that he was exceedingy fast on his feet around the ring, had a heavy punch, and was a strong competitor of Joe Frazier's. Actually strongly fancied to beat him, as he had done as an amateur.

Comment

• Originally posted by smallbutstrong View Post
        90% of your post involves insults. If you can't debate like an adult, I don't wanna waste my time with you. Therefore, I consider this a win on my part.

But by all means, believe whatever you want you crazy bastard.
        Chaver, this guy is poison, loz em tze frieden. For your information, I was around during Tony Galento's career. He was small, about 5'7-8" . and very overweigbnt, he was obese actually, all stomach. Had a pub, and served both as barman and chucker out. So he was really only a part time boxer. he was always in the news, smoking cigars whilst traini g, boasting that he trained on beer, and often shown heaving barrels of beer around.

He made the famous comment, according to reporters, in an interview, when asked about a potential opponent, (maybe Louis ?) he replied "I'll moider de bum", it went on like this and one asked him, "what do you think of Einstein? and he replied, that he didn't know who he was, but he'd moider him too. He was a local character, and played the part very well.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
          Firstly, thanks for the kind words and for posting your list. This thread used to be very active and usually debates were made in good taste and people just agreed to disagree, with something as individual as a top 10 list its hard to convince someone they are wrong anyway! What we usually found is people have the same 10 fighters just in a different order.

It is interesting to see both the Klitschko's in your list, do you care to explain why you rate them over fighters that you have missed out, that are commonly found on other peoples lists, such as Holmes, Tyson, Frazier and Marciano?
          Sorry Iron Man, that I haven't answered your post yet. I will, I just peeked in to have a quick look, and got wrapped up in "Poet's" usual barney with another poster, and didn't scan back as far as yours until now. It's nearly 3.30 a.m. and i must try to get some sleep.

Comment

Tony Tubbs was about the fattest dude I've ever seen in the ring......when he showed that cavernous butt crack when Tyson KOed him I about lost my Budweiser

Poet
            I had thought that you were pretty smart and knowledgeable, and although I didn't like you, I respected your understanding of boxing. Now I'm seriously beginning to wonder. You allow yourself to be deluded for over 25 years. What am i talking about?? I'll tell you.

I myself had a look at the Tubbs-Tyson fight, since I never saw these "rolls of fat" and
            "butt cracks" you were drooling about. What the hell is a but crack anyway? Never mind I can guess, although I never use such crudities, this is the first time ever.

I carefully watched Tubbs boxing trunks when he was hit and eventually went down. They were PULLED HIGH ON HIS WAIST. The waist band was TIGHT. When he went down IT NEVER MOVED. Whilst he was lying on the canvas, and being supported and attended to they still NEVER MOVED. That "butt crack" you so coarsely refer to was nothing more that the division between the arm and chest of his left side. NOTHING MORE THAN THAT.

SO....wipe off your specs, blionk your eyes a few dozen times, and then look AGAIN. And AGAIN if you need to. THEN look for the "rolls of (non-existent) fat"> Then apologise to EVERYONE, including the poster who wrote to you about you not having a good tony Tubbs rolls of fat dispute for a few weeks. ALSO apologise profusely to the (probably) thousands of innocent posters that you've been viciously insulting for the past many years. In fact I'd be pleased-as would many others- if you scurried away altogether.

Dumbo!!

Comment

• Originally posted by edgarg View Post
              I had thought that you were pretty smart and knowledgeable, and although I didn't like you, I respected your understanding of boxing. Now I'm seriously beginning to wonder. You allow yourself to be deluded for over 25 years. What am i talking about?? I'll tell you.

I myself had a look at the Tubbs-Tyson fight, since I never saw these "rolls of fat" and
              "butt cracks" you were drooling about. What the hell is a but crack anyway? Never mind I can guess, although I never use such crudities, this is the first time ever.

I carefully watched Tubbs boxing trunks when he was hit and eventually went down. They were PULLED HIGH ON HIS WAIST. The waist band was TIGHT. When he went down IT NEVER MOVED. Whilst he was lying on the canvas, and being supported and attended to they still NEVER MOVED. That "butt crack" you so coarsely refer to was nothing more that the division between the arm and chest of his left side. NOTHING MORE THAN THAT.

SO....wipe off your specs, blionk your eyes a few dozen times, and then look AGAIN. And AGAIN if you need to. THEN look for the "rolls of (non-existent) fat"> Then apologise to EVERYONE, including the poster who wrote to you about you not having a good tony Tubbs rolls of fat dispute for a few weeks. ALSO apologise profusely to the (probably) thousands of innocent posters that you've been viciously insulting for the past many years. In fact I'd be pleased-as would many others- if you scurried away altogether.

Dumbo!!

Comment

• Originally posted by edgarg View Post
                He made the famous comment, according to reporters, in an interview, when asked about a potential opponent, (maybe Louis ?) he replied "I'll moider de bum", it went on like this and one asked him, "what do you think of Einstein? and he replied, that he didn't know who he was, but he'd moider him too. He was a local character, and played the part very well.
                Believe it was Shakespeare actually, Galento asked was it one of those English Heavyweights.........

Comment

Seriously! You should go back and rewatch Tyson-Tubbs......the fat is just grotesque :sh0ck:

Poet
                  Wouldn't argue that Tubbs was seriously out of shape and Galento had 500 times the heart Tubbs had IMO, but Galento was fat my friend

Comment

Wouldn't argue that Tubbs was seriously out of shape and Galento had 500 times the heart Tubbs had IMO, but Galento was fat my friend
                    I never said Galento wasn't fat. I'm pointing out that there have been plenty of seriously obese Heavyweights hanging around the top of the division so it's pretty disingenuous for people who are trying to discredit older eras to constantly bring up Galento when they need only look to their favorite eras to find examples of ranked fatties.

Poet

Comment

Believe it was Shakespeare actually, Galento asked was it one of those English Heavyweights.........
                      Oh YES, you are right, it's a long time ago, my only excuse, apologies. He was quite a character, boasting that he trained best on beer.

Comment

Working...
                      X