Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=marciano1952;35274hr said that they wold have beaten someoe they lost to after there prime if they were in there prime as well I tik Louis said the same hing about Marciano Its ust a way o showing respect to the other guy[/QUOTE]

Thing is there was no respect between them. It was Black Vs White, jeffries was very racist and i found it hard to see him saying that out of respect. The reason he fought johnson to show how black men werent better than white men.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
      Thing is there was no respect between them. It was Black Vs White, jeffries was very racist and i found it hard to see him saying that out of respect. The reason he fought johnson to show how black men werent better than white men.
      The reason he fought Johnson was caus of the pressure from the people around him for him to fight johnson

if you wanna go by what each man said at the time Jeffries offerd to fight johnson in a non sanctioned fight for the title and johnson refused

and were the prof that he was racist he fought many black Fighters on his way up you cant go by the title fights caus johnson himself drew the color barrier also Burns was the only one up until Braddock that didnt

Comment

• ***Edit***
        Last edited by Yogi; 05-24-2008, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• If anyone is up for it, I'll do the consensus as it looks like Hawkins isn't coming back.

Let me know if you want to be included

Comment

** Well, you've already shown your bulb is dimming daily.

Jeffries fought Johnson because Jack London and the rest of the boxing media whipped the fight up until it became a superfight. Jeffries was offered 4-5x as much money as he ever made for a fight before. It got to the point over that 6 yrs where it became more foolish to turn down such a staggering amount of money than it would be to attempt, not even a proper comeback, but a one time championship fight against the current top heavy. It's a credit to Jeffries that he attempted what has never been accomplished and managed to whip himself into something that resembled his prime. It's also a credit that he never made any excuses about the fight, giving Johnson his due.

It seems you like to excuse your own racism by attacking those whose jocks you can't ever carry and who are not around to set the record straight.

Jeffries was one of the most advanced fighters in terms of social relations with black fighters in his day. He may not have met your standards for good conduct, but you certainly don't meet mine on a number of fronts.

Comment

• Never Made excuses! Read his autobiography man he claims he was drugged before the fight.Wotever, im tired about debating someone who had 21 fights and never properly proved themselves, and in no way could be in the top 10 IMO. But as we say thats the whole point of lists they are subjectibe.

And yeh Hurricaine Include me in that!
              Last edited by The Iron Man; 05-26-2008, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Never Made excuses! Read his autobiography man he claims he was drugged before the fight.Wotever, im tired about debating someone who had 21 fights and never properly proved themselves, and in no way could be in the top 10 IMO. But as we say thats the whole point of lists they are subjectibe.

Sems like thats the only Defense you have is that he only had 21 fights and thats realy dosent count being that he stayed near a top level for his whole career and not pading his recourd with easy comp at the start like fighters do now days

Comment

Never Made excuses! Read his autobiography man he claims he was drugged before the fight.Wotever, im tired about debating someone who had 21 fights and never properly proved themselves, and in no way could be in the top 10 IMO. But as we say thats the whole point of lists they are subjectibe.

Who fought more hall of famers than James J. Jeffries? Your claims that he was a racist is as laughable as most of your posts.

Comment

• Originally posted by marciano1952 View Post
                    Sems like thats the only Defense you have is that he only had 21 fights and thats realy dosent count being that he stayed near a top level for his whole career and not pading his recourd with easy comp at the start like fighters do now days
                    He didnt fight great fighters in there prime, yes he was a good fighter. But he doesnt deserve to be on the top 10 list. He didnt show enough of himslef its as simple as that.
                    And im not going to bother reading your post Jim Jeffries as i placed you on my ignore list a while ago.

Comment

He didnt fight great fighters in there prime, yes he was a good fighter. But he doesnt deserve to be on the top 10 list. He didnt show enough of himslef its as simple as that.
                      And im not going to bother reading your post Jim Jeffries as i placed you on my ignore list a while ago.
                      Just put a thread up in NSB regarding the consensus. Gonna try and get as many as possible to pm me their top 10 lists and then compile the results next week.

Comment

Working...
                      X