Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what was your first day in the boxing gym like, how sore were you?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what was your first day in the boxing gym like, how sore were you?

alright, i finally decided to go to the gym and i went to the wrong place, where they had a ring set up for fights that are happening today, the gym instructor came in and told me to go to the smaller gym and when he got there told me to run 2 laps, then got back and he had us doing other exercises. after that i got to hit the bags, but i wasn't wearing hand wraps or proper boxing gloves. i was wearing some bull**** gloves that were recommended to me by some big 5 employee. they did not really protect my hands so i didn't get to hit the bag hard enough, mostly arm punches and when i tried to put my body into my straight right, hand got ****ed up. but the next time i go, i'll wrap my hands and wear 16 oz training gloves by everlast. haha, some kids came in trying to hit the speedbag and was throwing hard punches at it, trying to show off i guess. i got to see some people spar. i'm a big dude myself, a super-heavyweight and there was only two other guys closer to my size, and some kids. the gym is filled mostly with kids, all who are in better shape than me (big surprise). i think i am the oldest guy in the gym so far at 20 years old. there are also girls training there. i'm sore as hell from my legs and sides of my chest, and i haven't been there in two days, i'll be back on monday, hoping that i feel better. was anyone else sore as hell after the first day?

my first day was

shadowboxing but only throwing jabs...speed bag which i was really embarrassed at because i was horrible...jump rope which i was horrible...and heavybag i hurt my hands and wrists because i didnt have wraps on

Comment

i was great except i felt like i was going to throw up, i have thrown up they work us so hard

Comment

I had done power cleans and squats the day before in the gym, so I was not ready for the 2 mile run/30 min jump rope combo. It was hell. But I went back for more. Still do.

Comment

my first day was just shadow boxing and jump roping

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
            I had done power cleans and squats the day before in the gym, so I was not ready for the 2 mile run/30 min jump rope combo. It was hell. But I went back for more. Still do.
            **** YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! always go back for more

Comment

30 mins skippin 30mins group cardio/stretches then i had to practice the jab for a while did this for about a week. I got a nice jab now tho

Wasnt sore tho im young recover fast

Comment

my first day wasnt so bad, but my 2nd day really killed my legs. I had never really jumped rope ever, so I did alot of jump rope in the gym my 2nd night, and the next couple of days I barely walk, i was damn near crippled my legs were so shot

Comment

Erm, I couldnt skip so I warmed up by jogging on the spot.

I couldnt throw the shots, so I was given 1 to 1 tuition on how to throw a jab, which I mastered properly about a week later.

I couldnt do the groundwork routines too well. But i scraped through on the fitness I had walking into the gym and was sore for about a week. I couldnt laugh because my abs were hurting that much...

When it came to hitting the heavybag I just hit it as slow as possible to try and learn the technique. Probably did everything wrong.

So yeah, to get onto the learning curve I am on now I had to struggle through that. But once you get everything down half well you can really start picking up and learning quickly. Within 6 months I was throwing every shot you can throw, skipping proficiently and had a reasonable level of fitness. Now I am a classic skipper, hit the bags and pads hard and with technical ability and can tear through the groundwork routines quicker than everyone else. Not to mention run 4 miles quicker than everyone in the club, continually surprise my trainers with my athletic ability, and knock people down with single shots in sparring.

Comment

My first day at an actual gym -- not "boxing fitness" bull**** -- was 60 minutes of heinous cardio on a circuit: burpees, squat-thrusts, skipping rope, shadowboxing, crunches, chin-ups, punch-out drills, medicine ball throws, etc. with instruction on how to do the exercises, and then 30 minutes of light-contact skills sparring: learning parries, IIRC. I was praying for death after about ten minutes and the next day I was more sore than I'd ever been. The second day was the worst, if memory serves.

Keep going back. Someone on this board said it best: "Show them you're strong on the inside, and they'll show you how to be strong on the outside."

Comment

Working...
                    X