Switching Your Style

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching Your Style

So today I just got my ASS KICKED!

Not complaining, but emphasizing the degree to which I was beat. My coach really likes my movement, but he said that the way I fight won't be sustainable against a good pressure fighter. Anyways, he wanted to see me take the middle and become the agressor.

I got ROCKED in back to back rounds. It got to the point where I couldn't feel the punches anymore, and I was just hoping the guy would punch himself out so I can get a break.

Part of was I wasn't expecting the punch (we were only working with jab and the straight) I was getting caught with the hook and uppercut. The other part was I have never been hit by more than 3 punches in a row.

Is it normal to get caught when getting away from your natural style? Or is it one of those lessons that everyone has to go throught?

Any tips would be much appreciated.

work on your defense and stamina, you need to learn to get away from punches and control the ring

against pressure fighters i found using movement as much as possible and using the jab very successful, also when they come in hit them with straights/hooks/uppercuts just so they can respect your power and think twice

the longer you can last and move around the safer you are with winning

Comment

Originally posted by patshan View Post
      So today I just got my ASS KICKED!

Not complaining, but emphasizing the degree to which I was beat. My coach really likes my movement, but he said that the way I fight won't be sustainable against a good pressure fighter. Anyways, he wanted to see me take the middle and become the agressor.

I got ROCKED in back to back rounds. It got to the point where I couldn't feel the punches anymore, and I was just hoping the guy would punch himself out so I can get a break.

Part of was I wasn't expecting the punch (we were only working with jab and the straight) I was getting caught with the hook and uppercut. The other part was I have never been hit by more than 3 punches in a row.

Is it normal to get caught when getting away from your natural style? Or is it one of those lessons that everyone has to go throught?

Any tips would be much appreciated.
      Yes it is normal to get caught going away from your natural style especially when you're fighting the other guy in his natural style.

It is a lesson you need to go through otherwise you will become one dimensional.

There will be a time where you might face someone that has a boxer style and can outbox you - in those situations you might have to play the aggressor.

Comment

I dont know much, but here's my take;

Personally, im more of an aggressive come forward fighter (against guys around my size). When i spar against guys alot bigger than me, that are also agressive, usually my come forward style gets me in trouble. What i have found most effective against these guys is not stepping forward, but stepping back, letting them close the distance and as soon as they do unloading counters/combos. Also, no matter what your style, a jab will be one of your greatest friends, to both the head and body.

edit: it gets to a point when countering that he gets tagged with a couple hard shots coming in, to where he thinks twice and starts questioing himself. This is a good opportunity for you to start imposing yourself on him.
        Last edited by ~AK49~; 07-05-2012, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Hey it happens to everybody, don't feel down about it just train harder and work on different styles with your coaches to be more versitile. Just have two questions; what is your style of fighting and how experienced was the other guy?

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
            Hey it happens to everybody, don't feel down about it just train harder and work on different styles with your coaches to be more versitile. Just have two questions; what is your style of fighting and how experienced was the other guy?
            I am definitely a mover. I don't like getting hit, and it will be an absolute rarity to see me staying in one spot for more than 2seconds throughout sparring. I like to stay to on my toes, bounce around, move to the side, feint, throw 1 or 2 punches, then get back on my toes.

We are only working the jab and the straight right now. The first guy that landed what felt like a 7 punch combination to my head has trained in Muay Thai for 7months and has been going to the boxing gym for 2months. I have been able to win some rounds (definitely the minority of rounds) against him with my normal style.

The other guy has been boxing for the same time as me. I am able to beat him comfortably going backwards.

We are only working the jab and the straight. The punches that caused me to see nothing but black and/or buckle were hooks and uppercuts. **** happens in sparring. People get carried away, forget what their working on, or get sloppy. I am more concerned about me getting hit MUCH more frequently taking the middle of the ring and apply pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by patshan View Post
              I am definitely a mover. I don't like getting hit, and it will be an absolute rarity to see me staying in one spot for more than 2seconds throughout sparring. I like to stay to on my toes, bounce around, move to the side, feint, throw 1 or 2 punches, then get back on my toes.

We are only working the jab and the straight right now. The first guy that landed what felt like a 7 punch combination to my head has trained in Muay Thai for 7months and has been going to the boxing gym for 2months. I have been able to win some rounds (definitely the minority of rounds) against him with my normal style.

The other guy has been boxing for the same time as me. I am able to beat him comfortably going backwards.

We are only working the jab and the straight. The punches that caused me to see nothing but black and/or buckle were hooks and uppercuts. **** happens in sparring. People get carried away, forget what their working on, or get sloppy. I am more concerned about me getting hit MUCH more frequently taking the middle of the ring and apply pressure.
              I understand he importance of your coach focusing on jsut the two punches, so they you become proficient with them, but you should atleast talk to your coach about incorporating a hook into your training. Especially with your style man, a counter hook will work wonders. By far i have hurt the most people with that punch.

Comment

Working...
              X