Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

specific weight cut question. please help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• specific weight cut question. please help!

Specific weight cut question.

I have a amateur boxer I train. Open class 152 lb division.today is Tues the 27.he has a same day weigh in and fight this Saturday the 31st at 7pm. Today pre workout at 520pm he weighed 158.6 post work out at 640pm, he weighed 155.6....

My question is this, would it be better to do a hard weight cut say tomorrow (wed) , to get him to fight weight and then have him monitor his intake the next few days.....or just have him cut the day of......is it better to dehydrate over the course of a couple days....or just one ....any advice on this or any sure way to make 152 by sat and still be able to perform.....my guy is in good shape by the way...thanks

No insight?

Comment

I haven't trained an amatuer boxing team since 1985 but started in 1968 and never heard of a 152lbs class! I was a state chairman (Conn) and Region One team coach that instructed at the Colo. Olympic Center so I know something about the amatuer side of boxing.
      My preference would be to chip away the weight starting now (day to day a little taken away) and leave a pound to drop 18 hours prior to weight in. Without knowing your students matabolizm and body fat percentage I can only guess at a plan.
      I'm very old school about a few pounds taken off and I prefer using an activity the individual does well to shed the weight. If he jumps rope well I'd put the plastic garbage bag on him (not heavy rubber suit) and skip out while chewing gum and spitting often.
      So much has to do with the weigh in time prior to the show to gage when you begin to be able to rehydrate so you don't enter ring with a "full" feeling.
      Why not get with another coach and see if theres a simular boxer with the same problem who also has simular experience. If its not a qualifier to a state and regional tourny why not allow a pound or two.
      Getting back to weights in that area I believe it was 147/156/165/178 that was USA/ABF state/reg./ and national weights!!
      If you could have made 152 he should hit it 2 days out, if its a struggle for him I prefer moving up in class. I never liked a weight struggle for kids (20 & under) drying a kid out then rehydrating can be dangerous and should be tried during training not training for a show or tourny. Then you learn how the individuals react to that process. Good luck and let me know about the exsisting weight classes? Who runs the usa amatuers now a days? Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
        I haven't trained an amatuer boxing team since 1985 but started in 1968 and never heard of a 152lbs class! I was a state chairman (Conn) and Region One team coach that instructed at the Colo. Olympic Center so I know something about the amatuer side of boxing.
        My preference would be to chip away the weight starting now (day to day a little taken away) and leave a pound to drop 18 hours prior to weight in. Without knowing your students matabolizm and body fat percentage I can only guess at a plan.
        I'm very old school about a few pounds taken off and I prefer using an activity the individual does well to shed the weight. If he jumps rope well I'd put the plastic garbage bag on him (not heavy rubber suit) and skip out while chewing gum and spitting often.
        So much has to do with the weigh in time prior to the show to gage when you begin to be able to rehydrate so you don't enter ring with a "full" feeling.
        Why not get with another coach and see if theres a simular boxer with the same problem who also has simular experience. If its not a qualifier to a state and regional tourny why not allow a pound or two.
        Getting back to weights in that area I believe it was 147/156/165/178 that was USA/ABF state/reg./ and national weights!!
        If you could have made 152 he should hit it 2 days out, if its a struggle for him I prefer moving up in class. I never liked a weight struggle for kids (20 & under) drying a kid out then rehydrating can be dangerous and should be tried during training not training for a show or tourny. Then you learn how the individuals react to that process. Good luck and let me know about the exsisting weight classes? Who runs the usa amatuers now a days? Ray.
        Thank you sir for ur insight! ..my guy is 21...he has about twenty fights. He is about 5 ten...toned but not ripped I would say...in good shape though....the class above and below him now are 141....152.....165.....his fight Saturday is part of the pa golden gloves tournament ....the man in his weight on a national level is Errol Spence ...who will be going to the Olympic s ......

Comment

My gym team boxed in the Gloves atleast 6 years in a row before the tourny got to political to be worth going to back then, I hope its changed. Those are pretty wide weight classes 11 to 13 pound differences is a bit more than it used to be. Most all factions followed the USA/ABF weight classes that were also the same internationally because its simply more sense to follow international classes.
          I would get those few off of him or decide to let him box in a new class. Facing favorites can be very difficult because reputations proceed when a close outcome appears.
          I had a novice box in the open and he went to the Regionals and was matched with Floyd Mayweather (senior)(guessing 1983 in Mass.) I was asked to decline the bout and Mayweather would go to the nationals uncontested. Yeah right hahaha my youngster fought him and most felt he won but the judges went with the far more experienced boxer who was Mayweather. I don't have a huge problem with that choice because I knew how the game was played. Problem is explaining it to the fighter who feels something was taken from him.
          Good luck and theres always choices to consider for each and every competitor, being a coach has alot of responsibility to it! Ray.

Comment

Working...
          X